Notary Rotary
Local notary asked the borrower to pre-date
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by snoopdogMs on 4/27/10 3:22pm
Msg #333775

I had a closing last evening and the borrowers was livid that the previous notary called them on Sat.and asked if they would sign on Sat. evening and put Mondays date on the documents. He told them he had overbooked for Monday evening which was the designated time. Sounds like she scoulded him severly, called her LO and told them if that's the kind of riffraff that the title company sends out, that they could forget the whole thing. The well known title company has rightfully removed him from their list. He needs his commission yanked.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 4/27/10 3:23pm
Msg #333776

WOW! n/m

Reply by Yoli/CA on 4/27/10 3:25pm
Msg #333777

And WOW again. At the very least, other notary

should be reported to SOS.

Reply by snoopdogMs on 4/27/10 3:27pm
Msg #333778

I did call the SOS and she told me that any

accusations were considered heresay unless taken to court.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/27/10 3:32pm
Msg #333779

Re: I did call the SOS and she told me that any

was this Ca?

Reply by snoopdogMs on 4/27/10 3:34pm
Msg #333781

Mississippi! n/m

Reply by Yoli/CA on 4/27/10 4:04pm
Msg #333792

So, does this mean DA has get involved? n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/27/10 4:30pm
Msg #333810

Probably means no complaint will be entertained unless

it comes directly from the party involved - in this case the borrower. And a complaint to the SOS would probably be sufficient to have it referred to the DA for possible prosecution.

JMO

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/27/10 4:45pm
Msg #333817

It didn't happen, though...so it won't be considered

a crime. Too bad.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/27/10 4:46pm
Msg #333819

IMO the fact that the notary even asked them to do that

should be grounds for some sort of sanction....BUT...it has to come from them.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/27/10 4:51pm
Msg #333820

Re: IMO the fact that the notary even asked them to do that

I love that in CA, the mere act of asking a notary to do something illegal is actually illegal... I suppose that would logically mean that a notary asking or attempting themselves to do something illegal would also count. Seems that should be how it is across the country.

I agree... this notary's commission should be pulled. There's no excuse for that - none.

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/27/10 5:21pm
Msg #333839

But will the SoS act on it?

I'm trying to keep up with the SoS office which actually do the right thing. PA is one of them, as best as I can tell.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/27/10 5:37pm
Msg #333849

Re: But will the SoS act on it?

That's hard to say... right now? In CA.... only if there is clear, tangible proof. They don't have much in the way of resources right now, so I'm sure they won't actually pursue anything unless they feel it's worth it. However, I do know that they log all complaints, and if a particular entity receives enough complaints, the SOS will take notice.

But since it's taking 5-6 months for them just to issue commissions right now? Follow-ing up on anything but the most serious and documented cases will fly.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.