Notary Rotary
Stewart Lender Services update on fees
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by laurielnc on 4/29/10 11:15am
Msg #334138

Received email alittle bit ago and the fee is to check my background. $10.00 if I had one done within the year and $30.00 if I haven't. What? Does my background check show up that it's been done within the year? So they charge me to recheck my background? Is this new? Anyone else having this done? I turned the signing down. I was also not informed before I took the signing. If they never call me again which is very likely, that would be the lowest fee I've ever taken on a signing almost 1/2 hour away. No way.

He said lenders are requiring they check us out. If I have background check from lexis nexis shouldn't that count? Like everyone said, just another way to get money from us. They even wanted my credit card to pay it. Then they could charge anything they want. No way!

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/29/10 11:37am
Msg #334140

Re: Just a question please....

Does you state require a BGC to obtain your notary commission?

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 4/29/10 11:39am
Msg #334141

I thought every state requires a BGC, no?

Reply by LKT/CA on 4/29/10 11:46am
Msg #334145

<<<I thought every state requires a BGC, no?>>>

No....some states only require that one is breathing and pays the application fee.

Reply by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 4/29/10 1:16pm
Msg #334162

LKT/CA ....LMAO... n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 4/29/10 1:38pm
Msg #334172

Re: LKT/CA ....LMAO...

Heeheehee!!! It's true.....a pulse and the application fee are all that's required for a commission in some states.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/29/10 1:47pm
Msg #334173

Re: LKT/CA ....LMAO...

I remember when I became a notary. I told my daughter and she lives in Georgia. She said
it's no big deal you just have to go to the courthouse and pay a couple of dollars! I let her know that it isn't that easy in Florida or other states.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 4/29/10 4:06pm
Msg #334203

Due to loose Illinois voting procedures, not even sure that

a pulse is, in fact, required. Ten bucks, and you are good to go for four years if you
state under oath that:

1. I am a U.S. citizen or an alien admitted for permanent residence.
2. I have been a resident of Illinois for at least 30 days.
3. I am age 18 or older.
4. I have never been convicted of a felony.
5. I am able to read and write the English language.
6. I have never had a notary public commission revoked.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 4/30/10 8:36am
Msg #334261

Yep Bob, pretty scary huh. n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/29/10 11:47am
Msg #334146

Not sure, that's why I asked. Seems to me they (SS) might be passing on a fee they have to pay just to verify BGC requested by the TC..That the only reason I could think of.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 4/29/10 3:52pm
Msg #334201

Maybe an extra stream of income for them?

No real cost in forwarding a copy of someones bgc. Looks like the company is just attempting to gain a little more immediate cash for a BS "review".

Reply by laurielnc on 4/29/10 1:56pm
Msg #334177

In NC they check your background out when you pass the class and before you take the oath. No price that is charge directly to me to do that.

Reply by Les_CO on 4/29/10 11:50am
Msg #334148

As a independent contractor anyone that purchases my services may accept the information I supply, ( Tax ID number, E&O insurance, BGC, etc.) or they can feel free to run whatever background/criminal check on me done by whomever they wish ‘at their expense,’ or they can hire someone else. Anything else is just BS.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/29/10 11:55am
Msg #334149

Couldn't agree more. It doesn't make sense to pay someone to get paid. Sound like a new method for" kickback" huh? Only you get kicked!

Reply by Janice Bennett on 4/29/10 12:36pm
Msg #334156

When I took the signing agent seminar 2 years ago to get certified, our instructor told us if signing companies ask us for money out-of-pocket to send us out on signings, then pass them by and don't work with them. I have followed that advice. A company I requested to work with by the name of Service Link, not only wanted my background check done, but they wanted me to do it myself and fax it to them. How dumb, anyone could just white things out. If they want a background check done, let them pay for it and do it themselves.

Reply by Coordinated Real Estate Services on 4/29/10 1:18pm
Msg #334164

I never heard of any company asking a notary for background check, must be something new or a scam...

Reply by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 4/29/10 1:15pm
Msg #334161

see and XYZ wants to charge for a new one yearly...goes to

show that they are just trying to suck all the little bit of money we do have...

...just doesn't make any sense, I mean why should we have to pay for yet another background check if we have had one done w/in the last 7 years??

Reply by laurielnc on 4/29/10 1:54pm
Msg #334176

Update on my update.....

A man (someone from their co. that collects only info because he didn't know my fee) called me after getting my email and told me that the fee was to pay for THEIR background check. Why one price was $10 and another was $30 I still didn't find that one out. He told me if I needed a hardcopy they would give me one. I told him that would be useless to me since most requests for background checks are from only some particular co's like nexis lexis. He then told me all the banks are requiring it. I asked him what banks do you work with? He didn't know. I told him that I close for all the different banks and they haven't required a background check yet. I think in 4 years only one has asked for one. I told him I was happy to send him my old one or do a new one but at a place that I can reuse at a later time. He didn't even know how much I was being paid so being charged $30 didn't mean much to him. He assured me I would get more work from them, but I wouldn't hold my breath. That's the latest and no I didn't take the signing. Sorry!

Reply by bagger on 4/29/10 2:15pm
Msg #334182

Voice of expereince here on Background checks.
The Government spent a LOT of money on me to get a background check done in the early 70's. I was told somewhere in th $10,000.00 neighborhood.

Now, if a background check in the 70's cost 10K, what does a $30 background check today mean?

It means they possibly checked your DL?
Hell, the process we go through to verify someone's identity probaly is more in depth than a $30 background check.
A $30 background check is worth NOTHING, it's just a scam someone is purpotrating. I will never kick in the $30 for a background check.

Reply by MW/VA on 4/29/10 2:58pm
Msg #334192

I'm not getting how this post differs from the other day. I have heard that if your BGC was done through LexisNexis, you can contact them & they will update it for free. It's worth a shot. If you remember the big campaign by XYZ for cert/bgc's, it was Stewart Title that was supposed to be one of the companies that required it.
I wouldn't pay anyone a fee of any kind to get work from them, especially in this market.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.