Notary Rotary
Has anybody heard about this?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Hugh Nations Signing Agents of Austin on 4/1/10 2:22am
Msg #329893

Interesting item on a website I frequent. Haven’t seen it mentioned in any of the mainstream media, or anywhere else, for that matter. Wonder if anything will come of it.

DENVER – The National Conference of State Chief Justices, prodded by many of its members, is examining the possibility of eliminating notaries public in all 50 states.

The impetus for the change is the recent mortgage crisis, and the numerous instances in which notaries amassed fortunes charging exorbitant fees to both home purchasers and borrowers refinancing their mortgages.

“I think what really concerns the justices,” said Dewey Ubechtchu, executive director of the NCSCJ, “is the many cases they encountered where unwitting borrowers paid fees of $60, $75, even as high as $90 to unscrupulous notaries to ‘assist’ with their closings. In many cases, you can clearly see how an ultimate mortgage default by a borrower is tied directly to such original fee gouging.”

Ubechtchu said the NCSCJ executive council has approved the development of a model notary public code. Work will begin shortly, he noted, and is expected to be completed by April 1 of 2011. If all goes as expected, he said, the justices are hoping the code will be adopted in all 50 states a year later, by April 1, 2012.

“One of the things that we will be specifically exploring,” he said, “is eliminating entirely the office of notary public. The Steering Committee is leaning quite strongly toward providing that discount store checkers, such as at Wal-Mart and Target, be authorized to administer oaths. Bar-coding legal documents would bring the entire process into the 21st Century.

“As the Steering Committee envisions the changes, it won’t be too long before a six-pack to go will mean a DOT, RTC, 1003, Marital Status Affidavit, Debts & Liens Affidavit, and HUD.”

The NCSCJ membership consists of the chief justices of the supreme courts in all the 50 states and U.S. territories.

In conjunction with the organization’s release, the National Notary Association announced that it will be offering training courses, beginning April 1, 2011, for all Wal-Mart and Target checkers in the proposed model code, and that it will also be offering a Blue-Light Special on background checks.

The NNA announcement noted that Wal-Mart checkers easily earn in excess of $60,000 annually, and all indications are that that figure will rise after they start performing the anticipated new functions.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/1/10 2:26am
Msg #329894

That's really funny! n/m

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/1/10 3:26am
Msg #329895

Re: That's really funny! Agreed!! ;>)

Hugh, good to see you back and again bringing us some comic relief!

Reply by Susan Fischer on 4/1/10 3:43am
Msg #329897

Co-sign. n/m

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 4/1/10 7:00am
Msg #329899

Re: Co-sign.

April Fools!

Reply by Carole Breckbill on 4/1/10 7:24am
Msg #329901

April Fools - right? n/m

Reply by NCsignguy on 4/1/10 8:11am
Msg #329911

cant wait to get my blue vest, maybe we can use the table at the McDonalds in Walmart

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 4/1/10 8:47am
Msg #329917

Good one, Hugh. What I find most amazing is the fact

that , supposidy, sane professionsal were awake and posting on
NOTROT at 2:22am, 2:26am, 3:36am and 3:43 am.
Get some sleep, people

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/1/10 9:29am
Msg #329921

Heck Bob...

The insults go on way into the night on certain areas of this board.

But today...well...that's a new beginning! Let's all wipe the pollen balls out of our eyes and welcome a fresh, new Spring or a Happy Easter time...Passover...but I'm with Bob...

A notary's gotta sleep. (At least this one! LOL)

Reply by Deborah Lewellen on 4/1/10 9:43am
Msg #329924

I'm so Gullible

Ok, you had me going there till the end, I was cussing all the while reading it....LOL

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/1/10 12:14pm
Msg #329954

Me too Deb...don't feel bad... n/m

Reply by Hugh Nations Signing Agents of Austin on 4/1/10 9:42am
Msg #329923

Re: Good one, Hugh.

***What I find most amazing is the fact that , supposidy, sane professionals were awake and posting on NOTROT at 2:22am***

When you're in your 70s and acquire a platinum blonde girlfriend, you don't get a lot of sleep.

The jury is still out on the sanity issue.

Reply by A S Johnson on 4/1/10 9:58am
Msg #329927

Hugh,
Texas bragging!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/2/10 1:08am
Msg #330070

And some of us are just in different time zones.... well, I guess that only helps by a couple of hours for those of us in Pacific Std Time, but every little bit helps! Wink

Reply by Susan Fischer on 4/1/10 10:13am
Msg #329933

Zzzzzzzzzz. Mfmf? ZZzzzzzzzzzz. n/m

Reply by Stamper_WI on 4/1/10 10:15am
Msg #329934

they are 24/7 notaries n/m

Reply by trnsa_IL on 4/1/10 1:16pm
Msg #329970

LOLOLOL!! April Fool's!!! That's a good one! n/m

Reply by Frenchie/TN on 4/1/10 2:00pm
Msg #329977

Re: LOLOLOL!! April Fool's!!! That's a good one!

Dewey Ubetchu: love the name. Good April's fool!!!

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 4/1/10 3:11pm
Msg #329999

Re: Early risers and night owls..

For the record..I was not on at 7:00 AM it was closer to 8:00! My gosh I have to get a life..lol

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.