Notary Rotary
For Il and Wi agents
Notary Discussion History

For Il and Wi agents
Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Ali/IL on 4/13/10 3:42pm
Msg #331523

For Il and Wi agents

How many of you are accepting the Mexican matricula card?

Thanks

Reply by A S Johnson on 4/13/10 4:12pm
Msg #331530

Texas does NOT consider acceptable ID

Reply by Linda Juenger on 4/13/10 4:47pm
Msg #331552

Ali, Does that card have 3 things 1. Photo 2. Signature 3. not expired

I have never seen one of these cards. I can't accept the military ID anymore because it does not contain a signature. Our laws changed on June 1 of 2009.

Reply by Ali/IL on 4/13/10 5:35pm
Msg #331564

issue date,expiration date,photo,address and signature

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/13/10 5:42pm
Msg #331567

I don't believe those matricular cards are authorized ID cards.
The matricula card is not a secure document. Mexico does not authenticate documents used to obtain the ID against computerized data files in Mexico. No major bank in Mexico accepts the card to open an account and the cards are recognized as IDs in only 10 of Mexico's 32 states and districts.

They are of use only to illegal aliens, legal immigrants have US ID's

Reply by Linda Juenger on 4/13/10 5:55pm
Msg #331569

Ali Our IL law also states it must be a State or Federal ID

Like I said, I have never seen one of these cards but by what Sylvia is saying, they are issued in Mexico, not in the US.

Reply by Ali/IL on 4/13/10 6:01pm
Msg #331574

Re: Ali Our IL law also states it must be a State or Federal ID

Sylvia is very correct in what she has stated.

I see them a lot in my area. When I tell them that I don't accept them they say that their lender knows. And the borrowers name is on document that has this card.

It's always not a coborrower but, a spouse that needs to sign marital docs.

Usually a wife.

Reply by Cari on 4/13/10 6:01pm
Msg #331575

these cards mislead alot of mexican immigrants....

...because these can be used by banks to open up checking/savings account, the holders believe its a valid id.

I get alot of calls from spanish speaking clients asking if they can use that card for id purposes to which I say no, and that they need a current d.l or id, otherwise I can't help them.

Then I refer them over to the Mexican consulate.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/13/10 6:05pm
Msg #331577

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matr%C3%ADcula_Consular

scroll down to Security Issues part of which states:

U.S. law enforcement officials also cite that Matricula Consular cards are issued by Mexican Consulate without checking the authenticity of the applicant's supporting documentation. In testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) disclosed and reported that the Matricula Consular card is inherently unreliable and unverifiable as an identification card and is highly vulnerable to fraud, regardless of its security features

Reply by Ali/IL on 4/13/10 6:35pm
Msg #331585

Right. And, there are people that are being issued multiple cards to commit crime.

The people that present them are always spouses not on note. I don't feel comfortable about taking them at all.

They are being accepted all in the interest of money.

Reply by cawest/PA on 4/13/10 7:47pm
Msg #331597

Can you accept a passport card in your State?
Here in PA some say *yes* but I do not believe we can, a passport that is not expired yes but the passport card seems to be a different story.

Reply by jba/fl on 4/13/10 8:00pm
Msg #331598

There was a discussion recently about passport cards wherein all who knew of them thought they were a great idea and acceptable. (Sorry, don't feel like looking it up.)

Reply by jba/fl on 4/13/10 8:08pm
Msg #331599

Well, heck, Corrine, you were a major contributor to those discussions (326433 & 328173 threads).

As they have basicall the same info as a passport and a signature...what's not to use? It is a passport, condensed version, ie, smaller - right?

Reply by cawest/PA on 4/13/10 8:16pm
Msg #331601

I have been treying to find it but gave up for the night ... had a closing today that gave me a migraine ... I am not sure they understood for the whole 2 hours that I was only there to notarize their signatures and was not an Attorney!

Reply by jba/fl on 4/13/10 8:09pm
Msg #331600

BTW - I am not scolding you in my response. Please don't take it that way.

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/14/10 7:00am
Msg #331644

Passport cards don't contain a signature

... so they are probably unacceptable in some states.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3923.html

Reply by jba/fl on 4/14/10 7:28am
Msg #331651

Re: Passport cards don't contain a signature

I stand corrected - not having seen one and from previous conversation, I somehow thought they had a signature. Thanks R.

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/14/10 8:57am
Msg #331657

I have a passport card - looks cool and easy to travel with n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 4/14/10 10:23am
Msg #331668

Re: I have a passport card - looks cool and easy to travel with

Is the information embedded in a magnetic strip?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/14/10 10:32am
Msg #331672

JulesSmile

To increase speed, efficiency, and security at U.S. land and sea border crossings, the passport card contains a vicinity-read radio frequency identification (RFID) chip. This chip points to a stored record in secure government databases. There is no personal information written to the RFID chip itself.

With RFID technology, Customs and Border Protection inspectors will be able to access photographs and other biographical information stored in secure government databases as the traveler approaches an inspection station.

The passport card uses state-of-the-art security features to prevent against the possibility of counterfeiting and forgery. In addition, a protective, RFID-blocking sleeve is provided with each passport card to protect against unauthorized reading or tracking of the card when it is not in use.

Reply by jba/fl on 4/14/10 11:21am
Msg #331676

So passing through customs is really simplified? I mean, unless they want to search baggage.

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/14/10 11:29am
Msg #331677

>>So passing through customs is really simplified? I mean, unless they want to search baggage.<<

In theory. I have only ever used it to travel by cruise ship so I presented it like I would present a regular passport book. Supposedly, customs officers can just scan a passport card to verify its authenticity without closely inspecting it, but some of the newer "electronic" passport books have a similar chip that does the same thing.

The benefits to the passport card are that its cheaper than a book and is more convenient to carry.

Reply by jba/fl on 4/14/10 11:37am
Msg #331679

But no signature....ok, you and Sylvia have answered all my questions. Thank you both.

Reply by dickb/wi on 4/13/10 7:20pm
Msg #331594

not allowed in wi in following the fed guidelines for id.... n/m

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/14/10 6:58am
Msg #331642

In Fla. we can only accept

Mexican driver licenses or identification cards if they are issued by "a public agency authorized to issue driver's licenses in [...] Mexico".

I have never seen one of those matricula cards, but from what I hear it is not a very secure document. Unless it was issued by the Mexican DMV or equivalent, I won't accept it. And personally I would question how someone made it from Mexico to Florida with a matricula card as their only ID. Surely they have a Mexican passport, which we can accept (only if it has been stamped by the U.S. Bureau of Immigration).

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.