Notary Rotary
Borrowers totally screwed up my night
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Linda Juenger on 4/17/10 9:03am
Msg #332107

Wanted so badly to see my grandson in a little program last night at his school. Had a closing scheduled and had plenty of time to do both. Get to borrowers and while opening the door to let me in their dog got out. I stood on the porch and watched them chase it for a few minutes. Well that few minutes turned into 10 then 20 then 30 then an hour. I totally understand them wanting to catch it, but geez. Hind sight tells me I should have left immediately and returned when I could. We finally got it done and I missed a part of the program. But, an hour of my time is gone and won't be compensated for either. Its really no one's fault, or is it? I feel I can't ask for more money for this as TC had nothing to do with it. The borrowers surely are aware that their dog runs every chance he gets and should have been more cautious. What would the plumber or electrician do in this case? I bet they would charge another hours time. Thoughts on what you would have done. Walk and come back or stay and wait like I did. Not much of a choice is there?

Reply by 101livescan on 4/17/10 9:08am
Msg #332108

Yep, here's my cell, call me when you are ready to sign. I have one other commitment I can't be late for. I will return as soon as possible.

They didn't have to know it was your grandson's event. Aren't people too much, like they are the only ones on your radar screen.

I did a jumbo loan refi. The borrowers live in a $2M home, refi. The borrower (MR.) spent an hour looking for $50, and at one point I did say, I will return on Monday (it was Friday), I have a full night and I'm running out of time. The docs were 3 inches high.

The next day he called to tell me he found it! Well, bully for your Mr. B. You completely screwed up my afternoon for the rest of my signings.

Reply by 101livescan on 4/17/10 9:08am
Msg #332109

Yep, here's my cell, call me when you are ready to sign. I have one other commitment I can't be late for. I will return as soon as possible.

They didn't have to know it was your grandson's event. Aren't people too much, like they are the only ones on your radar screen.

I did a jumbo loan refi. The borrowers live in a $2M home, refi. The borrower (MR.) spent an hour looking for $50, and at one point I did say, I will return on Monday (it was Friday), I have a full night and I'm running out of time. The docs were 3 inches high.

The next day he called to tell me he found it! Well, bully for your Mr. B. You completely screwed up my afternoon for the rest of my signings.

Reply by Grammyzoom on 4/17/10 9:29am
Msg #332111

What would you have done in the days when we had appointments scheduled back to back? This could have been the same situation. (Of course your grandson's event was far more important!)

I think you probably could have told them that you are so sorry that they are having to spend their time catching their dog and you realize how important that is, far more important than signing the papers at that moment. However, you do have another appointment following theirs and that these people must leave by xxx time so let them know they can catch their dog and you will call as soon as you are finished with the next appointment.

You might then mention that you will call them when you arrive back at their house so they can have time to put the dog away so "hot rod" doesn't run again.

I have been in similar situations and apologize for being rude but do not have the time to spare while they, look for their dog, talk with their best friend back in their hometown (yep that happened), spend time on the phone with their lawyer going over the paperwork or "I'm sorry but my wife went to the grocery store and should be back in about 45 minutes". When people are that inconsiderate of your time it is time to take back your time.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 4/17/10 9:37am
Msg #332114

Carol, you are so right.

I remember a bunch of years ago I had a signing in Pleasanton (CA). It was for 5 PM. The borrower spent 1 hour on the phone with his LO. Then he sat down and said he was ready to sign. I politely told him that I had a signing in Livermore and then another one in San Ramon. He was leaving on a fishing trip the next morning. By 11 PM I was back at his house and we signed. The other 2 signings had surprise seconds. (Docs were shipped to the borrowers.)
Sigh. Those were the days.....

Reply by CopperheadVA on 4/17/10 9:33am
Msg #332113

Oh wow, that's just crazy. That's one of those situations where I can totally see why you waited around, because it wouldn't seem like it would take that long to catch the dog. I'm sure the whole time you were thinking that they must be coming back at any moment. And of course you had no way to know that it was going to take an hour for them to catch the dog.

It always floors me when I arrive and the dog(s) go crazy and the borrowers make me wait outside while they corral the dog(s) and put them in the back yard or in their crate. They knew I was coming at that time, so why not have the dog(s) taken care of five minutes earlier???

Sorry that happened to you!

