Notary Rotary
Paying a Signing Service to be listed.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Dave/CA on 4/30/10 2:21pm
Msg #334356

I thought maybe you guys could help me out a little. I was talking to another signing agent buddy in my area and he was saying he has seen a few services that actually charge the notary a small fee to be listed in their database. What do you guys think about this? Are there any that are worthwhile? It seems kind of strange, but if I knew from other people that you actually got business from these companies I would definitely sign on. Things have slowed down here through my normal company and I thought this might be a way to drum up a little more business here and there.

Good idea? Or waste of time/money?

Reply by Reverse Mortgage of America - Jessica on 4/30/10 2:24pm
Msg #334357

IMO it's a rip. there isn't a guarantee that they will use you or pay you if they do. you're better off looking in SC and signing up with the free SS with a good pay reputation. also consider alternative forms of marketing yourself.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/30/10 2:46pm
Msg #334360

Never pay a signing service to be listed.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/30/10 2:58pm
Msg #334361

Re: First hand experience

I was referred to a SS by a respected member of this forum. The SS called me and let me know I had been referred by blah, blah, blah and welcome aboard. They also gave me an assignment. But first, you have to register so we can pay you. Oh we need your credit card so we can bill you a yearly database maintenance fee. Now this is something I don't do but because I was r e f e r r e d I said what the hell. Make a long story shorter, borrower changed mind, didn't sign, I didn't get paid nor have I gotten any other assignments.

You can do what I did or my favorite saying, " believe your lying eyes." Smile

Reply by BossLadyMD on 4/30/10 3:18pm
Msg #334362

on the other hand...

I have paid two companies a nominal fee and have gotten the referrals as well as pay as promised. Before I signed out, I checked to make sure that they had the proper credentials to close in my state and have closed in my county on occasion. I can live with a fee under, say, $25. It works for me, may not work for you, JMHO.

Reply by BossLadyMD on 4/30/10 3:22pm
Msg #334364

and it forces you to keep up-to-date info

The argument has been made that often times folks sign up with numerous companies and its hard to find folks because the contact info grows stale. There is a belief that a small maintenance fee tends to be an incentive to be more accessible, updated, etc.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 4/30/10 4:05pm
Msg #334373

They smell blood in the water - they know that some NSAs are getting desperate to work, so they turn on the money vacuum and suck something out of your pocket with a "promise" that they will give you some work. You may never hear from them again.

Reply by taxpro on 4/30/10 8:44pm
Msg #334422

Sorry, but no way in h*** would I pay a signing service to give me signings. I try to only do signings for lenders and/or title companies, since most signing companies take a large cut out of the middle. I don't blame them for trying to make money, but I won't go along if they want to pay less than my regular fee. Not worth it. And I certainly won't pay them for sending me work, which is almost always at a much lower fee than I normally get. If someone can give me a logical reason for doing this, I'm all ears.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.