Notary Rotary
UPS sucks
Notary Discussion History

UPS sucks
Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by GOLDGIRL/CA on 4/8/10 7:24pm
Msg #330824

UPS sucks

I very seldom have to use UPS (thank goodness) but today I had two pkgs that absolutely, positively had to go out UPS for tomorrow delivery. So, earlier today, I drove by my closest drop box to see what time they picked up: 4:15 p.m. I get there at 10 minutes to four and the little red sign is already up. I let out a big swear word, and a guy sitting in a car in the parking lot overheard me (everybody within a block overheard me, I was so mad) and said: "You just missed him." To add insult to injury, the driver had taken a tiny piece of white paper, written "4 p.m." on it and taped it to the drop box, indicating he had picked up at 4 p.m.. BULL! There were still 10 minutes to go before it would be 4 p.m. What is it with these drivers, they can just willy nilly run their own schedule? I let UPS have it by phone, but they couldn't care less. Anyway, the same thing applies to courier services as to low-ball SSs: You get what you pay for.

Reply by Michelle/AL on 4/8/10 8:06pm
Msg #330845

Goldgirl, I'd be ticked off royally too, if I were you. In fact, I'd be tempted to wait for the driver tomorrow just to give him a piece of my mind. I'm thinking your experience is a local problem because the UPS in my town are great. They usually arrive late for their pick-ups which is just fine with me. I think it's great that you called. Hmmm...I wonder what it would cost to hire an investigator to park and videotape tomorrow's pick up? ; - D (Just kidding!) BTW, 4PM is waaay to early for the last pick up for express mail, imo.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/8/10 8:09pm
Msg #330847

This same scenario happened to me years ago

only it was FedEx....the truck hit the box early - he was pulling away as I was pulling up 15 minutes ahead of time..and no he didn't stop..

It's the reason I never use drop boxes.

Reply by Jayhawk/KS on 4/8/10 8:50pm
Msg #330861

Re: I use a snowscrapper to get my package in!

I have to carry a snowscrapper in my car year round because the last box that is picked up by Fed EX is always crammed so full you can't get anything in it, unless you have a snow scrapper with you. I am getting pretty good at sticking it in there and manipulating boxes around so I can get my package to slide on down into the box. I'm sure not going to leave loan docs where any Tom, Dick or Harry can reach in and grab them out. Some people even leave boxes sitting on top of the Fed EX box, which I think is absolutely crazy. One night I sat out there, and ended up with 9 peoples boxes of things with me in the car waiting on the Fed Ex truck to come to empty the box. She was 2 hrs. and 10 minutes late after the posted pickup time, and the temp. was about 12 degrees. To say I was frosted is an understatement. I felt like building a fire in the Fed Ex box!!!!!!!! I have called Fed Ex so many times asking for an additional box they probably know me by the sound of my voice, but nothing happens!

Reply by MistarellaFL on 4/9/10 8:46am
Msg #330920

This same scenario happened to me years ago

With Fed Ex.
I called the 800 number immediately, and told them of my problem.
They sent the driver right back out to pick up the package from me, full of apologies.
And, it never happened to me again.

Reply by Victoria_NJ on 4/8/10 8:18pm
Msg #330849

File a complaint with the local distribution center

They'll at least ask the driver about it. It's cause for the driver to be fired if he is pulling that a lot. And next time, call for a pick up

Reply by Michelle/AL on 4/8/10 8:20pm
Msg #330850

Re: File a complaint with the local distribution center

I agree w/Victoria. Put something in writing. The driver will think twice b4 doing that again.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/8/10 8:22pm
Msg #330851

There's A $4 charge for pick-up, here.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 4/8/10 8:25pm
Msg #330852

I had an issue last summer with UPS. I used a local drop box as the nearest UPS store etc is 16 miles away and none usually in the areas I travel. Anyway..dropped 2 packages and headed out of town for the week.. The next day I get calls from both companies where are the docs? It took me 2 hrs to try and trace the packages..UPS told me 4 different stories as to what happened..The best I could figure is the driver was a replacement for the usual driver and did not stop at the box that day! The packages arrived the following day!

