Notary Rotary
Hospitals & Elderly Homes
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Angie Altamirano on 4/27/10 5:08pm
Msg #333826

I want to begin notarizing documents at hospitals and elderly homes but I am not sure how to approach it. Any suggestions?

Reply by JulieD/KS on 4/27/10 5:12pm
Msg #333830

I"m going to do the same here in my area. I'm creating a website, created a business card...and will be calling & visiting all the places where seniors congregate.

Reply by Angie Altamirano on 4/27/10 5:19pm
Msg #333836

Julie,
Thank you.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 4/27/10 6:43pm
Msg #333884

Also guys go to kinkos leave your cards. They stopped notorizing docs in house. I left my cards with the manager got one call aready.

Reply by Abby Wallace on 4/28/10 10:15am
Msg #333945

In the notary office I work at, we just sent out letters to all the local nursing homes and hospitals. We have not received any response yet, but it still helps to have a name of a notary on file.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/27/10 5:14pm
Msg #333831

Just go to front desk and ask for an appointment with the Director. Explain what you'd like to do and see if it fit's into their business plan.

Reply by Angie Altamirano on 4/27/10 5:17pm
Msg #333834

Thanks! They are building a senior citizens home in my area, I will probably try that too. Thanks again.

Reply by pat/WA on 4/27/10 5:25pm
Msg #333843

We do this. If you go to senior nursing homes, be prepared. It can be very depressing. Also, there will be many seniors wanting wills, POAs, and Health directives signed and notarized and they will have no current IDs as they no longer drive and did not think to get a passport or state ID.

Reply by brass/LA on 4/27/10 5:24pm
Msg #333842

Providing mobile notary service to hospital patients and nursing home residents is a big part of my notary practice. The legal department of most hospitals will be glad to get your card and refer requests to you as they usually won't notarize documents for patients. You can also check with the patient affairs department (or some variation of that title).

For nursing homes and assisted living centers check with the social services director.

All of these contacts are best made in person, not by phone or mail.

Reply by pat/WA on 4/27/10 5:26pm
Msg #333846

If you need witnesses, don't expect staff to provide them.

Reply by Bravo on 4/27/10 6:56pm
Msg #333886

Just curious...at ten dollars per signature, how could a senior living facility or a nursing home provide anyone with a good income? Do you charge a travel fee?

Reply by pat/WA on 4/27/10 7:16pm
Msg #333890

Yes, we charge $25.00 that includes mileage and we don't charge anything for additional signatures. There is usually at least a POA and a Health directive. When we arrive and there is not ID that we can accept we do not charge anything.
As I said this is very depressing work and not something we do for profit.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/27/10 7:26pm
Msg #333892

I volunteer free notarization at a senior citizens facility on a certain weekday morning every week. I rarely do more than two on any given week. I do so to give back to my community. It more then offsets my expenses as they give me an office and weekly press in their Senior citizens newspaper. It has a circulation outside of the facility, the entire community. The referrals are unbelievable,....from non seniors who see the newspaper and also need a notary. Marketing.

Reply by Roger_OH on 4/27/10 8:28pm
Msg #333903

I do a TON of these...

and really enjoy them; my experience is quite contrary to Pat/WA assertion about depressing work. While there are certainly some sad situations, those are tempered by the fact that you're helping families that need it by completing docs that are extremely important to them; last time I looked, that's what we're all about. Most are VERY grateful, especially for being mobile.

I'm fortunate to be in a larger metro area with many health facilities. I've found it best to contact with the social services staff, as they are who will usually call you with a family need. Other times, families just find me on the net themselves. A website for your business is definitely helpful to have.

Cash on the barrelhead, and no fee hassles. The families are just happy that I come to the facility so they can get it done and have it behind them. Fortunately, no travel fee limits here, so the $2 per signature can be made worthwhile.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 4/27/10 8:14pm
Msg #333899

I am very hesitant to do notary work in nursing homes because the cognizance level I have encountered has been questionable. So now I just say no. I would love to help these folks out because I understand it's difficult for them to be ambulatory, but I don't want to be brought into some lawsuit later.

I have done a few notarizations at hospitals, but the last one I almost walked out because the patient was soooo RUDE to me. He didn't want to bother showing me his ID or signing my journal, he just wanted to "get on with it". I put my foot down and said that if he wanted ME to notarize for HIM then we would be doing it MY way. Good heavens, I was there at his request for Pete's sake! Honestly, I almost walked out but he complied and I completed the notarization. He was terminal and I tried my best to be understanding, but I am unaccustomed to such rudeness from people who request my services.

On the flip side, I previously did two separate notarizations at a hospital for a guy who had his foot amputated and he and his family could not have been nicer.

Reply by Roger_OH on 4/27/10 8:46pm
Msg #333908

If I have any reservations about signer competence or awareness, then we don't proceed. I refer them back to social services, who then will often try to hook them up with an elder care attorney who can assist in establishing guardianship.

I'm usually able to prevent those situations, by always discussing these limitations with the family or social worker up front when scheduling the appointment. I've done hundreds of these, and can count on one hand the ones I've ever had to decline once I've arrived. Like I said, I find them enjoyable and fulfilling.

Reply by MW/VA on 4/27/10 8:41pm
Msg #333905

I do take general notary work for hospitals & nursing homes. It's all in how you view it.
I consider it service to the community. My minimum fee w/travel is $25, but I can adjust that to less if I feel the circumstances warrant. Sometimes there is a narrow window for people to get a POA done. Just make sure you get ID, and know that the signer is "willing & aware".

Reply by MW/VA on 4/27/10 8:43pm
Msg #333906

You might also want to view message 11920 that was on the

"Leisure" forum the other day. It is all about what you DON'T want to do.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 4/27/10 10:53pm
Msg #333916

First, a Notary Public notarizes signatures, not

documents.

Second, one assumes you mean 'Homes for the Elderly,' and not old homes.

Ms. Altamirano, I suggest you invest in further education before you leap into this endeavor. Your question startles the collective Notarial Senses.

Aside from your marketing question, the premise is scary, from a professional point of view, all due respect.

Please keep asking questions before you act.

Reply by Angie Altamirano on 4/29/10 4:39pm
Msg #334210

Re: First, a Notary Public notarizes signatures, not

First, one like you assumes correctly. I do not need to type my sentences word by word for "educated" people to understand my questions? I posted a question for assistance and not for criticism.

Second, I fully understand my role as a notary and my commission proves it.

Please keep negative remarks to yourself, all due respect, of course.

Reply by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 4/28/10 12:57pm
Msg #333969

Good Luck. Most of the calls I receive from these facilties

are from staff who seriously shop around for the cheapest notary, because they are either calling on behalf of their resident, family member or will be paying for the notary's services.

When I receive calls from family members, its usually because they need to take care of their relative's financial affairs (POA)...so there is potential to make a few extra $$ for general notary work, but dont' bank on it (or quit your day job)...Smile

You will probably never get a call from an actual resident from one of these facilities, unless they are freshly admitted and/or not on any meds....yet.

Certainly a good marketing tool to extend yourself out for general notary tasks/duties.

DISCLAIMER: my post is not intended to offend anyone with relativs in nursing homes, hospices or if you are currently in one...God Bless!

Reply by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 4/28/10 1:00pm
Msg #333970

when I say facilities, I mean nursing homes... n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.