Reply by Grammyzoom on 4/17/10 9:49am
Msg #332118

Sometimes when I call to confirm people will mention that they have dogs and if we are ok with them. Then I will ask if they would like for me to call when we get to their home so they can put the animals away, if they choose to. I will then call so that by the time we get to the door the dogs are gone. I love all animals but they are a distraction because they always think WE ARE THERE TO SEE THEM!

Linda, you really had no choice last night....it is always hindsight that is clear sight! Perhaps you can get your grandson to put on a little show just for you! My grandkids are teenagers now and I miss all of the school programs that we used to attend.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 4/17/10 9:59am
Msg #332122

That's a good idea. I don't mind dogs or cats (I own one dog and four cats) - it's the dogs that can't control themselves and jump all over you (or dart outside) that need to be put away ahead of time. Most people are pretty good about it and it's usually not an issue - just sometimes, like Linda experienced, you get those people who are just so clueless and inconsiderate!

Reply by 101livescan on 4/17/10 9:54am
Msg #332119

I'm learning more and more to call 30 minutes before the appt, make sure everyone will be at home on time, they've made copies of their DL if necessary, and any other documents I'm to retrieve, that they know I'm booked solid for the evening and I won't be taking up much of their time as I need to be at my next destination on time, yada yada yada.

GET IT BORROWERS! People have this idea that they are the only borrowers on the planet and you have nothing else going on ....

Reply by 101livescan on 4/17/10 9:54am
Msg #332120

I'm learning more and more to call 30 minutes before the appt, make sure everyone will be at home on time, they've made copies of their DL if necessary, and any other documents I'm to retrieve, that they know I'm booked solid for the evening and I won't be taking up much of their time as I need to be at my next destination on time, yada yada yada.

GET IT BORROWERS! People have this idea that they are the only borrowers on the planet and you have nothing else going on ....

Reply by cawest/PA on 4/17/10 9:47am
Msg #332116

so sorry you missed a part of your grandson program and hope you enjoyed the part you saw!

But what if you had another closing? To nice of you to stand there waiting and not loosing your cool while you were probably boiling inside!

Reply by cawest/PA on 4/17/10 9:47am
Msg #332117

so sorry you missed a part of your grandson program and hope you enjoyed the part you saw!

But what if you had another closing? To nice of you to stand there waiting and not loosing your cool while you were probably boiling inside!

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/17/10 10:20am
Msg #332124

What would I have done? Called the SS/TC explained what was happening and asked what they wanted me to do ? If they said wait, there would be an additional fee negotiated. I always call ten minutes before I arrive if I can so they can be ready to sign (clean table, put dog outside, etc.) The only time I ever left was when the parents wouldn't stop their kid from bouncing leggos off my head from the stairs behind me.

Reply by Grammyzoom on 4/17/10 10:29am
Msg #332126

What would you do if you had signings behind this one? n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/17/10 10:48am
Msg #332131

Re: What would you do if you had signings behind this one?

Called the borrowers, asked if they would object to my being a little late. If they said they objected, I would tell them to expect me on time as agreed and tell the SS (for dog chasers) they would have to get another notary to wait in my place. It has been my experience if you notify borrowers of any problems that pop up, they are willing to wait a little long. People don't usually schedule anything after a signing if it's in the evening.

Reply by Grammyzoom on 4/17/10 11:02am
Msg #332135

In this case which does happen occassionally...

you are already at the borrowers home. They are now spending time they have committed to spend with you, fussing around for one reason or another and you are unable to do a thing about it but sit and wait it out or leave and come back.

It has nothing to do with your fee, it has everything to do with your time. I am only saying that instead of staying there, let them know that you need to get to another appointment and you will call when you have completed your assignment and will return. You can, by all means call the client and let them know what has happened if you feel it is necessary.

Linda did not have another signing but she had an appointment far more important than a signing and because of their inconsideration of her time she missed a portion of that very valueable time watching her grandson in an event.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/17/10 11:27am
Msg #332143

Re: In this case which does happen occassionally...

You are correct in Linda's case.....I never schedule back to back signings. In fact, I only like to do two a day, so I guess my situation is a little different. I did answer your question though.

I've NEVER missed in event involving my family, got two more grandkids graduating from college this year one day apart, one east coast, one west coast!

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/17/10 10:28am
Msg #332125

They knew you were coming, they would have known of their dog's propensity to get out, so they should have made sure the dog was "corralled" when you arrived.