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 4/8/10 8:40pm
Msg #330858

I had a similar experience with FedEx

The driver picked up about 1/2 hour early. The gal at FedEx store gave me a number to call because she said a lot of people had been there to complain. I called FedEx and they apologized profusely. They said it wouldn't happen again.

Reply by MW/VA on 4/8/10 9:19pm
Msg #330863

I'm surprised by your experience. I had one situation where a UPS drop-box said that the pickup had already been made--way ahead of the time the box stated. I called UPS & questioned it.
They checked with the driver. He had not made the pickup--somehow the flag never got changed from the previous day. UPS customer service called me back to assure me that the package I had dropped had gone out the day I dropped it. I'm guessing I might have gotten better service than you because I have a UPS acct. #. Otherwise, it might be a regional thing--who knows.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/8/10 11:50pm
Msg #330890

"it might be a regional thing"

I'd bet it's an individual driver thing...

Reply by MikeC/NY on 4/8/10 10:46pm
Msg #330882

I don't think any of those stated times are set in stone, unfortunately. It really depends on the route guy's schedule. It's not like he's going to sit there waiting and looking at his watch - if he gets there early, he's doing the pickup and moving on.

Same thing happens with the USPS - mailbox at the PO says last pickup is at 5PM, but more than once I've gone to drop mail at the box in front of the PO at 4:00, and there's a guy clearing the mailbox an hour early, so unless I hand him the mail, it ain't going nowhere until later the next day... To me, those posted times are more of a suggestion than anything else....

If you absolutely, positively need to have a package shipped today for delivery tomorrow, your only options are to either arrange for a pickup or go to a shipping hub. Dropping it in a box guarantees you nothing.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 4/9/10 12:09pm
Msg #330973

That's the scariest- thing I've ever heard! The drop box read: "Last pickup: 4:15 p.m." It did not say "Last pickup: 4:15 p.m. OR whenever the particular driver that day feels like coming by and cleaning out the box, and if that happens at, say, 2:30 p.m., well, then, Missy notary public, if you had a signing at 3 p.m. (which I did) and you promised the itchy twitchy TC six times, cos they asked 6 times, that you would get their docs back the next day, (cos you had already double-checked that the LAST PICKUP was 4:15 p.m.) wel,l sorry, cos we don't really mean last pickup is at 4:15 p.m., we mean it's whenever we feel like it, so don't make any plans. Oh, and by the way, we'll also tape a tiny piece of paper on the box indicating we'd been there before 4:15 p.m. - only we'll also lie about that time, too, cos we're UPS. Have a good day." UPS does not have much of a presence in my area, so I rely on this drop box, which I hate to do. Fortunately, most all my returns here are by Fed Ex - and I know all the routes and now, that you mention it, if I get to any of these Fed Ex sites shortly before pick up time and the driver is there early, too, they wait in their truck until deadline. They don't just pick up and clear out. Only UPS.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 4/9/10 3:32am
Msg #330896

Love my carriers. Can appreciate your frustration, but

I've sniffed out tons of pick-ups at local businesses, and have traveled the highway hunting down Brown or White trucks with much success.

I've signed local UPS and FedEx drivers, and when I have pickups at my address? I leave cookies for my drivers.

There have been times when emergency pickups have been accomodated by both carriers, and our borrowers and Title have been served to great satisfaction.

But, I'm in a rural coastal community, and all of our businesses depend upon our carriers to maintian schedules, and 99.9% of the time, they do. The remaining 1%, I can usually save by literally going that extra mile.

I say, in your area? Go to the top, GoldGirl - there can be no excuses for rushing a run...too many customers have schedules too - and we all understand that time is money.

Great post.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.