Notary Rotary
Office Live website question
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by CopperheadVA on 4/11/10 1:59pm
Msg #331233

I have a personal notary website with a custom domain name through Office Live, and I have paid to renew that one as they no longer offer free custom domains.

I also have another unrelated website that I don't want to pay for a custom domain - the free domain where they offer .web.officelive.com tacked on to the end of the web name is fine for my purposes for this other website.

Here's my question to those of you who already have a free Office Live website - if I allow my custom domain name to expire and Office Live renames my website to the free version with the web.officelive.com at the end, do I sign in to edit my website at the Office Live site or would it be at the Melbourne IT site? (Melbourne is the registrar for the free domain.) I've read all the FAQ's on the Office Live website and I can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance!

Reply by MW/VA on 4/11/10 6:04pm
Msg #331265

I'm in the process of transferring my domain name from Yahoo Small Business to Intuit Websites.
I had to go through several steps w/Yahoo to get an authorization code for the transfer.
Melbourne IT was the Registrar, but the webhost is the holder of the domain name. You might check with PAW--I think he probably knows a lot about websites & hosting.

Reply by Tess on 4/12/10 11:17am
Msg #331327

Don’t know about Office live, but normally, your website files are on the Host’s server, so that is where you edit them.

Reply by jojo_MN on 4/12/10 12:47pm
Msg #331342

You will need to access it thru the Office Live website.

Also, if I were you, I would renew your domain name as soon as possible, because once it is given back to Melbourne IT, the name is up for grabs for anyone that pays for it. If it already expired, you will need to open a new Office Live account, then go to domain manager and click on "purchase a domain". When you input your domain name, you will get a message stating if it is available for purchase. Once purchased, Melbourne will retain the domain, but you can take possession and direct it to your Office Live account.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining it quite right, but it took me two weeks of emails back and for with IT and lots of trial and error. There wasn't anyone that could give me a step-by-step directions, otherwise it would have only taken an hour or two.

This is from the Office Live FAQs:

domain name reseller

The entity that resells domain names from a registrar. For example, Office Live Small Business and Yahoo! are resellers who resell domain names provided by the registrar Melbourne IT. As an Office Live Small Business account owner, you may never interact with Melbourne IT unless a domain name issue arises (for example, removal of a custom domain name registered with Office Live Small Business).

If you have another domain, you can "point" it to your free office live site. I spent two weeks getting my website back up after I didn't renew my

Reply by CopperheadVA on 4/13/10 5:49am
Msg #331465

JoJo - THANKS! I did renew my own personal website early - I didn't want any problems. But this other website, I was going to just delete it but if it's free (even with the .web.officelive.com tacked onto the end) I don't mind maintaining it as it's got minimal info on it, and if it ever goes away then it's no big deal to me. Thanks again!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.