I have two Yorkies, when someone is coming I make sure they are in another room while the door to the outside is opened so they can't get out - or I'll put them in the back yard which is fenced all around. I would never open the door until the babes are safe and can't get out.

I would have told them to call you on your cell when they were ready to sign.
That precious time with your grandson is time you cannot recapture.

Reply by Grammyzoom on 4/17/10 10:30am
Msg #332127

We see eye to eye Sylvia........ n/m

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/17/10 10:43am
Msg #332129

Re: We see eye to eye Sylvia........

Are you that "petite" Carol - I am only 4'11" - you may have to stoop down to see "eye to eye" with me LOL

Reply by pat/WA on 4/17/10 10:48am
Msg #332130

same thing....

Had the same thing hapen to me. Borrowers wife was 45 minutes last. She was having her hair done.
I was late to a party that I was looking forward to.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 4/17/10 11:18am
Msg #332138

Thanks for all the comments. Looking back, at the 1/2 hr

point I should have called TC and explain what is happening and for them to work it out however they choose to and tell them after my grandson's program that I would call them and proceed from there. If they hadn't found anyone I would have gone back.

I missed the beginning of the program but got to see pretty much of it. I didn't get to sit with my family and had to stand in the back, but I was there and he knew it. Dang, these little Kindgergartners sure are cute. They sang so good. I love watching their little hands and feet. They can't stand still and stop touching each other. Cute cute.

Its done and over with. Not worth stressing over, but it sure is frustrating sometimes. The best laid plans sometimes go astray. Tell me again, WHY do I continute to do this? Have to wonder sometimes.

Reply by Tish/CA on 4/17/10 12:10pm
Msg #332153

Rude, Rude, Rude

I just don't understand people sometimes. At least an electrician or plumber can go about their business. Not the case with us. I was at a purchase closing yesterday that took over two hours. The realtor was on the phone with the lender the entire time hashing out the HUD. I can't imagine being so inconsiderate. Glad you saw some of the performance but I can only imagine how stressed and ticked off you were by the time you arrived.

***WHY do I continute to do this?***

Probably for the same reason most of us are in this business. We usually have control and flexibility over our schedules and meet some wonderful people along the way. It's the 5 percenters that drive me batty.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 4/17/10 12:27pm
Msg #332157

Re: Rude, Rude, Rude

We usually have control and flexibility over our schedules and meet some wonderful people along the way.

"It's the 5 percenters that drive me batty."

Amen.

Reply by trnsa_IL on 4/17/10 1:43pm
Msg #332160

Linda, I know exactly how you feel!

A couple of months ago I had a closing that was scheduled for 10 am, but the lender did not have the docs finished. TC notified me at 9:30 am that it would need to be rescheduled for that afternoon at 3pm. I called the borrower and relayed the information, and he was very upset stating he wasn't available to sign anytime after 11 am as he had appointments and work the rest of the day. I called the TC back again relaying information from the borrower. I was told the LO would handle the time with the borrower and to leave it on the schedule for 3 pm.

Again the docs were late and I informed the TC that I had other appointments that started at 5:30pm and could not close this loan any later than 4:30pm (5:30 appointment was only 10 minutes from this one). I finally received docs, called borrowers to let them know I was printing and on my way, and hurried to this appointment arriving at 4:35 pm.

Husband was home but no sign of the wife; "She'll be home in a few minutes". He excused himself and didn't return for 15 minutes, and I began to wonder what was going on. I could hear him coughing almost continuously. Finally when he returned I suggested we start signing and catch her up when she arrives. She walked in at 5:10 pm with their 1 year old daughter; they had gone swimming. I introduced myself and let her know I would like catch her up, expecting her to sit down to sign. She announces that she is going to cook dinner, and that I can finish up with her husband and then start all over and explain it all to her. I explained politely that I had another closing at 5:30 pm. Her reply, "Tough Luck!" which included a nasty glare! I was so shocked at her reply and complete disregard for my time or job that my blood pressure shot through the roof. I gave her husband raised eyebrows, but I didn't say a word.

I was fuming while trying to remain professional! I determined that as soon as I was finished with the husband I would announce as I packed my briefcase that I would return after I had completed my other appointments and she had cooked and eaten.

As soon as I handed the husband the final paper and he was signing, he demanded that she sit down and sign. I didn't explain a thing, in 10 minutes flat I was out of there. It was so hard to be polite to her when I left.

