Notary Rotary
I go to Census School tomorrow!!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Linda_H/FL on 4/11/10 7:20pm
Msg #331273

Got a call this morning (yes, Sunday morning) for training starting tomorrow!! Boy..haven't had this schedule in a really really long time...

Now...you watch the phone start ringing off the hook!!!

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/11/10 7:25pm
Msg #331274

Congrats Linda...1, 2, 3, 4,........

Reply by Alyse Karasik on 4/11/10 7:29pm
Msg #331276

Hi Linda-What is Census school?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/11/10 7:34pm
Msg #331277

Have to attend training to work as an

enumerator for the 2010 Census...

Yes, James....32 hours in class to teach me how to count!!...LOL

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 4/11/10 7:52pm
Msg #331279

Ur publec edumacation didnt do tat? LOL good luck n/m

Reply by Linda Juenger on 4/11/10 7:53pm
Msg #331280

Re: Ur publec edumacation didnt do tat? LOL good luck

Good Luck. Have fun.

Reply by Philip Johnson on 4/11/10 8:22pm
Msg #331282

Make sure to make every minute count. n/m

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 4/11/10 9:00pm
Msg #331284

Re: 1+1=2 do you need to know more than that? lol

Congratulations Linda..Have a great week!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/11/10 9:05pm
Msg #331285

LOL Claudine...you're cute!!

I'd guess the biggest part is teaching us all how to use the computers we'll be using - sure hope I don't need my own personal laptop cuz it's not going with me...

I'm assuming they lost someone since I got such a last=minute call about it...

Reply by MonicaFL on 4/11/10 9:50pm
Msg #331291

I have been working for them for about a month now. We were enumerators - we went out into the field and actually knocked on doors - however the doors we knocked on were in campgrounds and mobile home parks. The pay was good and the mileage was even better. Have also gone in to do "other" things and at the same rate of pay and mileage. Nice temporary job for the money. And, from what I hear, they still need about 1500 more people - but beware, not all of the jobs pay the same and not all of the jobs will pay you mileage. Linda, be sure a pack a lunch! you get a 30 minute lunch break and everyone brought their lunch. Hope this helps.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 4/11/10 10:48pm
Msg #331294

What good fortune! (ringringringring) Friends who

do this work report great experiences. Much overcoming initial mistrust, dispelling fears and misconceptions, and schmoozing.

At dinner one Fri nite, they shared stories, and one gal mentioned pets. She pulled out a baggie of cat treats from one pocket, and one of little doggie treat from another - premium quality, of course. Brilliant! The rest of us got her tab, and my next signing was a hit with borrower's Francois, the Sensational Scotty. Wink

Have a ball, Linda. Nice goin'.

Reply by Regal/NC on 4/12/10 6:03am
Msg #331303

My class starts 4/26. n/m

Reply by MistarellaFL on 4/12/10 6:08am
Msg #331304

I start this morning, too

But I was called a few months back, and today is finally the day!

Reply by mwm143 on 4/12/10 8:15am
Msg #331309

Chatted with a Census Worker while on vacation

last week. She was knocking on doors of the condominum complex trying to determiine who was a permanent resident and who wasn't. I spoke to her early in the day and then again at the end of the day. When I asked how her day was she told me that while most people were polite there were a few who were rude and/or verbally assaulted her while ranting that they were not going to help Obama with his plans to...... (fill in the blank). I felt bad for her. She was a semi retired Real Estate Agent just trying to supplement her income.

To those who may have worked before with the Census, do they offer any instruction on how to handle those types of situations?

Reply by Cari on 4/12/10 11:53am
Msg #331335

do you know that the Fed gov't $56 person that goes out...? n/m

Reply by JAM/CA on 4/12/10 1:12pm
Msg #331346

Me too Linda, except n/m

Reply by JAM/CA on 4/12/10 1:13pm
Msg #331347

Me too Linda, except

I start on the 26th of this month. Of course, last day to sign. Get up at 6:00 a.m. each morning. Smile

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/12/10 5:29pm
Msg #331405

Okay..I lived!!

Was awake at 4am but I lived....I think...Smile

We were told today that we'll get our area assignments on Thursday when we finish the training - and they'll probably want us to work Friday....and Saturday....and Sunday....

I'll be dead by then...Smile They want to get a count of all the university people before school breaks

Reply by MistarellaFL on 4/12/10 5:55pm
Msg #331411

Re: Okay..I lived!! Me too, but I am bushed

I still have to see a client tonight at 11:30 and be back there at 8:30 am.
I get to be a crew leader and don't start training my crew for 2 weeks, but I'll be doing some additional training til then. Just this week is going to be crazy, for me, so far as I can tell.
Lots of boring information to sit though this week. BTW, my class consists of 10 men, one of them around my age, and the others (instructor included) are all over 65 plus me.
2 no-shows. Both men.
And hey, Linda, how'd your fingerprinting go? LOL
Gotta know.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/13/10 5:04am
Msg #331463

Re: Okay..I lived!! Me too, but I am bushed

LOL...she'd never fingerprinted anyone before other than the one time in her training class - we were her first - pretty messy on the first one guy she printed...then she took an older lady in my class - lady had a hard time following instructions...mine seemed to go quicker so one of us got the hang of it!!

We have a mix of age and gender in my class...there are two much older than I who can't seem to get the paperwork straight - I can't imagine how they're going to be in the field. Two younger guys (I put them early 20's) who arrived late for the class then when we resumed after lunch they came back half an hour late...

I'm not crazy traveling 45 miles one way for class - good thing they pay door to door...Smile

Another day another class!!

Reply by ikando on 4/12/10 6:09pm
Msg #331414

I signed up and took the test in January 2009 to work the census in the area. Only contact has been to see if I'm still interested. How long before you were contacted?

Reply by MistarellaFL on 4/12/10 6:45pm
Msg #331423

I took the test Feb 2009

Got the are you still interested call a couple months ago, and then the hiring call a month ago, followed by a call every week-10 days to see if I was still going to attend/accept.

Reply by Yowheelz on 4/12/10 7:13pm
Msg #331432

Took Test 3/09 was hired 12/09

I'm on my second position now and now I am teaching Crew Leaders all this week. In this area they are still testing and hiring. Last I heard they still need 100 enumerators to go door to door.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.