Notary Rotary
Notary Signing
Notary Discussion History

Notary Signing
Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by MCBTX on 4/21/10 4:59pm
Msg #332774

Notary Signing

I need to officiate over a Will signing tomorrow in Texas. What is the going rate?
Thanks.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/21/10 5:07pm
Msg #332776

Whatever your state notary fees are. (and travel if you have to travel)

Reply by A S Johnson on 4/21/10 5:24pm
Msg #332783

You are going to "officiate at a Will signing". Are going to witness the signing of all and notarize it?
1st, who drew up this "will"?
2nd, you understand thier must be two witness that shoud know the person making the will and will be able to be found in the forseeable future should they be needed and can not have any interest in the will.
I do NOT do wills unless they are drawn up by a Texas Att'y.
Many notaries in Texas are like I am, they don't do wills unless a Tx Att'y has produced the doc as Texas requires some very specific items/words and the aat'y take care of getting the sigs.
My policy came from sitting in the hall of the court house for 2+ day waiting to be called to testify in a dispute within the family over the will. That amount of time was worth more then the $6 for the notary.

Reply by MCBTX on 4/21/10 5:57pm
Msg #332795

The person who sent the email stated he was an attorney. I have checked Lawyer.com, but his name is not there. He stated he wanted me to "officiate at a Will signing". I haven't responded to him yet, because I am not getting good vibes for this. I am also thinking about passing on this.

I did see the $6 fee; that's why I decided to ask before I jump in and make a big mistake.

Yes, I understand that there needs to be two witnesses available.

Reply by ikando on 4/21/10 6:15pm
Msg #332799

I'm in Oklahoma and I work a lot with attorneys to notarize wills and other docs in estate planning.

Because I often spend a lot of time waiting for everyone to gather, ID the principals and the witnesses, and wait for all the preliminary discussion by the attorney with those who will be signing, I have a flat rate that I've calculated to cover my time, travel and allowed signature rate. Everyone is happy. The attorney includes my fee with his when he bills his client.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/21/10 6:28pm
Msg #332801

Check with the state bar - if they have an online website where you can check members.

(or google the name)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.