Notary Rotary
Printing Question
Notary Discussion History

Printing Question
Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by GWest on 4/17/10 10:18am
Msg #332123

Printing Question

Had a signing yesterday that I had to give back. I received an email with 2 attachments, 1 was fine and the other was scanned at 16.80" X 10.88". I spoke with the SS and they stated they had no problem printing them. They tried to work with me and we changed the settings on Adobe (print on letter, legal and uncheck choose paper source by PDF size) , but no matter what I did, the top was cut off and the bar code on the documents was cut off on the right side. It would have been nice if they just had the TC rescan, but that did not seem to be an option. I have 3 printers and 3 computers and I tried on everyone, but could not print them. This is the first time I have had to give a signing back due to printing problems. Usually if I have a printing problem, I can switch to the other and they print with no problem.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I was doing wrong? If I run into this situation again I want to be able to print these doc's.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/17/10 10:41am
Msg #332128

Without know a little bit more info (Doc format,printer type, etc) it would be hard to say you were doing anything incorrectly. I had this happen once and I gave up and told them to send them to Kinkos (they paid) and I'd pick them up there. My fee was reduced by the print fee, understandable and all when well. Later I found out I was suppose to use the printer driver from Docmaster (what a pain).

Reply by GWest on 4/17/10 11:17am
Msg #332137

This was a Adobe PDF file. It was the way the doc's were scanned was the problem, and even though it was early in the day, I believe the SS did not want to ask the TC to rescan the file. They seemed to think that I was the problem and if I was I was hoping I could learn what it was I was doing wrong.

I don't have the option to go to a Kinko's as I live in a rural area and there are no Kinko's around.

Reply by PAW on 4/17/10 11:14am
Msg #332136

Assuming you are using Adobe Reader 9.3.2 (latest version). On the printer play-out screen, be sure to check "Auto Rotate and Center" AND select "Shrink to printable area" in the "Page Scaling" drop-down menu.

FYI - The following is the description from Adobe for each of the "Page Scaling" options:

Page Scaling - Reduces, enlarges, or divides pages when printing.

* None - Prints the upper left or center of a page (if auto-rotated and centered) without scaling. Pages or selections that don’t fit on the paper are cropped.

* Fit To Printable Area - Reduces or enlarges each page to fit the printable area of the currently selected paper size. For PostScript® printers, the PPD determines the printable area of the paper.

* Shrink To Printable Area - Shrinks large pages to fit the currently selected paper size but doesn’t enlarge small pages. If an area is selected and is larger than the printable area of the currently selected paper, it’s scaled to fit the printable area. This option is always active during N-up printing.l

* Tile Large Pages - Applies tiling to pages that are larger than the selected paper size at the specified scale. These pages are mapped to multiple sheets of paper. If this option is selected, you can also specify settings for Tile Scale, Overlap, Cut Marks, and Labels.

* Tile All Pages - Applies tiling to all pages, regardless of size. However, only the pages that are larger than the selected paper size at the specified scale are mapped to multiple sheets of paper. If this option is selected, you can also specify settings for Tile Scale, Overlap, Cut Marks, and Labels.

* Multiple Pages Per Sheet - Enables N-up printing, where multiple pages print on the same sheet of paper. If this option is selected, you can also specify settings for Pages Per Sheet, Page Order, Print Page Border, and Auto-Rotate Pages.

Reply by GWest on 4/17/10 11:24am
Msg #332141

Yes, it was Adobe 9.3.2. I did have "Auto Rotate and Center" checked. I also tried to the shrink to printable area and fit to printable area, but that made the print on the documents too small as they were scanned at 16.80" X 10.88", not 8.5" X 14".

I am running to a couple of signings and I will look at the other page scaling you mention above and see if there is anything that would do the trick there.

Thanks for your help.

Reply by cadmonkey/CA on 4/17/10 2:37pm
Msg #332177

You didn't do anything wrong, the TC either printed the docs on legal size paper and scanned in the pages on a 11x17 scanner (tabloid size), or they used the "print to pdf" option and accidentally scaled the docs to the wrong paper size (11x17). If it was the first option, you would need to manually crop each page down in acrobat to legal size and then print (assuming there was a lot of white space around the actual document). If it was the second option, then there would be nothing you could do to print the document correctly.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/17/10 4:54pm
Msg #332200

I agree it was the fault of the scanning. I ran into a similar problem once, except that the paper size was in between letter and legal, not larger than legal. It completely confused my dual tray (fairly new to me at the time), which kept asking me if I wanted to change paper tray or something like that. I just sent it to a different printer that was not a dual tray and selected legal size. If the PDF doc was scanned for larger than legal, I'm not sure what the outcome would have been. (I might have been able to do the shrink to fit, though, on the single tray printer.)

I also wonder if it could have been because the tc had previously changed settings for a different task, but didn't change them back. Minor errors like that could happen to anyone. I think it's sad, though, that the ss didn't have the gumption to even ask the tc. Clearly, with the paper size stated in the PDF document, something was done wrong. It probably could have been solved easily.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.