Notary Rotary
Faxing back documents
Notary Discussion History

Faxing back documents
Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by PJM/MI on 4/11/10 9:55am
Msg #331212

Faxing back documents

Gotta love the companies that say, "There are documents to be faxed back, so we'll pay you extra".

Reply by John/CT on 4/11/10 11:35am
Msg #331222

While many others do not pay extra. n/m

Reply by Grammyzoom on 4/11/10 12:06pm
Msg #331224

Re: While many others do not pay extra.

I have learned to ask how many pages because of the "There are a few faxbacks so we will pay you $10.00 extra". Yeah RIGHT! 52 Pages of fax back! Takes longer to fax back than to do the signing.

Reply by RJE/MI on 4/11/10 1:55pm
Msg #331230

Since I have unlimited faxing on my dedicated fax line that I only pay $5 a month to have I always quote my fee and add that includes unlimited faxbacks.

That way when I am counter offering their fee with mine it doesn't sound like I'm charging for every breath they ask me to make and they feel they are getting a deal and are more likely to pay my fee.

Doesn't work all the time but definately works. Like my boss once told me "when your selling a service that everyone else is selling you have to have to have something that sets you apart from your competition other than what you are selling."

Since I have a pretty nice all in 1 that will quickly take as many pages into memory as I need and a very inexpensive way to maintain it I pass it along to my customers. Smile

Reply by Calnotary on 4/11/10 2:09pm
Msg #331234

My problem with faxbacks is the extra trip back home to fax. I always sign, notarized and drop package so if a client needs faxback, there you go, another trip to the drop box. That's the problem. I had one time one client that wanted to sign, faxback and drop the package at the very same afternoon, I told them I had other clients to sign that night, she told me to stop at kinkos and fax from there. That was the biggest joke of the day. It wasnt a purchase loan or something that really required a faxback it was just for their stupid quality control. Remember some people just ask for extra work and they think that they are supposed to get that extra work for free.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/11/10 2:13pm
Msg #331236

Yea, agreed. I ask them for their account # or credit card # so Kinkos can FAX the Docs back, the answer is always no!

Reply by CopperheadVA on 4/11/10 2:18pm
Msg #331237

Yeah right, do they think faxing from Kinkos is free????

Oh yeah, I'll just dip $20+ into my own profit so I can accommodate your faxback at Kinkos. Crazy!

Reply by cawest/PA on 4/11/10 5:53pm
Msg #331261

the extra trip back home to fax

There I agree with you!

In the end perhaps we notaries should start to consider investing in an RV ... come to think that lately docs are late and when that happens with 2 closings scheduled back to back it is a problem!
So with the RV : we would have our little travelling business center ...

Just kidding of course but the concept seems great (internet, tv and can start cooking diner for the family while waiting in front of the borrower's home to see the late docs coming in .. and hy not a little nap in between)

Reply by LynnNC on 4/11/10 4:58pm
Msg #331256

RJE/MI - Where do you get a dedicated fax line...

for only $5 a month?

Reply by RJE/MI on 4/11/10 9:27pm
Msg #331286

Re: RJE/MI - Where do you get a dedicated fax line...

Lynn,
I have a land line through Ameritech with unlimited long distance. I made the mistake of asking them if I could also send faxes on that line. They told me if I only did it occasionally it would be ok but otherwise I would need a dedicated fax line. With a lot of negotiating with Ameritech they offered me a line for $4.99.

I think if I had not even brought it up I could have done it on my land line but that always tied up our land line so it worked out in the end.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/11/10 5:30pm
Msg #331257

"I always quote my fee and add that includes unlimited faxbacks. "

That's the LAST thing I'd tell any company...especially when I know that although the long distance fee is minimal, it requires additional time to return to fax (an no, I don't have a Kinkos available), not to mention the additional 30 miles rt to drop the package.....and personally, I just wouldn't quote a fee for "unlimited" anything...

Reply by RJE/MI on 4/11/10 9:33pm
Msg #331287

My point exactly Linda. That is one of the thing that I do that sets me apart from my competition. It certianly does not encourage companies that require faxbacks to ask for them but it does show them that I have thought my fee out and took into consideration something that would benefit the customer.

Reply by RJE/MI on 4/11/10 10:03pm
Msg #331292

Oops sorry I meant to say "That do NOT require faxbacks" n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/11/10 2:11pm
Msg #331235

TIME is money too! I don't do faxbacks period. Send the Docs to me in time, I'll ship them back so you'll have time to review. If you don't trust me to do it correctly, get somebody else.

Reply by RJE/MI on 4/11/10 9:47pm
Msg #331289

You have made my case yet again Notarysigner. Your profile says you are committed to customer service but I'm sure if someone calls you because of your profile and you tell them "I don't do faxbacks period. If you don't trust me get someone else to do it" you are being somewhat self absorbed. How can you expect someone to trust you when they have never done business with you and probably has never even met you? Not trying to pick a fight. Just trying to understand your way of thinking.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/12/10 9:59am
Msg #331315

Easy, thanks for the opportunity. As a professional NSA, you know how to get the job done, period. Trust is a "rider" to being "qualified".
As a independent contractor, you have the right to conduct your business as you choose so no faxbacks for me (not to be confused with the responsibilities as a notary public).

My thinking? the borrower is my customer, they are paying for my services. If they wanted something faxed back, I would give them the correct number to send whatever.

Reply by Norma Woodall on 4/12/10 10:16am
Msg #331317

Hi everyone, I am new also to the notary signing and this info is very helpful. I have unlimited faxing through my land phone and do not charge extra although it does take time to do and I live in the country and must return home to faxback docs. Ususally a first time company will request this unless docs are needed urgently.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 4/12/10 10:31am
Msg #331320

Norma, welcome. Your time IS worth something and I think

you will find that, if you let them, you will have more and more low paying companies having you fax back documents and then try to balk when you finally have had enough and begin to charge more for the service. Your time is worth something and as a business owner, you should be charging for your time and services.

Good Luck in the biz Smile

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.