People often take out their frustration with their LO on us, but this women has been the only one to infuriate me. I guess it was the turned around head over the shoulder glare that said "I don't care what you have to do, I am going to make you wait. You're on my time now!" and the way she said "Tough Luck" that got to me.

I have asked myself the same question you did and agree I continue to do this because of the flexibility and the people. We can't let the occasional bad apple spoil the bushel.

I am glad you were able to see the majority of the performance with your grandson. Family is very important.

Have a great weekend!
Tonya

Reply by trnsa_IL on 4/17/10 1:46pm
Msg #332161

By the way, forgot to mention the husband had pneumonia! n/m

Reply by CopperheadVA on 4/17/10 2:06pm
Msg #332169

So many people think that WE work for the lender or the TC. Sounds like the wife was possibly "getting back" at you for the late docs, thinking you worked for lender.

Reply by trnsa_IL on 4/17/10 2:14pm
Msg #332172

Yep, that is exactly what she was doing. n/m

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/17/10 1:49pm
Msg #332164

Re: same thing....

"She was having her hair done"

Well, at least it was something importantWink LOL

Reply by LKT/CA on 4/17/10 1:54pm
Msg #332165

I always schedule every daily activity as an appointment, whether personal or business. This way, both personal and business events won't overrun each other and I can keep my life in balance. I would have scheduled the grandson's program as an appointment and if the borrowers were not ready to go by a certain time, I would have informed the borrowers that I must leave for my next appointment. Then I would have called the hiring party and told them the borrowers were not ready and I must leave for my next appointment. I would ask them if they'd like to re-assign the appointment to another notary or reschedule for a later time that evening.

It is no one's business what my next "appointment" is. If my next appointment was simply going home, sitting in a chair and watching dust bunnies form, that's my business. I never ever tell anyone what I have to do next - other than saying, I have another "appointment". The point is, no one controls my schedule, but ME......Yes, I need the money like everyone else, but not to the detriment of missing out on family events, especially those that are once in a lifetime and can't be recaptured.

Either the signing takes place during its allotted time or I leave. Now if I have no other appointments, and I'm in a good mood, I may decide to wait around but if I have other things planned - then no....other plans will not suffer when clients can't get their act together.

I would have walked. Yes, you do have a choice. You are only obligated to arrive on time, per the scheduled time and conduct the signing. You are not paid by the hour and are under no obligation to wait around while the borrower's chase after the dog they should have previously tied up. You simply call the hiring party and let them know you arrived on time, the borrowers are not ready and you must leave for your next appointment, period.

That is all anyone needs to know - you have another "appointment" [period].

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/17/10 1:58pm
Msg #332166

Re: watching dust bunnies

Great line...Ooh oh, twelve O Clock appt now! Golf

Reply by LKT/CA on 4/17/10 2:01pm
Msg #332167

Re: watching dust bunnies

Yep.....golfing, that's an appointment and a most important one !!!

Reply by trnsa_IL on 4/17/10 2:07pm
Msg #332170

I completely agree, and I do the same thing as you. I schedule everything as an appointment. I even had a guy from an SS ask me once - when I called to let them know that since their docs were over an hour late I could no longer accommodate their closing and I had another appointment- what that appointment was; are you going out to eat with your husband? Well, since I didn't like his tone, I told him it was not his concern what the appointment was, and I was no longer available. He didn't use my services again for a long time. The appointment was actually a banquet I was attending as the guest of honor/speaker and being late was out of the question.

Tonya

Reply by cadmonkey/CA on 4/17/10 2:55pm
Msg #332178

I had a purchase signing at the bank yesterday and the borrower was almost 30 minutes late and so I informed the RE agent and LO that I had 3 more appointments to go. When the borrower arrived, he understood he was really late so he signed the whole 120 page package in 7 minutes flat. That was great as had plenty of time to make the rest of my appointments. Luckily he was a RE investor and not a 1st time home buyer, uggghhh, they take the longest!

Reply by mwm143 on 4/17/10 2:56pm
Msg #332180

That's just the nature of the business.

You had the choice to stay or go. Sure, if you knew that it would take an hour you would have chosen to leave and return later. But it could have just as easily taken 3 minutes to catch that dog. We have all been faced with similar situations and all you can do is make the best decision at the time.

Reply by Cari on 4/18/10 8:57pm
Msg #332287

I'd a pull out a dog treat from my purse....jk.... n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.