Notary Rotary
Filthy and smelly house
Notary Discussion History

Filthy and smelly house
Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Narlyne Desir on 4/30/10 4:36am
Msg #334242

Filthy and smelly house

I got an assignment recently from Nations Direct and when I got there the place was full of filth. I could have sworn I walked into a zoo and the stinch was unbelievable. I grit my teeth and I did the signing. The whole time I could smell dog urine all throughout the house and I was praying real hard so that I would not faint. I felt my throat was itchy and closing in on me. I could barely breathe and had difficulty speaking. I suffer from respiratory problems and when I got home I got sick. I coughed throughout the night incessantly and I felt like my lungs were about to give up on me. I seriously thought I would end up in the emergency room. After takink loads of allergy medication I felt some relief.

This is not the first I got an assignment from Nations Direct and the borrower's house was so filthy I was afraid to sit down. I did not want to be rude and so I tried to do the signing as quickly as possible. My husband felt that in the recent situation, I should have come up with a reason to move the signing outside of the home. I am looking for suggestions on how to handle filthy situations like this professionally without offending the borrower

Reply by CF on 4/30/10 7:16am
Msg #334249

There will be a lot of opinions about this but at this point in my career as a signing agent....I will not perform the closing under these types of conditions anymore. I have had my fair share and it is ridiculous for anyone to have to experience this. I, too, suffer from allergies and I have no obligations to any company to be exposed to a health hazard. Of course, a normal house with animals does not pose a problem....I am there for 1/2 hour and leave. My allergies are fine or if they flair up....it goes away with some fresh air.

I would simply say that I we need to move this closing to the nearest McDonald's/ Wendy's etc and I would offer to buy them a pop while we sign for their inconvenience. If they do not want to leave their home...then I would adjourn the signing.

For me this has only happened a few time....but a few times is enough. However, I can tell you that I had fleas on my clothes after my last experience and I will not risk bringing that into my own home/ car/ family. From now on I will not go in the home....and after briefly stepping in....I will make my suggestions and leave.

How other people live is, entirely, their business. It becomes my business when I have to be exposed to it. This is something that I am not willing to do. There is no client that is worth it. As for my good clients....they would trust my judgement and now that I acted in a professional manner to get the closing done to the best of my ability. In the end you are in control of the situation. JMO

Reply by Narlyne Desir on 4/30/10 8:55am
Msg #334267

Thank you. All the posts so far have excellent suggestions which I will consider should I have to encounter this situation again (hopefully not any time soon).

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 4/30/10 9:17am
Msg #334273

"buy them a pop" I thought that Chicago was the only

place where carbonated soft drinks, miscalled in most parts of the country as
"soda" was referred to by it's proper name of "pop"
As to the topic, I have never encountered anything that bad, but , on occaision,
I have used my folding plactic picnic table, rather than sitting on their filthy chairs
and trying to find a clean spot on a cluttered, sticky table.

Reply by CF on 4/30/10 9:44am
Msg #334283

As far as I know "pop"is the common term in MI, OH, IN, IL

I could be wrong....I thought that it was a Midwestern term. The funnest thing is down south everything is referred to as a Coke and then they ask "what kind?". We lived in South Carolina for a bit and no one knew what we meant by saying pop.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 4/30/10 10:17am
Msg #334295

CF Not in southern IL. We drink soda. funny thing

a long time ago I dated a guy from IA. He asked for a pop and I had no idea what he was talking about. He didn't know what I was talking about when I told him it was in the ice box. He had never heard that. We had a good laugh.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 4/30/10 10:43am
Msg #334299

No , Linda, a soda is served in a tall glass, and is made

with ice cream, flavoring ( chocolate, cherry, pineapple, etc.) and fizzy water.
Should be topped off with a little whip cream and a big red maricino cheery
with the stem attached.
Get with it, girl.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 4/30/10 11:18am
Msg #334309

No Bob, when I POP a top, its a beer can, seriously lol n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/30/10 10:55am
Msg #334301

Re: CF Not in southern IL. We drink soda. funny thing

a "pop" is one of those miniature bottles of you favorite alcoholic beverage, here. LOL

Reply by MistarellaFL on 4/30/10 6:58pm
Msg #334403

We had pop in Kansas City, both KS = MO

When I moved to Florida, no one knew what I was talking about.
I thought soda was the yucky stuff some people mixed with scotch whiskey Smile

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/30/10 11:01am
Msg #334304

Re: "buy them a pop" I thought that Chicago was the only

In parts of England, they are "soda pop"

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 4/30/10 12:31pm
Msg #334328

In parts of England, they are "soda pop" Well what would

you expect from people who drink warm beer, talk funny , call french fries, chips, and
an elevator a lift, and a subway , a tube????

Reply by Kay/IL on 4/30/10 11:14am
Msg #334307

Re: "buy them a pop" I thought that Chicago was the only

LOL...

Bob, I've heard "pop" used in WI, MI, MN and IN.

Obviously a regional thingy.

Reply by Dorothy_MI on 4/30/10 4:50pm
Msg #334378

Go to Boston

There "soda", "pop" or "soda Pop" (the correct name) is called TONIC! First time I heard that I thought immediately of "gin and tonic". Our friends from there think that Schwepes or Canada Dry is Ginger Ale and as most of us midwesterners know; Only Vernors in ginger ale. Everything else is a sweet pale imitation.

Reply by Sal Servin on 4/30/10 9:45am
Msg #334284

Can you believe this!!...in America where people have everything at their desposal to clean
their home. Been there!! Unbelieveable!!..

Reply by Kay/IL on 4/30/10 7:38am
Msg #334253

As much as I am not a fan of ND, this situation could also occur from a closing with one of your favorite clients.

