Notary Rotary
Grr, not sure how to word this..
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Heather/NH on 4/30/10 9:37am
Msg #334278

I am at a signing now at the lenders office, the borrowers don't like the closing costs and they don't know if they want to sign.. I have been here almost 45 minutes already and after combing through the HUD they are now speaking alone.... How would you politely let them know that I don't have ALL DAY to sit here and wait....?? Grr.....

Reply by PAW on 4/30/10 9:40am
Msg #334281

Tactfully and politely, ask to speak with the loan officer and tell him/her the situation and offer to come back at a later time. (If it's convenient for you to do so.) Employees don't think about the time, since they're not on a schedule, so to speak.

Reply by Grammyzoom on 4/30/10 10:07am
Msg #334292

Perfect suggestion PAW! n/m

Reply by Heather/NH on 4/30/10 11:23am
Msg #334310

Thanks!
The loan officer was on vacation :o)
After a total of one hour since the scheduled time and only 3 pages signed I told them that I had an appt. after them and that I would be able to meet them again on Monday. The wife then replied "well I hope we are done then"....
They ended up signing and we did get it completed. Whew.. glad it is done.

Reply by PAW on 4/30/10 12:09pm
Msg #334320

Signing at the lender's office but no LO?

You said that the signing was taking place in the lender's office. Then you said, "... after combing through the HUD they are now speaking alone." Who were they speaking with? I assumed, since you were at the lender's office that the borrowers were speaking with their LO.

If it was them and you and no one else, then I would have said the same thing to the borrowers, then attempt to get someone who would represent the lender and explain things to them, including your function and time limitations.

Reply by Lee/AR on 4/30/10 10:15am
Msg #334293

PAW has the best suggestion, but if returning isn't an option....there's always the RTC! Call hiring entity from the table & explain 'excessive time' situation.

Reply by Reverse Mortgage of America - Jessica on 4/30/10 10:48am
Msg #334300

though it isn't YOUR job to do this, my suggestion is when confirming the appointment, ask if the borrower has been provided a copy of the HUD. if not, ask if you can send a copy for their review before the signing. this can alleviate some "surprises" at close when the closing costs are greater than expected. if the borrower doesn't have access over the phone, i offer to run a few numbers by them. typically all i have to indicate is the total closing costs, the payoff total and how much money they are getting back or have to bring in. it may seem like a lot of upfront work, but i'd rather be on the phone for 10 min than stuck at a signing while the borrowers decide if they want to move forward (after i've printed the docs and traveled!).
as far as handling your situation, indicate you have other obligations or appointments to attend to. if the borrowers decide to sign and you can't fit the appointment in at a later time, then pull all the docs to be notarized and get those done first. in your case, they are at the lender's office and surely their LO can help complete the remaining docs to be signed and drop them in an overnight bin.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.