Notary Rotary
Taking charge part II
Notary Discussion History

Taking charge part II
Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Notarysigner on 4/21/10 4:15pm
Msg #332759

Taking charge part II

Okay How should I have taken control of this.

We confirmed signing for ten AM today. They asked my to arrive exactly at 10 AM, this I do. Once I’m there, all was well except I was told there might be a problem with their little girl, she is a hand full I was told. Stall, Stall, stall. Would you like coffee, no! Would you like tea? No. How about water, juice, cake breakfast, no!. Mr. says they must be kind to guest in our house and we’re just showing the respect for you as a human being and something we would expect if we visited your house. Yada, Yada Yada, ok..let’s go….

Bwr says Oooh, we are religious (middle East) and also follow Astrology. Because of the Solace and position of the planets, we cannot sign until 11AM. I mention that the package was 160 pages and would take awhile. They say, that’s o k because the document signing must be completed before noon! I politely said, would you like me to explain any of the Docs, they replied, you can if you want but we absolutely must be done by noon. I asked why, they said it is written in the stars! O. K.

Yes I finished.

Reply by Cari on 4/21/10 4:33pm
Msg #332764

HOLY COW!

Middle Eastern Religion - if Muslim?? and Astrology?? How is that even possible? I'd think that's the same as being Jewish and Catholic.

You did good my friend...must have been in your stars Wink

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/21/10 4:56pm
Msg #332772

Re: HOLY COW!

Hindu.....I don't mean to offend anyone, just haven't had that happen before and wanted to share.

Reply by Teresa/FL on 4/21/10 5:14pm
Msg #332779

I had a similar experience on a purchase closing

The borrowers were buying a new home. The closing location had to be moved from the TC office to the maternity ward of Florida Hospital because the wife was pregnant with twins and was confined to bed due to her condition being classified as a high risk pregnancy.

They were originally from India and explained that they wanted to sign at exactly 10:20 AM because that was the "most favorable" time for them to complete the transaction according to their religious beliefs. I was there 10 minutes early and we completed a quick review of the loan terms then they started signing. Everything was signed and sealed by 11 AM.

Reply by Cari on 4/21/10 6:57pm
Msg #332809

Actually, that makes sense to me. I performed a wedding

ceremony that had to happen on an approximate date and time.....I was told by the couple, that astrology as it relates to Hinduism is slightly different from our regular Sunday paper astrological report??

I'm not an expert on that, but this is what I was told by the couple.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 4/21/10 4:36pm
Msg #332765

We should all put our stories together and write a book, then we could forget closings.
We'll make millions.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 4/22/10 5:10pm
Msg #332917

Ilene, When can we get started! :) n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 4/21/10 5:46pm
Msg #332790

Yes, hospitality is big in middle eastern and eastern culture, though every home I enter (regardless of race/culture), I'm offered something (water, soda, cookies, etc.). To refuse a hosts hospitality *may* insult them. When offered, I usually choose water, it is the least damaging if it gets spilled, though many times I'll accept a bottle of water or soda "to go".

Last weekend's signing, occupants don't wear shoes indoors - I saw a bunch of shoes by the door - so I asked him if I should remove my shoes, he said "if you'd like". Their cream berber carpet was pristine. Though he said they don't actually require guests to remove their shoes, they seemed appreciative that I wanted to.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/21/10 6:41pm
Msg #332805

I wear my berks to signing because of 1/2 the homes I go in are shoe-free homes. It's alright except when I get to the marble floors, cold!

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/21/10 7:12pm
Msg #332812

Well since PAW didn't answer, laugh I just wanted to let you know there is really something to this. One of our peers explained what's up and with all sincerity I want to thank them for the knowledge which will help me to become a better notary and show more patience.

Reply by John Schenk on 4/21/10 7:42pm
Msg #332821

But why did they schedule that time if their stars, or whatever, weren't in line? Doesn't matter what their belief is, does it? If they believe they can't sign from 1:00 to 4:00 in the afternoon, then they gotta schedule to sign before 1:00 and after 4:00 to get it done, right?

Personally, I would not have sat there for an hour waiting for their stars to get lined up unless they were willing to pay for me to sit there on my ass as the world turns. Time is money, and I don't believe in people wasting mine, ESPECIALLY when the closing is in the day time and I can't even go out and look at the stars we're waiting to get lined up. LOL

JJ Big Smile

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/21/10 8:11pm
Msg #332830

Re: T C sets signing time on these n/m

Reply by John Schenk on 4/21/10 7:12pm
Msg #332813

LMAO That'd make me wanna give'em stars! LOL n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/21/10 7:15pm
Msg #332815

Re: LMAO That'd make me wanna give'em stars! LOL

Be nice now John..LOL

Reply by MW/VA on 4/21/10 8:00pm
Msg #332826

ROFL--I'm think these folks celebrated"National Weed-Smoking

Day" yesterday & are still high!

Reply by John Schenk on 4/21/10 8:04pm
Msg #332828

LOL Take care all! Just had a minute to drop by. n/m

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 4/22/10 5:03pm
Msg #332915

cannot sign until 11AM? Why then set apt for 10AM? n/m

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 4/22/10 5:13pm
Msg #332920

Oops, My bad. Just read the answer. LOL n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.