Notary Rotary
Anyone remember the lawsuit against FedEx and the notary
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Stoli on 4/25/10 5:52pm
Msg #333450

that caused Federal Express to discontinue notary services? I searched and can't find anything. Please PM me.

Reply by Lita on 4/25/10 5:53pm
Msg #333451

I think I saw it recently referenced under Kinkos, did you search there?

Reply by Stoli on 4/25/10 5:54pm
Msg #333453

No, I'll try that. Thanks. n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 4/25/10 6:43pm
Msg #333471

Re: No, I'll try that. Thanks.

http://tinyurl.com/2c3qctc

Reply by Stoli on 4/25/10 6:00pm
Msg #333456

Dang, you're good. It's under Kinko's. Thanks. n/m

Reply by Cari on 4/25/10 6:04pm
Msg #333458

here's a summary...I have it as a pdf if you want it...pm me

In Vancura v. Katris, a recent decision by the Illinois Appellate Court that might have national implications for notary employers, Kinkos was held directly liable for damages resulting from its notary employee’s notarization of a forged signature on a mortgage assignment. A case of first impression, the key issue in Vancura was whether Kinkos was directly liable for failing to prevent the notary employees misconduct under a common law theory of negligence. The Court recognized the notarization of a forged signature caused by an incompetent and unsupervised notary as a foreseeable harm that a notary employer has a duty to prevent.

Reply by Cari on 4/25/10 6:06pm
Msg #333460

formal case info....

Richard P.Vancura v. Peter Katris, Gustavo Albear, Glenn S. Brown, Randall Boatwright, Old Kent Bank, as Trustee Under Trust Agreement 6927, and Kinkos, Inc. 1-06-2750, LEXIS 1317 (Ill.App.12-26-2008).

Reply by LKT/CA on 4/25/10 6:23pm
Msg #333464

On Friday, I had a lady call me who needed photocopies notarized. She had the original and photocopies of her Russian diploma and Russian transcipts, plus photocopies of their English translations. She went to FedEx Office and was told they only notarize signatures on simple stuff, like letters. They wouldn't touch it - they probably didn't know what to do with the photocopies.

I guess this particular FedEx Office didn't get the memo that said they can no longer notarize signatures.

Reply by Cari on 4/25/10 6:25pm
Msg #333465

"didn't get the memo" hilarious! n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 4/25/10 6:49pm
Msg #333474

At a package drop off on Saturday I asked the FedEx employee if they were still notarizing. Yes, he replied, until June 1. Said it was being phased out across the country, bit by bit.

Hmmm....guess there was no standardized memo.

Reply by Stoli on 4/25/10 7:30pm
Msg #333482

I don't remember where I read the "whole story", but

it included the training, credentials of the trainer and instruction to keep the notary stamp in the immediate supervisor's desk drawer. The article also told what the fine was to the notary public, who, by the way, was not still in the employ of Federal Express.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/25/10 7:47pm
Msg #333484

It all started about a year ago...

FedEx/Kinkos stopped offering notary services in about half their stores last June.

If you go to their site now:

http://fedex.com/us/office/services/notary.html

"Notary Services not available in the following states: AL, AZ, DC, GA, ID, IL, IN, KY, LA, MA, MD, MN, MO, NJ, NY, OH, RI, SC, TN, VA, VT, WI, WV, WY."

So, since last June... it's been available still in California. I'm not sure if that's changing, but I wouldn't be surprised. I know that a lot of shops (especially in CA) no longer offer notary service, and my general notary calls are way, way up.

From a post I made on this about a year ago:

I hate to link to the NNA... but they do offer a pretty decent overview of what happened:

http://www.nationalnotary.org/IL/LawChanges/vancuraFaq.cfm

Here's a more detailed account:

http://www.morelaw.com/verdicts/case.asp?n=1-06-2750&s=IL&d=38479

Reply by LKT/CA on 4/25/10 7:53pm
Msg #333485

OT: From So. Calif to No. Calif by way of MEMPHIS????

I just checked on the loan package I sent off Saturday morning due to arrive in San Francisco on Monday.....what's it doing in Memphis, Tennessee? LOL !!

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/25/10 8:03pm
Msg #333487

Somebody once told me that all FedEx pacakges go through

Memphis, even if you are just sending it next door overnight. I don't know how true that is, but that's just what I've been told.

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/25/10 8:47pm
Msg #333490

Yep, lots of them sure do...whether it makes sense or

not, many FedEx packages go by way of Memphis.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/25/10 8:04pm
Msg #333488

Re: OT: From So. Calif to No. Calif by way of MEMPHIS????

I think that Memphis is the main hub for Fedex.

When I have sent Fedex packages from here to go to another city in Florida, they still go through the Memphis hub.

Reply by Lee/AR on 4/25/10 9:49pm
Msg #333493

I think FedEx ought to run the country for a while. Can't do

worse.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/26/10 9:44am
Msg #333528

Re: OT: From So. Calif to No. Calif by way of MEMPHIS????

I spoke with the route manager about this and was told (at the shipping center in Emeryville - NoCAL) aLL FedEx packages shipped within Cal are trucked not flown.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 4/25/10 11:46pm
Msg #333509

Anybody know?

I've heard about this case, of course, but still can't figure out what's going on. Does anybody know exactly what happened? It's all too bizarre - the notary was no longer employed by Kinko's at the time of the suit, the notary's spiral (!!) "log book" was "lost," Ill. notarial law was so flimsy that the courts had to "flesh out" things by referring to the Model Notary Act, which is strictly an NNA thing as far as I can figure out and largely spurned by state legislatures who have no idea/don't care what's going on with notaries, etc. Anyway, it looks like someone came into Kinkos, showed the notary an ID card - one without a photo - that person signed, forging someone else's signature. That someone else sued, but does anybody know what losses that person suffered as a result? What kind of training/oversight was Kinko's supposed to enforce besides encouraging their notaries not to acknowledge forged signatures? Did the notary actually know that it was forged? Did he think he had actually properly ID'd the person under Ill. law? Did he even have his own seal - even that's not clear. Sounds like there was a company seal kept in some drawer ...?

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 4/25/10 11:46pm
Msg #333510

Anybody know?

I've heard about this case, of course, but still can't figure out what's going on. Does anybody know exactly what happened? It's all too bizarre - the notary was no longer employed by Kinko's at the time of the suit, the notary's spiral (!!) "log book" was "lost," Ill. notarial law was so flimsy that the courts had to "flesh out" things by referring to the Model Notary Act, which is strictly an NNA thing as far as I can figure out and largely spurned by state legislatures who have no idea/don't care what's going on with notaries, etc. Anyway, it looks like someone came into Kinkos, showed the notary an ID card - one without a photo - that person signed, forging someone else's signature. That someone else sued, but does anybody know what losses that person suffered as a result? What kind of training/oversight was Kinko's supposed to enforce besides encouraging their notaries not to acknowledge forged signatures? Did the notary actually know that it was forged? Did he think he had actually properly ID'd the person under Ill. law? Did he even have his own seal - even that's not clear. Sounds like there was a company seal kept in some drawer ...?

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/26/10 8:09am
Msg #333521

Re: Anybody know?

From what I gathered, it appeared that Kinko's was "training" it's notaries by giving them a one page worksheet, created by a man who had never been a notary, and watching a few NNA videos. If I remember correctly, the notary had made a habit out of ID'ing people by simply having them swear that they were the person named in the document. He had his own seal but kept it in a manager's desk drawer unsupervised.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.