Notary Rotary
How much should I charge for 1 page notarization
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2009 Index

Posted by neenop on 3/29/09 3:59pm
Msg #282580

Just a quick question, I had a call on Sunday afternoon to do a notarization from a private party and all it involved was a 1 page notarization. How much should I charge?

Reply by Todd/OH on 3/29/09 4:00pm
Msg #282581

I wouldn't charge anything - kind of a courtesy thing. I get a request like this every few months.

Reply by LynnNC on 3/29/09 4:14pm
Msg #282584

What does your state allow?

In NC we can charge $5 for each signature notarized...I know other states can charge as much as $10.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/29/09 4:16pm
Msg #282585

For the notarizaton, you can only charge whatever you state allows you to charge, then travel fees if your state allows that too....

I went and looked in yourhandbook - is this for real? Are these your fees?

"Notaries public are entitled to the following fees: The sum of $1.50 and necessary postage for all services rendered in connection with the protest of any bill of exchange for acceptance, or of any bill of exchange, promissory note, check or other writing for payment and shall not charge any other fees therefor; for any oath, certificate and seal taken under subdivision (1) of Section 36-20-5, $.50; for giving copies from register, $.20 for each 100 words; for each certificate and seal to such copy, $.25; and for giving any other certificate and affixing seal of office, $.50."

$0.50 per certificate and seal? Jeez... hope this is really really old...Smile

Reply by John/CT on 3/29/09 4:24pm
Msg #282588

Charge for 1 page notarization

Linda. you said, "$0.50 per certificate and seal? Jeez... hope this is really really old" Nope, it is for real: fifty cents each.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/29/09 4:35pm
Msg #282590

wow... n/m

Reply by DonR_NYC on 3/29/09 7:56pm
Msg #282605

In New York

§136. Notarial fees.
A notary public shall be entitled to the following fees:
1. For administering an oath or affirmation, and certifying the same when required, except where another fee is specifically prescribed by statute, $2.
2. For taking and certifying the acknowledgment or proof of execution of a written instrument, by one person, $2, and by each additional person, $2, for swearing such witness thereto, $2.

A notary public shall not, directly or indirectly, demand or receive for the protest for the non-payment of any note, or for the non-acceptance or non-payment of any bill of exchange, check or draft and giving the requisite notices and certificates of such protest, including his notarial seal, if affixed thereto, any greater fee or reward than 75 cents for such protest, and 10 cents for each notice, not exceeding five, on any bill or note. Every notary public having a seal shall, except as otherwise provided, and when requested, affix his seal to such protest free of expense.

Reply by dickb/wi on 3/30/09 3:45pm
Msg #282702

that's all we get in wi...50 cents........ n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 3/29/09 6:26pm
Msg #282600

Wow. The fee is VA is up to $5 (set as maximum, of course). For general notary work, my minimum fee is $25 w/travel. It's up to me, so I readily adjust my fees for nursing home work, etc. Often when I get a call I will tell them up front that I am a mobile notary, and refer them elsewhere if they don't really require mobile service. I've taken the position that I am a Notary Public, and serve the public by letting them know where they can readily get notary services. It sounds like you need to get notaries to lobby your state for decent fees.

Reply by Jim/AL on 3/29/09 8:02pm
Msg #282606

Alabama fees, sad but true. $ .50 n/m

Reply by Lee/AR on 3/29/09 4:20pm
Msg #282586

Whatever is mandated by your state and also

travel fees, IF they are involved. If not, looks like you're stuck with 50 cents, like WI.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/29/09 4:22pm
Msg #282587

$0.50 - sure doesn't give you any incentive to make yourself

available, does it?

Reply by Tish/CA on 3/29/09 5:00pm
Msg #282592

Re: $0.50 - sure doesn't give you any incentive to make yourself

Wow, that's shocking. Here in CA it's $10/notarized signature and there's even talk about raising it to $25. Not bragging here just pointing out why it's so shocking.

Reply by LisaWI on 3/30/09 12:18pm
Msg #282660

Re: $0.50 - Same for Wisconsin

So when you tell people you will be charging a traveling fee of $xx.oo, they get kind of quiet. This is when I tell them if they dont need a travleing notary to come to them, they have other options and I direct them there.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 3/29/09 5:05pm
Msg #282593

In Illinois we can charge one whole dollar for a ...

notarization, and the Act makes no mention of travel fees.
That is why I suggest that callers go the Kinkos (Fedex Office ) , a UPS
Store or to a Currency Exchage when I get a call for a general notarization.
Only exception is , on Sunday , I will meet people ,Pro Bono at nearby Mickey Ds
if they need a permission for a minor to travel, etc, etc.

Reply by JanetLA on 3/29/09 5:25pm
Msg #282595

In LA we have no limits to our charges for notarization, but

rather we are allowed to charge a "reasonable fee".... for me never less than $10 and if I prepare something: never less than $20. To travel and notarize one document: no less than $50.

Reply by Maureen_nh on 3/29/09 10:18pm
Msg #282621

send them to their bank or AAA , don't waste you time on this

Reply by ConnieK on 3/29/09 11:03pm
Msg #282623

Your state allows a dollar amount per signature, my state is $5 per signature PLUS, your travel fee (by miles) unless they come to you! Some Notaries will not leave their home for less than $50! Your call!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.