Notary Rotary
Embosser Question
Notary Discussion History

Embosser Question
Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by AmyNotary/CA on 4/14/10 10:24pm
Msg #331801

Embosser Question

I'm going to use my embosser for the first time because the doc will be used in other country. The document has 4 pages (CA Power of Attorney). When I use my embosser, do I just use it on the signature page and my loose certificate, or do I need to use on all 4 pages and my certificate? If I use foil seal, should I put it on the signature page or my loose certificate? Any advice would be appreciated, thank you !

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/14/10 10:32pm
Msg #331802

Didn't you already ask this question?
See message 331390 and the responses. Maybe that will answer your question.

But, when I notarize signatures on docs going out of the country, I only use my embosser (along with the official seal) on the notarized page. I don't use a foil seal.

Reply by Cari on 4/15/10 11:08am
Msg #331845

ditto to Sylvia's answer.... n/m

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/14/10 10:32pm
Msg #331803

Different notaries do it differently...

but personally, I only put the embosser on my notarial certificate, near or on top of my signature. Some notaries will emboss all the pages as a security precaution, but such practices are based solely on the notary's own individual preference.

Since the embosser can be an official seal in California if darkened, I would say that it should only be affixed on the notarial certificate, because you can't affix a notary seal without appropriate wording.

Reply by PAW on 4/15/10 7:22am
Msg #331824

Also depends on country (embassy/consulate) policy and doc

FYI - On transcripts, I have found that there are a couple of countries or their embassy, that require that ALL pages be embossed. This does not require an official notarial embossing, but the school must emboss all the pages, or the certifying agent must use their 'company' embosser on all pages.

Fortunately, in Florida, the embosser is NOT an official seal, so the notary can actually emboss all pages of the transcript, if the notary makes a certified copy of a (non-public) school transcript, with the appropriate "attested copy" notarial certificate and stamp (seal) on the final page of the transcript.

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/14/10 10:33pm
Msg #331804

And foil seal should go on same page as notary certificate n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/14/10 10:40pm
Msg #331806

Amy, if you use your embosser with a foil seal, make SURE that you also include your ink seal. Remember, your seal must be reproducible... and it's okay to use the embosser in addition, but not instead of.

Put both seals in the same general location. If you use a loose certificate, then both seals should go there.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/14/10 10:43pm
Msg #331808

Also... it's okay to use JUST the embosser if you ink it instead of using foil, but, my experience is that doesn't provide a very legible seal. Don't even try to ink a foil seal... you'll regret it.

I use my embosser purely for aesthetics, but it is always after my regular ink seal.

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/15/10 9:04am
Msg #331826

Marian - is it correct that an embosser can be used

as an official seal in California if it is inked? That was my impression.

I would therefore assume that, like your stamp, you can not affix the embosser next to anything but appropriate notarial wording. In FL, as PAW stated above, embossers are not "official" and so there is nothing prohibiting us from embossing each page. But just for my own knowledge I wanted to clarify California's procedures.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/15/10 9:17am
Msg #331827

Re: Marian - is it correct that an embosser can be used

Maybe this will clarify it for you Robert. You can download the CA handbook from the CA website.

From the California handbook:

Because of the legal requirement that the seal be photographically reproducible, the rubber
stamp seal is almost universal. However, notaries public may use an embosser seal in addition
to the rubber stamp. The legal requirements for a seal are shown below. (Government Code
section 8207)
The seal must:
• Be photographically reproducible when affixed to a document;
• Contain the State Seal and the words “Notary Public”;
• Contain the name of the notary public as shown on the commission;
• Contain the name of the county where the oath of office and notary public bond are on
file;
• Contain the expiration date of the notary public’s commission;
• Contain the sequential identification number (commission number) assigned to the notary
public, as well as the identification number assigned to the seal manufacturer or vendor;
and
• Be circular not over two inches in diameter, or be a rectangular form of not more than
one inch in width by two and one-half inches in length, with a serrated or milled edged
border.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/15/10 9:52am
Msg #331830

Re: Ooh my, you found the answer in the handbook n/m

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/15/10 10:00am
Msg #331831

Re: Ooh my, you found the answer in the handbook

James
I have every states handbookSmile I update them whenever a new version comes out. That was from the 2010 California handbook.
California and Florida have the best notary handbooks. Wish all states would do the same.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/15/10 10:13am
Msg #331835

Re: Ooh my, you found the answer in the handbook

Did everyone one get it? appreciate and update!

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/15/10 12:48pm
Msg #331860

Re: Marian - is it correct that an embosser can be used

Like Sylvia mentioned, our handbook is pretty clear -- a seal must be able to be photocopied, so it has to be inked. An embosser *IS* a legitimate, real notarial seal in CA, it's just not "official" without the ink.

Personally, I would never emboss anywhere except near an ink seal, on the certificate page. I would not emboss two pages together, either...even partially, since some people might mistake it for being authentic.

I actually have now have a secondary embosser that I use for those purposes. It's one that I designed myself and is just my initials, essentially. I will, if needed, use THAT one to emboss the certificate and the signature page, and it will be noted on the certificate, too.

That way, nobody can fake a signature page since they don't have my other seal, and probably can't easily replicate it. Like I said, I designed it myself, not out of a catalog. It might be overkill... but I figure an ounce of prevention....

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/15/10 2:23pm
Msg #331874

You are correct.

Our handbook also says: "... a notary public seal and signature cannot be affixed to a document without the correct notarial wording."

And, yes, since in California the embosser is an authorized seal - if photographically reproducible, as Marian said - that would also require correct notarial wording.

Reply by AmyNotary/CA on 4/14/10 11:17pm
Msg #331812

Thank you all for your inputs! So glad that I belong to this community. Reading this forum is my daily routine because all the info here are invaluable. You guys are great!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.