Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Time to renew my CA commission, suggestions?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by FeliseSoCal on 4/20/10 2:26pm
Msg #332545

Yes, it's the third time, but things have changed. Are there any Californian notary's that had to renew recently who can suggest the quickest and most economical way to get recommissioned?
I know I have to take a three hour class and get fingerprinted. Before I do all the research finding out where the classes are etc. I thought I might ask for suggestions from someone in the Southern California area who's already done it.
My commission doesn't expire until November, but from what I'm hearing, I guess I need to start the process in May.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/20/10 3:02pm
Msg #332554

Honestly? Take the renewal class online... it's the most economical way to do it. You can take it right here from NotRot.

Don't just wait until May... honestly, if your commission expires in Nov, I'd have started a month or two ago. Take the exam as soon as you can -- or at least go to the CPS website and sign up NOW, because you'll end up waiting a long time for a spot -- possibly several months, just to take the exam.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/20/10 3:13pm
Msg #332555

Let me also clarify that the CPS exams are much reduced.... so right now, for example you could schedule exams for June... but they're limited, at best.

One option to that is to attend a live class and take the exam afterward. I don't recommend it myself, but a lot of people prefer that. FOr renewing notaries, it's not as much of a problem. I don't like the live workshop followed immediate by the exam concept. Convenient? Sure... but not helpful or conducive to retention.

Reply by FeliseSoCal on 4/20/10 4:43pm
Msg #332583

Thanks Marian!

Wow, I thought six months advance would be enough. I guess I need to get on it!

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 4/20/10 5:57pm
Msg #332594

More suggestions

I agree. Take the class here online unless you like the meet/greet/rub shoulders aspect of a class (besides they might serve doughnuts!). A real-live class might be best for a notary just starting out - but not necessarily so for a three-timer such as yourself. Heck, you could probably teach one. Also, even though you sign up for a test, if you want to try to taking it ASAP, just drop by an earlier one. I know from one notary that her test site, which was "full," took several walk-ins the day of testing ....

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 4/20/10 11:34pm
Msg #332656

The days of just showing up at a CPS testing site

and taking the test without a reserved spot is chancy at best.

These test sites have always been full; but now they actually fill up and are turning away
"walk in students."

Not true for years 2000-2008. Most years only half of the registered students actually showed up to test.

Most of the CA notaries who post on this website just need the 3 hour CA "completition Certificate" and need to filnd a place to take the test?

Email me if I can be of help? [e-mail address]

http://www.joanbergstromnotarypublic.com

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/21/10 3:07am
Msg #332665

Re: The days of just showing up at a CPS testing site - Wow!

I was going to recommend the "just show up" concept. I did that for mine, but the last time was June of '08. That was before all the economic problems hit. I hope things return to some semblance of what it used to be before I have to renew again!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.