Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Thank you all so much and a question (printer)
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Shauna/WA on 4/11/10 9:40pm
Msg #331288

I started reading this forum last week and owe you all a HUGE round of thanks. Message 33325 is fabulous and I'm indebted to all you for it.

I've done well getting myself up and running but am completely unsure of what type printer to buy. I know laser and probably dual tray so I can print legal and letter size (right?).

What is a good printer to buy for under around $200? I'm quite willing to buy off ebay or craigslist (in fact, I'm rather cheap so that'd make me happy). I've searched and searched and still don't know.

Anything else besides the PCL5 or above that I should look for?

Again, the help is appreciated immensely!

Reply by cntrlcalntry on 4/11/10 9:50pm
Msg #331290

I have used a 1320 for five years and bought the second tray for $50.00 off amazon works great.

Reply by Shauna/WA on 4/11/10 10:22pm
Msg #331293

Ooh, good info. Found a 1320 on Craigslist for $75. If I get a second tray it'll print letter and legal just fine, right? Does it somehow collate them and figure out what is needed?

Sorry for all the questions - I just want to set myself up right. Thanks again!

Reply by cntrlcalntry on 4/11/10 10:57pm
Msg #331296

Just keep plenty of paper in both trays. If one tray runs out it will automatically pull from the other. It does not stop printing if it runs out the the correct size paper. It can be set to collate them and is not difficult to set up. I did it and am not a techie.

Good Luck,

Janet

Reply by cadmonkey/CA on 4/11/10 11:26pm
Msg #331298

If it's dual tray and you load letter size in one tray and legal size in another, the printer should autodetect the page sizes from the pdf file, just make sure when you print that the "Choose paper source by pdf size" is checked in acrobat. I have two HP 4200's and love printing original and borrower sets at the same time. A dual tray printer is the biggest time saver one can have in this business of last minute e-docs!

Reply by Shauna/WA on 4/11/10 11:42pm
Msg #331300

Perfect information - I was wondering how it works but I think even I can figure it out now. Smile I went ahead and told the seller on Craigslist that I'd take it. I figure it'll be easier to start with the right tools rather than being frustrated and trying to make it work with something that just won't.

Again, thank you all!

Reply by Regal/NC on 4/12/10 6:30am
Msg #331306

Check the following when buying used:

1. Get a copy of the usage page count
2. Age of the printer
3. Return option

JMHO

Reply by Linda Juenger on 4/12/10 7:49am
Msg #331307

Re: Check the following when buying used:

"Just keep plenty of paper in both trays. If one tray runs out it will automatically pull from the other"

I would hate this feature. When my HP 4200 runs out of paper in one tray, it stops printing and flashes a light. You are gonna waste a lot of paper with this printer and get all screwed up trying to figure out where it stopped printing the correct size. I know I would.

Reply by Norma Woodall on 4/12/10 9:45am
Msg #331312

Thank you everyone for your wise information.

Reply by Shauna/WA on 4/12/10 10:33am
Msg #331321

Terrific information - didn't even think to check number of prints made, so great info!!

Thank you all again. I was totally excited to find out the one I'm looking at tonight actually already has two trays. That would make my life a lot easier.

Again, appreciate the good feedback. What a terrific resource!

Reply by Shauna/WA on 4/12/10 10:39am
Msg #331322

Just thought I'd post this in case someone down the line comes looking for info on how to check printed page or usage count on a HP 1320:

HP Laser Jet 1150 and 1300 and 1320 series printers

When the printer is in the Ready state, press the GO button for five seconds until the GO light turns on, and then release the button.

THE METER READING WILL BE THE PAGE COUNT OR TOTAL PAGES PRINTED (info from www.raymorgan.com/downloads/HP%20Instructions.rtf )

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 4/12/10 11:36am
Msg #331331

What's the Go button ? n/m

Reply by Shauna/WA on 4/12/10 11:57am
Msg #331336

Re: What's the Go button ?

I have absolutely no idea (haha!). I was hoping when I saw the printer it'd be readily apparent. Anyone have one of the 1320s and know if there is, as the website states, a "go" button??

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 4/12/10 12:05pm
Msg #331339

There are 2 buttons, one of which is green. It does not light up. The green light which means ready, is above it. I pressed on the green button for 5 seconds and all I got was a printout that is like a test page.
The test for the 3330 works great.

Reply by Doris_CO on 4/12/10 3:10pm
Msg #331372

Shoshana, on the 1320, if you hold the green button down until the printer starts printing, you should get a printout of all the details, including the page count.

Reply by Shauna/WA on 4/12/10 5:01pm
Msg #331396

I know I'm not Shoshana (though if you say my name really fast it could sound the same Smile), but this is great information. I would've been looking for a 'go' button like I know what I'm doing and now I actually WILL know what I'm doing. Thanks again!!

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 4/12/10 6:27pm
Msg #331419

I did that and nothing printed out.

The printer made a noise as it tried to expel the blank paper.
I held the green button down. However, it did not start to print until I took my finger off the button. In your experience, Doris, if you leave your finger on the button, how long does it take to start printing?

Reply by Shauna/WA on 4/14/10 11:38pm
Msg #331813

Thought I'd update this - found a heck of a deal. Got an HP 2300dtn for $40. Low print count, seems to be in great condition. Found it on Craigslist and the guy threw in a HP 4300 that is jamming for free. Figure I'll get that one fixed and use it as a backup (need to buy a second tray).

No drivers or CD included so I ordered the CD and need to download a driver. I'm trying to figure out if I want PCL5, PCL6 or PostScript (I'll keep reading, but if someone wants to tell me I won't argue..Smile).

Thanks so much for all the info!!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.