Notary Rotary
OT/For all appraisers, RE Agents or even "just" a Notary
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by RickinVA on 4/5/10 10:11am
Msg #330362

For all appraisers, RE Agents or even "just" a Notary, I'd like to hear from you. I am thinking about paying for a MIL (mother-in-law) suite at my son's house. I called the building department in the county and determined that it wouldn't work, due to the configuration of the house, so building official suggested splitting off a lot and building a house. If I should attempt to do that, I would like to know how that might affect his ability to sell down the road, assuming that he sells after the time mandated by law for the house to be occupied by the MIL. (5 years). Would a separate house on a 1 acre house in a sub-division of generally 5 acres be a problem to sell or would it just be worth slightly less due to lot size. Would a house on 4 acres in a area of 5 acres be harder to sell?

According to the official, an addition, less than 1000 Sq Ft, could be built and, as long as it was attached, even by a breezeway, it would qualify as a MIL suite, but that might be difficult as this is a 'Split Foyer' house, and the it would be strange looking because the house would be on a different level than the addition. It also may be a difficult sell because the house already has 5 BRs & 3 BAs.

Comments welcome and encouraged. Posted here as comments of Notaries are requested, but I'll move it if asked.

Rick

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/5/10 10:29am
Msg #330364

We have regulations down here (we're 5-acre zoning too) - one residential unit per 5-acre parcel - BUT we're allowed to put a second dwelling, like a mobil home, on our property for one year with a one or two year extension allowed - however, that second dwelling MUST be occupied by a family member (parent, child, etc)

Sounds like he's going to need to go for a zoning variance as he's separating out one acre in a five-acre zoning area - that may have to go to a public hearing for approval/acceptance by neighbors. He'll be basically rendering both lots non-conforming lots - unless when he decides to sell later on down the road he combines both lots again before he lists them.

Also, is there a Homeowners' Association involved in the subdivision? There may be some regulations prohibiting this use.

Just my quick thoughts off the top of my head.

Reply by Cari on 4/5/10 10:45am
Msg #330365

....nice...."just" a notary...oh I love how we are sooo

respected...

Reply by Lee/AR on 4/5/10 11:16am
Msg #330369

My best suggestion would be to check with 3 local r.e. brokers. Different areas react differently and what might be acceptable (sales-wise) in one area may not be in another.
Personally, I'd go for the '1 acre & separate home' because you already have a large home (5 Br, 3 bath) and by attaching yet another, you'd have a really big white elephant. Just my 26 yrs. r.e. experience talking here.

Reply by Cari on 4/5/10 12:13pm
Msg #330377

build it and connect it with the breezeway as suggested....

if he had to sell later down the road, the addition could be used as 'guest house' or add a pool to it and it could be a pool house....but as suggested, ask the local real estate agents/brokers about the area and to check out any local comps with similar structures....

Reply by Deborah Lewellen on 4/5/10 12:50pm
Msg #330389

Re: build it and connect it with the breezeway as suggested....

Some friend of ours here in TN built a MIL suite addition to their house on 7 acres, space was limited to the build because it was in a mountainous & resort type area, they hired an architech to design, it was awesome what they did, this house was a ranch with a basement
under it that stuck out partially above ground,
approx. 2000 sq. ft. 3 bed/2 bath house with a porch/deck that ran across the front of it,
they connected the roof line by a large roof covered porch/deck approx. 300-400 sq. ft. to the MIL 1bed. 1bath suite picked up on the other side of the deck area and it was elegantly done.
underneath the MIL suite they did a 2 car. garage so it was a 2 story unit, there were alot of steps to get to the MIL suite, not a good idea in my opinion, however that could be remedied with a ramp system with a better design.
This cost $100,000 to build. After the MIL lived there for a number of yrs. she died and the DIL has this very nice guest suite. It looks fine on the house, probably put the house into the $350,000 range if they could get that for it in this economy, yet they do live in a high resort and desirable and gorgeous area, I don't think they'd have any issues selling it.

Reply by MW/VA on 4/5/10 2:46pm
Msg #330414

Hi, Rick. I wouldn't know what your county allows. There are a lot of in-law suites attached to houses here in Va. Beach. I did a signing for a couple that had added a large in-law suite to their house. As someone suggested, I think I'd contact some savvy real estate brokers.

Reply by Maureen_nh on 4/5/10 8:57pm
Msg #330458

There was talk awhile ago about some areas allowing temporary homes on a lot. This is something that has caught on in parts of Europe as a solution to elderly housing.

The homes can be put up or moved onto a lot and then removed when the occupant becomes deceased or unable to live independantly. I thought it a wonderful idea.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.