Notary Rotary
Anti Spyware program may have cauesed computer crashes
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Moneyman/TX on 4/3/10 5:42pm
Msg #330240

In the last three weeks my computer has crashed 3 times. I have had to perform a “clean install” every time. I think I have it back now but I am trying to figure out what may have caused it.

I also have a laptop that went down in December (had to toss it out). I mention the laptop because after looking at what happened to both of them to see if I could find a link I noticed that on both of them I had recently visited SS sites that I had not been to in a while and that I had downloaded the antimalware program Malwarebytes. After running the Malwarebytes program is when both computers began to crash. I don’t know if it was the actual anti-virus program (from download.com each time) or if I might have picked up a virus from a SS site that may be unknown to them as well. I know some viruses are set to explode if a (any or specific ones) antispyware programs run.

After one of my re-installs, I downloaded another antispyware program that found a virus (wouldn’t remove it just detect it). That program instructed me to download Malwarebytes to remove it. I did so, and not only did it not detect the virus but my computer crashed for the third time. – I know, I know, I am a slow learning when I have lost years of files. I no longer have the program on my computer.

I have heard that others have had good luck with the Malwarebytes program. If so, did you download it from download.com or the manufacture site (malwarebytes.org) I’m still trying to narrow down possible issues and thought it may have been the downloaded program file on download.com’s site.

Also, has anyone else had computer crashes recently after visiting SS sites and do NOT have this particular program (Malwarebytes)?

Thanks for any comments. Happy Easter to all.

Reply by desktopfull on 4/3/10 6:04pm
Msg #330244

Mine crashed too when I installed Malwarebytes, got rid of it went back to McAfee so far no problems.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 4/3/10 6:32pm
Msg #330248

DTF where did you download it from?

Just trying to see if it might be the program itself or if the download site might be a connection.

Thanks

Reply by desktopfull on 4/3/10 8:24pm
Msg #330264

Re: DTF where did you download it from?

What crashed my computer was that when I ran the program it identified some of my exe.bat commands for windows as spyware and deleted them. I used my restore disc to fix windows and then dumped the spyware program. Unfortunately, all of the spyware programs I've tried have done the same thing and I just don't use them anymore. I used the Windows Defender program and that seems to work okay for me now.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 4/4/10 3:48am
Msg #330281

Re: DTF where did you download it from?

Same here (the files I deleted). I'm not sure if it was the program itself or a virus that had the program pick them as "bad".

I tried the Windows Defender program once before and had a similar experience. I was able to keep the computer from crashing after that one, but it took enough effort for me to never want to use it again. Same for McAfee.

I now use System Mechanics Pro (paid version)and a new program that seems to work well is CureIt (free version). I seem to remember a long time ago a report about spyware and viruses warned against using the more popular programs. In the report an expert stated that people that start viruses want to get it out to as many computers as possible so they build them to bypass programs like Norton and McAfee because more people have them than the lesser known programs. Don't know if that is 100% true, but it does make sense to me.

I'm thinking that I picked up something that used the spyware programs against my computer more than the programs themselves. I am also a lot more careful about what I download from CNet.com (i.e. download.com).

Thanks for the input.

Reply by jba/fl on 4/3/10 6:48pm
Msg #330252

Malwarebytes is not a replacement for McAfee, it is an enhancement if you will. You are talking apples and oranges here.

Reply by jba/fl on 4/3/10 6:46pm
Msg #330251

I went to their site, but got redirected for free version to CNET download.com.

For those who have the free version, there is new update as of 3-29-10. (Free version has to ask for updates)

I continue to have no problems with this program. Wish I could say the same for McAfee, which did not catch my particular problem. McAfee expires in 2 days and I will be done with it. Like Norton, it is getting too big and causing problems due to size and general invasiveness of the program. JMO, though I am not alone on this.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/3/10 7:00pm
Msg #330255

I also downloaded it from CNet.com, and have never had any problems with it.

I use AVG for my antivirus program, but I run Malwarebytes occasionally,

Reply by dickb/wi on 4/4/10 3:37pm
Msg #330310

double dittos along with zone alarm...... n/m

Reply by Laura_V on 4/3/10 7:47pm
Msg #330259

Chinese hack in Nov. Russian hack 5 weeks ago.

NOT kidding.

I hate hate hate hate hate tech cr@p.

Have I been vague? Should I make my feeling more explicit?

Sorry but this is a G rated forum and I cannot without being banned for life or whatever. U get my notary drift.

Hack so super bad I got back only 1 of my stick built websites back. One I got back: the $1.5K one. One I lost cost me $3K. NO kidding. $3K was charity project I have been working on for 5+ years.

Google some/all of these words to learn what has been going on - if you wish, of course:

Tienamen Square (PLS correct my spelling, ppl)

gmail

[e-mail address]

hotmail

FTP

PayPal

Bank account

CNN.com

Sorry, but I have zero time explaining any of above cuz I was super hacked.

Launched new biz at 11am today. VERY VERY tired. So pls google and let me sleep and sleep and
snore......

Reply by John Schenk on 1/10/11 12:33pm
Msg #367829

AV8 / Antivirus 8 may be what you downloaded.

Just had the same thing happen to me. It is a vicious virus. Popped up "AV8 needs updating." I just installed Avast Pro on my computer the day before, and a BRAND NEW computer at that. Downloaded it and totally wiped out the new computer. I replaced that one Friday.

You will find a site that gives you directions for a manual uninstall. I wasn't able to locate any of those files. Totally wiped me out. Be careful out there!

JJ

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.