Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
If you could change your state's notary laws...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Robert/FL on 4/23/10 10:46am
Msg #333000

what changes would you make?

Reply by LisaWI on 4/23/10 10:53am
Msg #333001

Where do I start? LOL
Fees
Notary Seals needs to be addressed as in when you get one and the process to get one
More precise on ID requirements

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/23/10 11:03am
Msg #333003

I'd like to see complete reorganization of our state's

statutes... divide it into sections with a separate section for each notarial act, defining it and giving requirements for certificates, etc.

With regards to seals, I think we should have the option to stamp *OR* type our name, title, commission # and exp. date under our signature, like they have in N.Y., with the option to use an embossing seal. Right now we have to "print, type or stamp our commissioned name" under our signature, in addition to the stamp seal. I don't see the point in typing our name and then stamping it right underneath.

I'd also like mandatory journals, and stricter education requirements with mandatory exam (with passing score of 85% or higher).

Reply by Grammyzoom on 4/23/10 11:13am
Msg #333004

Fees! AZ only allows $2 per n/m

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 4/23/10 11:54am
Msg #333013

Re: Fees! AZ only allows $2 per

Ditto here for Maryland $2.00 for first acknowledgement then $1.00 for thereafter for same occasion.

Reply by dickb/wi on 4/23/10 1:02pm
Msg #333043

wi allows .50 cents per doc....... n/m

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/23/10 5:10pm
Msg #333126

50 cents? hmmm

would that buy a Krystal???

Reply by dickb/wi on 4/23/10 1:06pm
Msg #333044

here's a link robert...hope it works and no i am.....

not a fan of NNA but came across this article............

http://www.nationalnotary.org/bulletin/newsnotary.cfm?newsid=2524&WT.mc_id=1479&referID=A40974

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/23/10 11:58am
Msg #333016

1. Require that the time between completion of the mandated notary education course and the exam be at least a period of 14 days, if not longer. Right now, a lot of companies that hold the live seminars have the exam right afterward, and there is little to zero retention of the material once the person actually receives their commission. Also, too many of these vendors focus on "how to pass the exam" rather than "how to be a notary". Not cool, IMO.

2. Increase the passing score on the notary exam from 70% to at least 80-85% -- the questions are not all that difficult and too idiots manage to pass the exam just by guessing.

3. Given the hassle involved in (for CA) in obtaining our commissions, and to help alleviate pressure on the SOS's office because of budget issues, I'd support an increase in our term from 4 to 6 years.

4. Require random journal audits or "secret shopper" type visits.

5. I would allow notaries' home addresses to be tagged as private information, rather than public, as they are now. Many counties provide protection for elected and law law enforcement officials and other public officials... but not notaries. Our home addresses are considered public information. We should have the option if we want.

6. ID cards/badges of some kind --- they already require us to submit a passport photo when we apply for our commissions. Why not require 2 and create an ID card for us? Or, at the very least, allow the counties to issue ID cards for us. I often get asked for "proof" that I'm a notary... and while I always have a copy of my commission with me, I'd rather have a photo ID that I could show people that doesn't have my personal information on it like my drivers license does.

I could go on, I'm sure.... Smile

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/23/10 12:06pm
Msg #333017

Actually... I will go on. Three more.... but I could list more!

7) Get rid of the ridiculous new ID requirement about State/County/City employee ID cards. They are too easy to forge and there is often no way to verify their accuracy.

8) Increase the per signature fee maximum to at least $15.00.

9) Change the wording in our handbook to specifically address mobile notaries/independent notaries and distinguish allowable signatures fees from administrative and business expenses (travel fees, etc.) The general public often complains about mobile notaries who charge a travel fee, insisting we're only allowed to charge $10 a pop. It would be nice if the SOS addressed this so that we could back it up to the general public.

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/23/10 12:07pm
Msg #333018

Love these ideas, Marian:

>>>4. Require random journal audits or "secret shopper" type visits.<<<

AGREE 100%!!!!! This would encourage notaries to always be on their "best behavior", i.e. be scrupulous about checking IDs, administering oaths, etc.

>>>5. I would allow notaries' home addresses to be tagged as private information.<<<

ANOTHER AGREE 100%!!! If the mayor/governor/police officers' home addresses are private, so should ours. We ARE state officers after all.

