Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Data in used copiers - talk about breach of privacy!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by JanetK_CA on 4/24/10 5:27pm
Msg #333324

Here's a very interesting report from CBS news about data left behind when a used digital copier is sold. Very disturbing, potentially. I wonder how many out-of-business companies in real estate related industries sold off their equipment without giving it a thought...

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6412572n&tag=related;photovideo

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/24/10 5:38pm
Msg #333327

Didn't watch the clip...but how about failed banks too?? n/m

Reply by OR on 4/24/10 6:04pm
Msg #333331

Re:I watch the clip ...OHHHHH NOOOOO

That is scary.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 4/24/10 6:20pm
Msg #333333

Unbelievable breach of privacy! From the report, the only ones that used these types of copiers & seemed to be concerned were the insurance company and Sharp.

Unfortunately, in an effort to let the public know they have now given ID thieves information on a cash-cow just waiting to be picked clean with the copiers now out there. Sharps digital "eraser" software should be an industry requirement for all businesses that handle sensitive data IMO.

Reply by jba/fl on 4/24/10 6:54pm
Msg #333339

Why did it even have a hard drive for storage of it's actions? If people didn't know it was there, or the issue wasn't addressed, what was the purpose?

Or, is this just another case of being too smart for our own good?

Yes - giving instructions to the rest of the world as the copiers are being shipped to Argentina and Singapore - well, the networks are just famous for that aren't they.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 4/24/10 7:06pm
Msg #333341

"being too smart for our own good"..Think you are correct n/m

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/24/10 7:47pm
Msg #333346

"Why did it even have a hard drive for storage of it's actions? If people didn't know it was there, or the issue wasn't addressed, what was the purpose?"

These days, it's common for copiers to be used like printers and networked for print sharing. Jobs are queued, so data needs to be stored. You'd a thunk that it would be removed once the job was completed! (Or at least I would have.) But why a full hard drive with that kind of capacity? Does make me wonder. (It's been a while since I've used a copier in a big office or researched those things, so I'm not up to speed on whatever other functions they might offer. Maybe reprinting jobs previously sent?

I do hope this brings to people's attention - especially in the IT community - more privacy awareness.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 4/24/10 7:55pm
Msg #333347

BTW, Thanks Janet for the post n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/25/10 12:23pm
Msg #333397

Re: Thanks Janet. talk about breach of privacy! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.