Notary Rotary
Help! Cancellation
Notary Discussion History

Help! Cancellation
Go Back to January, 2004 Index

Posted by anonymous on 1/24/04 10:16am
Msg #743

Help! Cancellation

Hello. I'm a newbie (3 weeks) and ran into my first problem today. I am really hoping for some advice. I was contacted yesterday (Friday) around 4pm by a signing company and asked to do a closing this morning (Saturday). By the time I received the email on the docs, it was after business hours for the lender, the signing service and the tech support. I spent over 3 hours attempting to download the docs. When I finally did reach someone this morning at the signing service, they instructed me to go to Staples and have them download & print the docs. I was hesistant to do this because I have heard so many stories about not being paid that I didn't want to spend money out of my own pocket, but since I am new and don't want to create a bad name for myself, I did it anyways. I drove to Staples in a snowstorm and even they were unable to print out the docs. They printed out as gibberish. By now, I had about 4 hours invested in this, the closing was in an hour and still no docs. I had to call and cancel. The signing service was not pleased, to say the least. But I really felt I did everything in my power to make it happen. Now I am worried about creating a bad name for myself. How would you have handled the situation? Please help! Thanks for your time.

Reply by Anonymous on 1/24/04 12:03pm
Msg #744

Hi Newbie:
It could happen to anyone. I would have not spent that long attempting to download the edocs. After an hour I would have called Staples to see if maybe they could do it. Considering the weather conditions. It all depends on the person there running the system as well. And the SS person sending them.
I have had gibberish come through in the middle of downloading docs only to learn it was the fault of the person at the "Lenders" office sending it out.
But don't worry, the SS probably will never have to relate the story to anyone else. I wouldn't use them as a reference however.
And you will get more calls and more signings, and that one will be only a memory that you eventually will forget.
It gets easier and better as you go along.

Reply by Roger/OH on 1/24/04 12:34pm
Msg #745

There are a number of reasons why docs might not print. Did you establish beforehand what format they were sending them in, and that your pc/printer was compatible? Some lenders provide you a download for their docs. Given the lateness of the day and the short notice, you might've also asked for an after-hours number in case you had difficulty. Finally, rather than cancelling with the ss, I'd have asked the borrowers if they could perhaps go a bit later in the day, rather than lose the signing and all you put into it. Then the ss could have provided you some additional help and
would likely have an emergency number for the lender. Email docs are often unpredictable and more often than not late, so your combination had good odds of going sour, especially on a weekend. I'd call the ss and apologize - it can (and does) happen to anyone with emails.

Reply by Donna McGee on 1/24/04 4:12pm
Msg #748

Hi there,
If you don't have the necessary software for the docs or they don't print well, ask the company to scan the docs and send them to you in .pdf format. It takes them about 2 minutes to do and you shouldn't have a problem printing. If they don't want to do this for you, I wouldn't advise working with them in the future. They need to close the loan and should be willing to do whatever they can to assist you.
If it takes me longer than 15 - 30 minutes to start printing, it's time to go to option B. I seem to always have a problem with .rcn documents for some reason. Either I can't print more than one copy or I can't print at all.
It looks like you did the best you could, so continue to feel good about that. Remember, your time is valuable.

Reply by Anonymous on 1/25/04 2:52pm
Msg #756

Hi Newbie-
I'm a newbie too. I just worked my first set of edocs yesterday. Got a call form a ss I'd never worked with in the morning. They had gotten my name from the Notary Rotary site. Sent me the docs around 3:00PM along with a link to download the viewer to print out the docs. Since I only have an ink jet printer it took quite a while to print out 110 pages (Ameriquest). Did have some minor problems but they walked me through them. The whole thing was kind of stressful since I wanted to make a good first impression. Now that I've been through it once I believe it will be easier the next time. Think you will probably find that to be the case too.

Reply by Anonymous on 1/25/04 5:42pm
Msg #759

your very lucky, most companies will not let you use an inkjet printer.

Reply by NJ notary on 1/25/04 5:54pm
Msg #761

I have also heard that some companies will not allow the use of an inkjet printer but never knew why - can you tell me the reason? Thanks

Reply by Anonymous on 1/26/04 1:01pm
Msg #767

paperwork gets wet, it's then useless...

Reply by aprils on 1/26/04 4:15pm
Msg #770

Okay? not sure what that has to do with getting a laser.

Reply by Tina_MA on 1/26/04 5:18pm
Msg #771

Lenders, title co's, and recording offices do not want docs printed with ink jet printers as the ink smears when wet and fades as it ages.

Reply by NJ notary on 1/26/04 6:25pm
Msg #772

Thank you so much for the information!

Reply by aprils on 1/26/04 9:44am
Msg #766

You really need to get a laser. Much easier and faster to print to a laser. Most companies will require that you have a laser with PCL 5 or 6. Some signing companies will balk if you tell them you have an inkjet. So much easier when an order comes in to not have to think about it and just connect to the link and boom 5-10 minutes your docs are done. No hand holding and making adjustments on the printer settings just click and print.

Reply by Esther, Ca on 1/28/04 1:55am
Msg #796

Any recommendations of what type of laser printer? Or what to stay away from?

Reply by John/CT on 1/28/04 3:33pm
Msg #802

A laser printer generally has its own RAM to load the docs into. A inkjet uses a spool manager in the computer and sends the info line by line to the printer. (very SLOW)!
If you cant load a 4mb file into your printer many times printing errors happen. Also the quality of the print is better with a laser

Reply by Esther, Ca on 1/28/04 2:03am
Msg #797

I stumbled into this site, I'm wondering if they are worth paying to list myself. I belong to The National Notary Association, is it worth belonging to associations that require a fee? Thanks!

Reply by User from 66.125.212.146 on 1/28/04 10:22am
Msg #799

Message Deleted

This message has been deleted by a forum moderator

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.