If you come across an unbearable situation like this again, give the borrower some allergy excuse (dog hair, cat hair, pollen, dust, mold, etc.) and ask if the closing can continue at another location. Like the other poster stated, offer to buy them a coffee or pop for the "inconvenience."

Hope that helps.

Reply by Grammyzoom on 4/30/10 8:17am
Msg #334257

Over the years I have been to some pretty awful houses but recently we went to the home of a "filthy hoarder" and did not realize it until we were inside the house. I did the signing standing up, Bill notarized and checked the documents. It is our practice (we are a team) to have me then double check the docs prior to leaving. Not this time. I was either going to pass out or vomit and bolted out of the house. Outside I told the YOUNG woman that it was nice to meet her but I was not feeling well.

We swore that no matter what we would never stay in a home like that again. If I have to sign on the hood of our car I will. However, I would probably blame an alergy to something and move the signing to a nearby fast food place if possible. If not then we are gone and will call the client to let them know what happened. If we lose the client I am sorry but the 30 minutes we spent in that house was horrible and not worth the fee we were paid!

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/30/10 9:36am
Msg #334277

I have never had this happen but pretty close. I am prepared; I would immediately ask for a location where we could have comfort level for all of us. If they didn't get it, I'd point at the biggest "problem" I saw.

It has been my experience that people who live under such conditions usually will meet you somewhere.

This is also a sign that maybe " the lights are on but nobody's home" so just maybe the signing (incompetency) shouldn't be happening in the first place.

Reply by Pamela Hoyle on 4/30/10 9:56am
Msg #334290

It actually seems to be getting worse, rather than better. Did one at a house where there were LIVE goats (pygmies) and a Cockatoo that had free run of the house. Birds that fly around free drop stuff ALL over...just missed hitting the DOT. And the borrowers shared with me that the goats sleep in bed with them. I don't care if they are the size of a medium dog...not sharing my bed with a hoofed animal. Was really glad to be done with that one.
Most heart-wrenching was a RM application about a month ago. BO was told that in her area her home would appraise for much higher than it probably would've...it was in terrible shape, she was a hoarder and we did her signing ON HER BED next to a pile of used Depends. No way was it gonna fly, and in these RM apps there is a place for me (as app taker) to note that leads me to believe house is may not appraise for a minimum amount and if there is any deferred maintenance. I would've taken her out for coffee, but she was nearly bedridden and used a motarize wheelchair...weighed probably 450 lbs and I couldn't see her climbing into my high 4WD.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 4/30/10 11:00am
Msg #334303

Bird Diapers

http://www.avianfashions.com/

Although from your post, it sounds like those particular borrowers did not mind all the bird droppings in the house! Yuk!

Reply by CinOH on 4/30/10 10:26am
Msg #334296

I have respiratory problems also. I also have a very weak stomach. I just can't take too much.

I do a lot for a local title co. They work with a broker who seems to cater to people with FILTHY homes. Where he finds his clients, I'm not sure. But all of the ones I've signed for him are really filthy. They also like to drink alcohol during the closings.

I raised the issue with title and they were very understanding. They now leave the location open for all of his closings and I set them up for a local library or fast food restaurant.

When I happen upon a filthy home, I immediately ask that we move the closing to another location. I don't even sit down. Most don't even ask why. They know why. If they ask I cite allergies or a "strange odor" that is making me feel ill. Only one person has refused. Always call title or the SS and tell them why you can't work there. They may be able to help you "convince" the signer to move the signing if they're reluctant.

When I confirm the appointment part of what I always say is, "We will need a CLEAN, quiet environment where we can sign the documents. "

I always stress clean. Some people will laugh and say, "Well we'd better meet at your place" or something like that. At that point it gives me the opportunity to suggest a local restaurant or library.

I too was made sick from someone's filthy home. Never again. People in filthy homes know their home is not suitable for others and most will not put up a fight when asked to move the signing.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/30/10 11:02am
Msg #334305

Just a serious note about this subject. My mother-in-law felt sorry for a neighbor who had cleanliness issues and one day went over to this persons house and cleaned the entire place. I mean down on knees scrubbing. A week later she was hospitalized with a staph infection and almost died. Three weeks in the hospital, medical bills $xx,xxx. Now the neighbor won't even talk to her because shes "embarrassed."

Reply by CinOH on 4/30/10 11:29am
Msg #334314

"A week later she was hospitalized with a staph infection and almost died."

I can believe this. Being in a filthy house really is a health issue. There's a show called "How Clean is your House" where they go in and clean filthy homes. The germs, bacteria, and diseases they find in dirty houses is unbelievable.

I did a signing at a house infested by fleas. When I left I had flea bites all over my legs. Later I developed fevers, chills, and nausea. I was put on a strong round of antibiotics. The doctor told me fleas can cause Bubonic Plague. No thanks.

No signing is worth risking your health.

Reply by Kay/IL on 4/30/10 11:44am
Msg #334316

On a Slightly Different Note

I've been to quite a few homes where the place was neat but from the smell of the house, the borrowers were heavy smokers. It does not take much for me to get a headache from the smoke. Usually the borrowers were gracious enough not to smoke during the closing and if they needed to would usually ask if I minded. I'd tell them we'll finish as fast as we can, but to kindly please hold off until after we finished signing (due to allergies) and that they may take a "smoke break" outside while I do my quality check.

That always works.

Reply by Yowheelz on 5/1/10 8:27am
Msg #334472

Don't blame ND for stinky houses

We bad mouth ND a lot for measly pay but dirty homes is not their fault.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.