Notary Rotary
Finiti Title--social security number
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by housemouse on 4/9/10 11:21am
Msg #330957

Recieved and email with a package to sign up, normally I do not give my SSN on the w-9 and write on there after 1st assignment, I have had calls and emails saying I will not be in their data base unless I give my my SSN they even wanted it over the phone........any feedback on this. the email and calls were from Sarnia Butler

Reply by BossLadyMD on 4/9/10 11:23am
Msg #330958

wait for them to send work your way first, i do n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/9/10 11:27am
Msg #330962

If I were you, I'd tell them that you do NOT want an inquiry from them to show up on your credit report. I willingly give the last four and if I do over the required amount of signings, furnish the rest.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/9/10 11:28am
Msg #330963

Get a FEIN and use that

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=102767,00.html

And research any and all companies before you go through the trouble.

MHO

Reply by BossLadyMD on 4/9/10 11:34am
Msg #330965

get a security freeze, my SS #'s useless to anyone but me :) n/m

Reply by Richard Goodwin on 4/9/10 11:51am
Msg #330971

Re: get a security freeze, my SS #'s useless to anyone but me :)

Could you explain what is meant by a "security freeze"? Thanks

Reply by BossLadyMD on 4/9/10 12:50pm
Msg #330987

Re: get a security freeze, my SS #'s useless to anyone but me :)

it blocks your credit data, summary, and score. no one can open an account, make purchases, etc. it is designed to prevent identity theft. you should block it with all three (equifax, experian, transunion). i try to open an account every so often to make sure that it is still working like a charm and it alway is...lol!

Reply by Roger_OH on 4/9/10 12:01pm
Msg #330972

Linda's right - use an EIN for all your business dealings!

Only takes a few minutes in the IRS website. It identifies your notary business and and goes on your Schedule C when filing your federal taxes.

Don't give your SSN out to companies!

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 4/9/10 12:22pm
Msg #330977

Re: Linda's right - use an EIN for all your business dealings!

I was just dropped from a SS because I wouldn't give them my SSA number. They wouldn't accept my EIN. Now, I wonder why? Well, I don't know why - but if I had to guess their reasons, none of them would be good (for us!). (Ask Brenda/TX). I've raised this issue before: We as public officials should have some expectation to personal privacy in the commission of our duties. However, too many lenders/TCs/SSs think we do not. Proof of commission is not good enough for them. They make no promises or pledges regarding protecting our privacy as they demand we hand over copies of our DLs/passports and SS cards, etc. Unfortunately, too many notaries do just that, no problem, which makes it all the harder for us when we say no.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/9/10 12:49pm
Msg #330986

I have a business licensed in my county...

my business has an EIN...I do work under that business name - so they get my EIN...period...

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 4/9/10 1:00pm
Msg #330991

Re: I have a business licensed in my county...

I do the same as Linda, work under an EIN #. It's safer.

Reply by MW/VA on 4/9/10 3:02pm
Msg #331019

Ditto. I use only an EIN. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.