Notary Rotary
license issue date
Notary Discussion History

license issue date
Go Back to October, 2004 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 10/27/04 10:30am
Msg #10550

license issue date

Yesterday at a signing I was filling out the id verification form and I have a question... I always thought the issue date was right under the signature in small black letters (for Califonia), is this correct? The couple I saw last night had the same issue date (2 months ago) and they both expired next year. I just thought this was a little wierd. Please tell me if I am wrong! Thank you

Reply by Amberjt on 10/27/04 11:31am
Msg #10552

You are correct in the placement of the issue date. I also think that is weird that the Id's were issued two months ago (are you sure the year was 04?) and that they expire in one year, unless there is a shorter time period for elderly persons (if they were) but I don't think there is. I can understand how the Id's could be issued on the same date(if they went to the DMV together) but the one year expiration is not normal. You might want to see if you can ask that question at the California DMV website. Hope this helps some.

Reply by Jon on 10/27/04 11:59am
Msg #10556

When your license is lost or stolen and you get a replacement, the expiration date doesn't change. If the couple had lost their license and went down together to get the replacements, they would have the same issue date.

Reply by Al - Calif. on 10/27/04 1:40pm
Msg #10560

This brings another situation to mind. I did a signing a few months ago for a couple whose driver's license serial numbers were sequential. I thought that a bit odd - but the i.d.s appeared perfectly legitimate.
I think I should at least check with the DMV and see if this is possible.
Thanks for bringing this subject up.

Reply by CaliNotary on 10/28/04 12:36pm
Msg #10597

They probably moved to California from another state and went to the DMV together to get their CA licenses. I've seen sequential numbers a couple of times myself.

Reply by Al - Cali. on 10/29/04 3:13am
Msg #10621

Thanks - that makes perfect sense

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/27/04 2:18pm
Msg #10561

Were the borrowers citizens???

I have done a few where the licenses expired the following year from the issue date.
This is because their visas expired, and the license expiration date matched the visa expiration date.

Reply by Barbara / CA on 10/27/04 3:35pm
Msg #10566

It is possible that the drivers license you looked at might have been a replacement drivers license if they had lost their original drivers license. The expiration date will be based on when the original drivers license was issued.

Did you ask the borrower why it expired in a year from then?

Reply by Jan Kohake on 10/27/04 5:34pm
Msg #10571

How about a hole punched out

Had a signing where the borrower's (male) exp. date on his driver's license was punched out. His wife said, Oh, I think it is expired. He said, No, it isn't, the DMV did that to indicate he drives a motorcycle. Anyone hear of this one??? I noted it in my book. He indicated the year it would expire.

Reply by CA Notary on 10/27/04 5:52pm
Msg #10572

Re: How about a hole punched out

When I moved from PA to CA, the DMV in CA took my PA license and punched a hole through it, indicating it was no longer valid, and then handed it back to me. They told me it was so a person could not have multiple drivers licenses valid in more than one state.

Reply by margmtz on 10/27/04 5:52pm
Msg #10573

Thanks for all of your great insight!

I did ask the borrowers if they both got their license on the same date, only because I saw the same dates. They answered no.

I forgot to mention also that the license number were almost the same except tha last 2 number.... also odd??

The i.d.'s looked very authentic, He also pulled out an old expired license. They are both citizens. But are both expiring within a year... dont know, very odd to me.

Reply by CarolynCO on 10/27/04 6:23pm
Msg #10576

Colorado no longer issues renewal licenses on the spot -- instead they punch a hole in our license which we use until we get the new one in the mail. For classes, my license has an R, because I only drive a car. My husband has a CDL (commercial drivers license) which is stated on the license, and his Class is an A. His license also covers a motorcycle.

In checking my 2004 I.D. Checking Guide, it says that Caifornia licenses on the birth date. It doesn't say anything about punching out the date for a motorcycle.

Reply by CarolynCO on 10/27/04 6:25pm
Msg #10577

Re: Oops

**In checking my 2004 I.D. Checking Guide, it says that Caifornia licenses on the birth date. It doesn't say anything about punching out the date for a motorcycle"

dropped a word -- it should be California licenses EXPIRE on the birth date.

Reply by Jon on 10/27/04 8:08pm
Msg #10579

Ca has a "M1" or "M2" class to designate a motorcycle license. If the license has a hole punched through the exp date, I would not accept it. Looks like he pulled a fast one on you.

Reply by Jan Kohake on 10/28/04 10:57am
Msg #10587

He may have, but I did get a photocopy of each of the licenses to send back with the docs.. I know his issue date was within the five year period so the notarizations are still okay. I just need to call the DMV or go on their website and ask about this.

Reply by Julie-MI on 10/28/04 4:41pm
Msg #10610

I don't live in your state, but is is possible the guy's license was suspended? Over here, they punch it when they have a restricted license, usually dwi's and that punch over the expiration dates, invalidates the license.

Reply by Brenda J Khan on 10/29/04 10:36pm
Msg #10642

I would assume the license is invalid with a hole in it. Did you see any other valid form of ID, other than an expired older license? Did you fingerprint in your journal? BK-FL

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.