Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
CA Notaries: The SOS has added a notice about processing...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Marian_in_CA on 4/9/10 1:38am
Msg #330893

http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/pdf/processing-times.pdf

It's something we already all know... that budget cuts have made processing and wait times for commissions (new and renewals) extremely long.

The notice above is more generic and applies to all of the activities of the SOS's office, but it applies to Notaries, too.

Start the renewal process for your commission WAY, WAY early! I know some notaries who have commissions expiring a year or more from now enrolling in their renewal classes or signing up for the exams. Don't forget that testing dates and locations have been reduced, too... so if go through CPS directly for your exam, register early!!

Make sure you take your exam at least 6 months before your commission expires, maybe even 9-12 months, really. Your exam results are good for a year, take advantage of that! Also, the proof of completion certificate for your renewal class is good for TWO years, so don't be afraid to enroll early, especially if you take the course online or through self-study. Just don't take the exam until you're less than a year out. However, considering the wait for the exam... which could be 2-3 months or so, registering for that early is a good idea, too. Also, fingerprints are good for one year from the date you take the exam.

Reply by LKT/CA on 4/9/10 11:13am
Msg #330956

Thanks, Marian... I planned to renew 6 months beforehand but will plan to renew earlier.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 4/9/10 1:37pm
Msg #330999

The vast majority of CA renewing notaries

in my classes will have a lapse in his/her commission. It now taking 4 months to get a CA commission.
As stated above; take your test 6 months before expiration.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.