Notary Rotary
stamp vs. embosser
Notary Discussion History

stamp vs. embosser
Go Back to March, 2007 Index

Posted by FWP/WA on 3/14/07 6:17pm
Msg #179945

stamp vs. embosser

I'm a newbie (hey! stop throwing stuff at me!) Just kidding!

Seriously, I had a question regarding the notary stamp vs an embosser. I'm curious what types of documents you might need an embosser for. I have had my stamp for quite awhile (about a year and a half), and just ordered the embosser.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Reply by dickb/wi on 3/14/07 6:22pm
Msg #179947

i only use an embosser........had a stamp many years ago but didn't like it......some times it would only partially stamp and some times it would smear and some times i couldn't find the space for it, so in the trash it went.....i like my embosser and crimp where ever i want...........

Reply by FWP/WA on 3/14/07 6:44pm
Msg #179952

One of the concerns I had when I originally became a notary was that with an embosser, copies of the document wouldn't show the seal, so I got the stamp instead.

We use it for notarizing 'affidavit's of service' which are filed with the courts. (I'm also a process server).

I guess since I've already ordered it (and it's on its way, NotRot is great!), I'll have both, and be prepared.

Reply by Jill/NY on 3/14/07 6:59pm
Msg #179954

I use both the stamp and the embosser. I always use the embosser over my signature. I also stamp and doc that needs to be notarized, as long as there is a space to do it in.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 3/14/07 7:04pm
Msg #179955

In Florida we can only use the stamp as the official seal. We can use an embosser, but only in addition to the stamp, not on its own.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 3/14/07 7:10pm
Msg #179956

Same in OR. Embosser only in addition to stamp. n/m

Reply by ikesgal on 3/15/07 1:59pm
Msg #180082

I have used an embosser for 35 years and never had a problem but I do use and embosser stamp that stamps over the impression to make it readable

Reply by JanetLA on 3/14/07 7:27pm
Msg #179959

Louisiana

We don't have an official seal or embosser here. Our signature is what notarizes it. That being said, I always use a seal to print my name and commission number but use the embosser because people seem to think that is what notarizes it... Of course Louisiana is always the odd ball in notarial practice. Have a good evening

Reply by Julie/MI on 3/14/07 7:31pm
Msg #179960

International adoptions are the only paperwork that require an embosser.

My state does not require a stamp or an embosser and an embosser is not to be used alone as it will not reproduce.

What does your state say?

I would not bother with the embosser if it is not required by your state.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 3/14/07 7:43pm
Msg #179963

We're not required to have an embosser here (or a stamp, for that matter - you can just write the required info in black ink, but a stamp certainly makes life easier). I purchased an embosser after getting several calls from people saying they had to have the raised seal on a document being sent to a foreign country. One woman told me she had been trying for days to find a notary with an embossing seal - they all told her "we don't need that in NY". I figured it was one more thing I could add to whatever marketing I do for local mobile notary work.

Reply by Tannis Zamora on 3/14/07 7:57pm
Msg #179967

Tennessee changed from an embosser to a Stamp 4 years ago. I found I liked the stamp the more I used it.

tannis TN

Reply by FWP/WA on 3/14/07 11:51pm
Msg #179998

All Washington laws I can find seem to indicate stamp OR Seal. The following is from the FAQ's on the Department of Licensing website:

(9) The signature and seal or stamp of a notary public are prima facie evidence that the signature of the notary is genuine and that the person is a notary public.

Also: RCW 42.44.050 states: Every person appointed as a notary public in this state shall procure a seal or stamp, on which shall be engraved....

Reply by Art_MD on 3/15/07 5:26am
Msg #180008

Re: stamp vs. embosser - MD

I notarize quite a few "release of lien" form and Frederick County "requires" that a raised seal be used. I don't know if the county can legally override the state notary laws which say a stamp is acceptable. But, why waste the time debating the issue.

Art

Reply by WDMD on 3/16/07 4:07am
Msg #180161

Re: stamp vs. embosser - MD

Thats not that refinance form Frederick uses that is similar to the PG county affidavits is it Art?

Reply by Art_MD on 3/16/07 6:23am
Msg #180164

Release of lien - OT

No, its a form that is used in construction. Example: You get a new roof put on your house and the contracted sales price is $10,000. Your contract states that 10% of the price will be held until the contact is complete.
In most states, if not all, anyone who does work on property can file what is generally called a "workman's lien" if he is not paid. That lien is suborinate to existing mortages, but must be cleared before a property can be sold.

So, what is generally done is the last 10% of the contract price is held until a "final release of lien" is given by the contractor to you. In this case it would state (in somewhat leagaless) " for the total payment of $10,000 for work done at (address) under contract # (xxxx) all work performed has been paid for and no further money is due". This form can be filed with the county and is suppose to prevent the contractor from filing a lien. Also, some contractors will file a lien at the start of the job, then take if off once paid - thios is frowned upon by many in the industry since they often forget to release the lien. If a "final release of lien" is not filed, the lien may not show up until you try and sell the property and then you have to scramble to find the contractor and get the lien released.

Reply by WDMD on 3/16/07 8:46am
Msg #180173

Re: Release of lien - OT

oh a mechanics lien. Interesting. I used to be a contractor in Maryland and was told in Maryland you could not put a lien on property if not paid. Wish I would have known that back then, could have got paid maybe for a couple of jobs.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.