Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
All these Arizonans think they actually felt an earthquake!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Shoshana/AZ on 4/4/10 7:51pm
Msg #330333

I survived Loma Prieta in '89 in the Bay Area. Now that was an earthquake!
I am sure that all you southern Californians have similar stories to tell about the Northridge quake.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/5/10 2:36am
Msg #330347

Heh... Northridge was on my 19th birthday. 4:30am and I got tossed out of bed. At first I thought it my dad or brothers playing a trick on me. And we lived about 65 miles north of the epicenter.

Interesting bit of trivia... the quake was actually misnamed by the media. The epicenter of that quake is in Reseda, not Northridge.

Earthquakes can be scary... especially the big ones. And, there sure have been a lot of big ones in the last few months, and if you look at the pattern of them... I wouldn't be surprised if California sees a 6.0+ one in the next few months.

I've grew up (and still live) within a few miles of the San Andreas. Earthquakes don't really scare me since I grew up with it and I know how they work... and preparedness has been drilled in to me since before I can remember. All the same, bigger ones are never fun to think about.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 4/5/10 6:53am
Msg #330351

I know the Northridge was felt way over by Blythe, CA which is on the border of CA and AZ. My Dad was parked in his airstream out in the desert. My uncle was parked next to him. My uncle says he awoke to my Dad hanging out his door shooting into the air. Dad thought kids were rocking the RV!

Reply by Grammyzoom on 4/5/10 8:31am
Msg #330355

None of my family felt a thing here in AZ yesterday. But having been born in Los Angeles 67 years ago, I have felt ALL of the major earthquakes in CA and each one was more terrifying than the last. We lived in Whittier during the Whittier quake. Anyone from CA knows the drill of grabbing kids and dragging them to under the doorways of the inner sactum of the homes.

I remember several times trying to get a hold of family members and being unable to use the phone for hours. We had our pool half emptied one time which left our yard flooded and the pool cracked.

How lucky Californians are though that the building codes are so strict and the horrifying things that have happened in other countries this year have not happened in CA.

I am glad to be living in Arizona now but am hoping that parts of California do not fall into the Ocean as they have been predicting since I was a little kid. I figure that prediction will be around long after I am dead and gone.

The big worry for most of us right now is..............will the phone ring this week??

Reply by Charles_Ca on 4/5/10 12:18pm
Msg #330381

Actually 7.2 is a pretty respectable quake! n/m

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 4/5/10 1:16pm
Msg #330397

Re: Actually 7.2 is a pretty respectable quake!

Yes, but by the time it got up to the Phx Metro Area there wasn't much left. People here think that water sloshing out of their pool is a big thing. The last quake they felt here was about 30 years ago.
It's not like you're in CA and living near the fault.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 4/5/10 2:31pm
Msg #330410

Gotcha, but by that measure it was a piece of cake here. n/m

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/6/10 1:24am
Msg #330480

Re: Actually 7.2 is a pretty respectable quake!

I was in Tucson this weekend and we didn't feel a thing there. (Guess I picked a good time to get out of So Cal! Wink

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.