Notary Rotary
Curious about client profile/structure of business
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by TraceyFD/VA on 4/7/10 1:42am
Msg #330582

I'm in the process of completely restructuring my business... leased a real office, expanded my list of services, and am now changing my number and types of clients. Part of this is so that I can finally move my business in the direction in which I originally intended to move it 7 years ago. But also it is to correct several mistakes I made when I first opened my door. (The main mistake was pretty much working with only one company. Loved the company, but when you only have one main client, you're fortune is tied to that company's fortune. Plus, if the company's policies change to something you find unacceptable, you're in a position of either dealing with it or losing 90% of your business without notice.)

Any whoo, I'm curious as to what other people have found successful. There has to be a balance between having a large number of clients, which means greater flexibility and more security, and having clients that provide large number of closings per month, which means less administrative time and less complication. What have people found successful? For example, do you have a few clients that each provide a farily decent number of closings per month and then numerous clients that provide one or two a month?

Also, what types of companies do people find are the easiest to deal with and pay the best? Do you like working best with signing services companies, title companies, mortgage companies, or something else altogether?

Finally, for those of you that are doing this fulltime, approximately how many closings do you perform each month and how many hours do you invest in your business monthly? I'd also love to know what people charge, but I understand if people don't want to share that info. (For example, people call companies that pay $40-75 low ballers, but what do they consider acceptable?)

Thanks in advance for any input. I'm at a crossroads right now. I do enjoy doing closings. I'd like to continue having at least some portion of my practice consist of closings. But if I don't find a way of making closings more cost effective, I'll be forced to give them up completely.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.