Notary Rotary
MSG #331584. CA SOS Says No
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Lita on 4/15/10 2:13pm
Msg #331872

"MSG 331584: If a document is asking for both a jurat and acknowledgment does the client have to pick one or the other or can they have both for the ONE document? I thought they could only have one type per one document" SS Says SOS told them okay for w/one doc.

There were mixed reviews to my question yesterday. I also asked the CA SOS this question and got an answer this morning, they said No. You must use one certificate per document. So now I need to go back to the Signing Co and let them know and ask how they want to handle furture ones. Any suggestions? If you think it is ok can you point me to it in the CA SOS handbook? I'm also asking the SOS to do this so I have something to show the SS

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 4/15/10 2:24pm
Msg #331875

The problem with any SOS is that you can ask a question of

5 different people and get at least 5 different answers.

Reply by rengel/CA on 4/15/10 3:09pm
Msg #331884

Re: The problem with any SOS is that you can ask a question of

That must be an Arizona things Shoshana, in CA when we ask 5 different people we get 7 different answers! Wink

Reply by John/CT on 4/15/10 4:04pm
Msg #331889

You both are lucky to get ANY answer ...

too often my e-mailed inquiries to the Secretary of the State's office goes unanswered. Frown

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 4/15/10 6:15pm
Msg #331918

I was trying to be nice!

I was a CA notary for a while.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/15/10 2:27pm
Msg #331876

That surprises me. Yes, please do let us know if you get something in writing from them (and share the content, if you can), because I'm not aware of anything in the handbook that addresses this. As I think PAW said in the other thread, they each do something different. I wonder if you asked someone else in the SOS office if you'd get the same answer...

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 4/15/10 4:59pm
Msg #331901

I bet it could rest with .....

the County Recorder. I recently had an Affidavit - Death of Joint Tenant with a preprinted CA ack. The TC called me a week later and said the Sacramento County Recorder wanted a jurat. (I guess because people lie about this sort of stuff). Anyway, neither of us had ever heard of such a thing. Did they want a jurat because it was an affidavit? Did they want a jurat in addition to the ack? Who knows. In any case, the TC sent me the same affidavit. I went back to the borrower, filled out the ack part again and used my jurat stamp right next to it, stamped my seal twice - once for the ack and once for the jurat - all on the same single piece of paper - and I guess that worked ...

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 4/15/10 6:21pm
Msg #331919

Last night I had an Aff of Property Value.

It came with a disclaimer deed for wife to sign. TC said hubby should sign as buyer and seller and I was to notarize both sigs. Who knows if that will fly?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.