>>>6. ID cards/badges of some kind <<<

This was discussed before ... any other type of commission issued by the Florida governor comes with a wallet-sized ID card. I don't see why notaries can't be afforded the same luxury.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/23/10 12:08pm
Msg #333019

Should also ban lying notaries, Robert for example. In a previous post he says in response to this one below..

>>>My profile is for potential clients to see for the purpose of hiring me for the job, it is not relevant to those who read the forum for information and feedback<<<

Robert's reply.....................

Agreed 100%. My qualifications are not really anybody's business who posts on this forum. Potential clients can search the "Find a Notary" feature and find me.

But when I put in his address....his name does not come up. with a75 mile area of Tampa or either one of his two addresses.

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/23/10 12:16pm
Msg #333021

Oh yes, James, you are right.

I made up the whole "Robert" identity.

(rolls eyes)

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/23/10 12:18pm
Msg #333023

Re: Oh yes, James, you are right.

Please provide me the the instruction on how to find you using the "find a notary tab" and if you come up, I will most certainly apologize. I couldn't find you.

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/23/10 12:31pm
Msg #333029

I will not give you exact instructions as to how to locate me under "Find a Notary" because that will lead people straight to my profile, which is nobody's business but my own, and I don't see why it is so relevant to you to know where I live.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/23/10 12:36pm
Msg #333030

I don't care about your location, I just think we should be truthful, that what you said in your post. Find a notary tab to get you.....

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/23/10 12:39pm
Msg #333031

Sorry - just realized that I am not searchable

Which I think is all for the best, because it prevents people like you from bringing my outside business into this forum.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/23/10 12:43pm
Msg #333032

Re: Sorry - outside business is lying! n/m

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/23/10 12:45pm
Msg #333033

I've never lied about anything, I just don't want the people

on this forum to be looking me up. I think it is unnecessary, irrelevant, and stalker-ish behavior and I don't understand why so many people on this board are out to get me and trying to bring my personal life into a public message board.

Reply by Cari on 4/23/10 12:48pm
Msg #333036

no one is out to get you Robert...ur paranoid...

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/23/10 12:50pm
Msg #333038

Really? I'm paranoid?

Let's see... Sylvia has already conveniently called the governor's office to inquire about an organization I'm part of. James is in some effort to locate my profile for reasons unknown, and has tried both of my "two addresses". I don't go around looking up other peoples home addresses and have no desire to. I think it is sick that anyone on this board is doing background information on me to find my home address or look at my profile. I have nothing to hide. The only thing I have ever represented myself to be on this board is a Notary Public. If you want to verify my commission call up the state. Anything other than that I do not have to prove and have no desire to prove.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/23/10 12:48pm
Msg #333037

Re: Is this your recent post?

Please read YOUR post Robert

"Agreed 100%. My qualifications are not really anybody's business who posts on this forum. Potential clients can search the "Find a Notary" feature and find me."

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/23/10 12:50pm
Msg #333039

I forgot that my profile was no longer searchable n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/23/10 12:57pm
Msg #333040

Re: You gave your answer and I don't have to apologize..

At least you answered. Enough said. I had no intention of embarrassing any one. The internet puts us all at risk, just keep living and you'll learn.

Reply by Carolyn Bodley on 4/23/10 4:00pm
Msg #333109

Re: I couldn't agree more

I agree 1,000%. I no longer do signings, so check the board infrequently. Funny how nothing much changes. Five or six years ago when I was a regular, it was kind of a status thing to have your name linked in blue -- but it was a bigger thing to have the yellow premier box, because there wasn't that many people that posted. Today there is always a post advising someone to link their name with a variety number of reasons for doing so. Someone being nosey and snoopy are the biggest reasons for asking a profile be linked, imo.

For no more than I am here, it appears that you have brought a lot of fresh thinking to the board. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, that freshness has put a bulls-eye directly in the middle of your chest. It would be simple enough to ignore your posts, but there will always be the first to attack -- the "do as I say and not as I do" people that will tattle or report you to whoever or whatever organization they feel will do you the most harm, and then the attacks from the followers.

Just remember, you're doing something right to cause all this uproar, disturbance and attention!

Reply by Cari on 4/23/10 12:57pm
Msg #333041

your obviously under an alias..fine....can we move on now? n/m

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/23/10 12:58pm
Msg #333042

Right... again, I made up the whole Robert thing...

