Notary Rotary
Is anyone having issues with fas
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by RJE/MI on 4/19/10 11:07am
Msg #332320

I don't do a lot for them anymore since they lowered their fees but when they are in a pinch and are willing to meet my fee I accept signings from them.

They have always been great with me in honoring their contract. On rare occasions if I get a check that is shorted I make a call and they make good on it immediately.

I accepted a signing from them a couple weeks ago to get a mortgage signed. I offered my fee and they offered more because they said I would have to print the mortgage. Good for me, I'm happy.

I got a call 2 days later and was asked if I would go back out and get a QCD signed. When I asked what they would pay me for it I was told your regular fee of $XXX.xx because you will be printing it. It was double what they offered for the mortgage. I took it and received the confirmation showing the agreed upon fee.

When I received the check I was shorted $25. When I emailed them I attached the 2 confirmations and the copy of the check they sent me and told them they could see that they owed me an additional $25.00.

I got an immediate email back from Cindy that said "This was a one document closing
The additional was for $25 edocs However, the doc was with the borrower
Thank you. "

I did indeed print it and showed Cindy proof of that. I also told her I could see where she may have been mistaken that I did not print it because the deed needed to be signed by 2 different people in 2 different places. I thought maybe she thought the deed was signed by the other party first and then sent on to my signers for the second signature but that it indeed originated with me and my signer was first and then sent on to the other signer.

I even tried to be polite and professional and explained to Cindy that I enjoyed our business relationship and if this $25 was going to end it I would go ahead and forget about the $25 shortage.

Instead of a thank you I got a whole different answer. "A single page signing is $35
The scheduler overlooked this and paid you $75 which we approved instead of removing the signing from your schedule
We are unable to pay $25 for printing 1 page
Thanks."

I'm not the type to harp on things but I was a little miffed by her unprofessionalism so I told her
"Cindy,
I don’t mean to keep harping on this. I have enjoyed a great working relationship with First American. If this is going to end our relationship I will let it go but I must reiterate the fact that I DID NOT ask for $XXX.00 but was offered $xxx.00 which means that maybe your employee made a mistake which can happen. I don’t feel like your employees misunderstanding of what you pay for or what you do not should be to my detriment. I have the 2 confirmations with the agreed upon fees that are on them but am willing to forego the $25.00 in order to maintain our relationship."

I'm not mad about not getting paid enough but about them breaking their promise by not abiding by the confirmation and insinuating that I was unprofessional and if I didn’t drop this they would drop me. Grrrrr.

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/19/10 11:27am
Msg #332322

Short answer: Ridiculous...they are sad and ridiculous.

Reply by RJE/MI on 4/19/10 12:22pm
Msg #332325

I know Brenda it's just so discouraging. Frown

Reply by Roger_OH on 4/19/10 12:26pm
Msg #332327

If you want to continue working with them...

don't press it, or even bring it up again. They will drop you like a hot potato. I worked for them for 10 years and when I questioned something, was unceremoniously removed without a word, or any subsequent discussion. Loyalty is not their long suit.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 4/19/10 12:36pm
Msg #332329

Re: If you want to continue working with them...

They have dropped me like a hot potatoe several times. I get aggravated and they do also. They don't call for weeks or months then all of a sudden they start calling again. I take them if everything is met. I pretty much ignore their "reminder" emails and update it when I confirm with the borrower on my terms. I can't stand their " recorded and do I wish to continue" statements they have to say first. I do things on my terms with them and they still call.

Reply by RJE/MI on 4/19/10 12:41pm
Msg #332330

I know and thanks. I think I'm just having a "poor me" day. The only signing I have on the books this week is another fass and it's over an hour away. No contact number and when I emailed Cindy and reported it on the fass notary website I get no response so I guess I actually have no signings on the books this week. I know, that's the business so I just need to get over it.

Hope everyone else is signing away!

Reply by Linda Juenger on 4/19/10 1:43pm
Msg #332332

I wish you lived closer to me. I would give you one of my

Fass. I have one with them Tu night that I am not looking forward too. I signed this particular borrower in Nov and he is refi ing again. I guess I had this sign on my forehead that said I would listen to his problems. I was there a lot longer than I should have been but just couldn't leave. I'm sure it will be the same tomorrow night. He requested me and that was nice, but..... at least I am working. I actually have 5 on the books for this week. I've had a fairly decent month.

Reply by dickb/wi on 4/19/10 7:10pm
Msg #332393

welcome to the club roger.......go badgers...... n/m

Reply by Roger_OH on 4/19/10 9:22pm
Msg #332430

Will again be up your way for OSU-UW, Dick... n/m

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/20/10 2:34am
Msg #332454

I'm no defender of FASS, but regardless of the company, if I was getting a decent fee for the trip, I wouldn't have given the lack of a print fee a second thought if it was only one page (or 3 or 4). If the fee was different from agreed upon - and again, assuming that it was decent without the print fee - I'd probably assume they had made a mistake and forgotten about it.

Reply by CaliNotary on 4/19/10 1:49pm
Msg #332333

I don't think I would have the nerve to call and try to get $25 for printing a single page document, no matter what they promised me. If you were already getting twice as much as you got for the last one, you had to know it was a mistake on their end. This just makes you look greedy and exploitative and the "sacrifice" you were willing to make to maintain the relationship is really pretty ridiculous.

It IS unprofessional to try to exploit somebody's mistake, even if it's a crappy company like FASS.

Reply by RJE/MI on 4/19/10 3:16pm
Msg #332350

Whats up with you Cali?

I am none of those things and I was not exploiting them. I did NOT know they were making a mistake. First American has a brick and mortar within 25 miles from me and when they need a last minute deal taken care of the local office calls me and usually offers me more than if the Indian calling service calls me.

I don't appreciate your assumptions at all. I do this because I love it and I have always known I would not get rich doing it.

The thing that makes me mad about your comment is the same thing that made me mad about Cindys comment. Some SS and TC (not all) treat us as if we are the snakes and trying to bleed them dry which is ridiculous.

Thanks Linda, I would have taken your fass for you if I lived closer. Smile

Reply by CaliNotary on 4/19/10 3:25pm
Msg #332352

How could you not know?

You did a single doc signing for them 2 days earlier, then they called you for another one but this time offered to pay you the fee as if it were a full signing (at least that's the impression I gather from your original post), which was double what you got for doing the same thing a couple of days earlier. That really didn't seem odd to you? Please.

Reply by RJE/MI on 4/19/10 3:30pm
Msg #332356

I took the time to do a search of some of your other posts

Cali and now that I see that this just your personality I'm not going to worry about you.

Reply by CaliNotary on 4/19/10 4:23pm
Msg #332369

You can chalk it up to whatever you want

but the bottom line is that it is ridiculous to expect to be paid $25 for printing a grant deed.

I don't even care that you took advantage of FASS's mistake, as far as I'm concerned the crappy way they treat their notaries makes them deserve whatever they get. But jeez, at least own it and don't play dumb and pretend you had no idea how their fee schedule works.

Reply by Virginia/PA on 4/19/10 3:26pm
Msg #332354

Did they write you up and say you got your white glove dirty?

Reply by RJE/MI on 4/19/10 3:31pm
Msg #332357

LOL Not yet Virginia n/m

Reply by cawest/PA on 4/19/10 5:38pm
Msg #332380

I think that they all seem to try to lower their rates ... real soon we will be offered to mail them a check for services rendered!
I have had no problems so far with FAAS (knock on wood)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.