People, get lives.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/23/10 4:10pm
Msg #333115

James
only so many names will come up in the search - and premier members have priority over basic members, which is as it should be.
Robert's name doesn't come up when I just checked (to verify your message that you couldn't find him), either searching under this membership or my business membership.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/23/10 4:20pm
Msg #333118

thank you, I really wanted to be correct on this one because of it's sensitivity. Thanks for verifying my results

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/23/10 12:16pm
Msg #333022

and the fact you are looking up my address is scary n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/23/10 12:19pm
Msg #333024

Re: and the fact you are looking up my address is scary

It's on the internet, that's scary!

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/23/10 12:22pm
Msg #333025

Message Deleted

This message has been deleted by a forum moderator.

Reason: Generally Inappropriate

Reply by Cari on 4/23/10 12:31pm
Msg #333028

WOW is all I have to say...dude you've been OUTED! n/m

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/23/10 3:17pm
Msg #333081

Good ideas Marion. I would also like to see journal requirements for Florida and the age for commissions raised to 21.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/23/10 4:07pm
Msg #333111

I like the age idea, too. n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/23/10 4:10pm
Msg #333114

I also agree, for every state.

Reply by Philip Johnson on 4/23/10 12:28pm
Msg #333026

Get rid of those pesky ID requirements.

Smile

Reply by A S Johnson on 4/23/10 1:25pm
Msg #333045

Robert,
You come off as if you are a plant to put forward the xyz agenda.

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/23/10 1:26pm
Msg #333046

I'm not a member of NNA and never have been n/m

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/23/10 1:28pm
Msg #333047

However, I do think that some parts

of their Model Notary Act are decent. But I do not support the NNA's business practices and do not find them to be the 'advocate for notaries' which they claim to be.

Reply by A S Johnson on 4/23/10 1:30pm
Msg #333048

Re: However, I do think that some parts

My Granpappy all said the bit dog hollows the loudest

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/23/10 1:31pm
Msg #333049

And your point is?... n/m

Reply by Riley/FL on 4/23/10 2:06pm
Msg #333056

Re: And your point is?...

Did I not recently read a post stating that when profiles are required to be shown, the forums are more professional? What I'm reading here is totally unprofessional and harassing! I'm sure Robert was only trying to start a conversation, not provoke anyone although some here don't need provoking. Please be civil, after all we are all supposed to be professionals.

Reply by Cari on 4/23/10 2:24pm
Msg #333062

when and where did you read that? n/m

Reply by Riley/FL on 4/23/10 2:27pm
Msg #333064

Re: when and where did you read that?

Sorry, "civil and business like" were the actual words used. msg 332992.

Reply by Carolyn Bodley on 4/23/10 5:59pm
Msg #333133

Re: Linking a profile has absolutely nothing do with with

Notary Rotary coming across as being "civil and business like." It is not a requirement in order to post. A poster can be contacted without the necessity of linking a profile.

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/23/10 2:48pm
Msg #333069

And for the record...

Notarysigner/CA was the one who redirected this thread into a personal attack on me.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/23/10 2:52pm
Msg #333071

Re: please read the entire post and decide for yourselves..

I like the saying from grandpa, "a bit dog ...... loudest"..LOL

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/23/10 3:22pm
Msg #333088

What's to decide?

You said "Should also ban lying notaries, Robert for example." Msg #333019

This was not a positive contribution to the topic and was a personal attack.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/23/10 3:26pm
Msg #333089

Re: What's to decide?

Let go Robert....is this statement correct?? yes or no.

Agreed 100%. My qualifications are not really anybody's business who posts on this forum. Potential clients can search the "Find a Notary" feature and find me.

But when I put in his address....his name does not come up. with a75 mile area of Tampa or either one of his two addresses.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/23/10 3:39pm
Msg #333096

Re: We should not believe our lying eyes....right? n/m

Reply by Julie/MI on 4/23/10 2:51pm
Msg #333070

1 minor thing

...get rid of the "acting in" if you are outside your home county.

The venue reflects the "acting in" but I doubt any of the law makers really get what a venue is.

I love that the laws are simplistic.....Smile

Reply by RJE/MI on 4/23/10 3:05pm
Msg #333073

Journal Requirement n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.