Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
What do you charge for simple notary services?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Marsha Ostrer on 4/5/10 2:08pm
Msg #330403

Hi everyone,

I live on Cape Cod, MA. I recently became a notary and listed myself on Notary Rotary. I am the only listed notary in my area. I basically became a notary to do house closings. However, I am getting calls from people who want things notarized or for me to do I-9's. I have no idea what to charge for these services. Any help will be appreciated.

Reply by BossLadyMD on 4/5/10 2:10pm
Msg #330404

simple notary fees are regulated in each state

$2 per signature and $5 for fuel. $1 for each addl signature, same appt. every state is different.

Reply by BossLadyMD on 4/5/10 2:12pm
Msg #330406

Re: simple notary fees are regulated in each state

the above post is maryland regulated fees, check with your SOS for FL fees.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/5/10 2:39pm
Msg #330412

Think you meant "check for MA fees, not FL:) n/m

Reply by BossLadyMD on 4/5/10 2:42pm
Msg #330413

yes i did, thank you! :) n/m

Reply by Roger_OH on 4/5/10 2:16pm
Msg #330407

I think it sad that you became a notary apparently without knowing the basic laws of your state, or even where to look for soemthing as basic as fees, which are state mandated in MA.

It's your responsibility to know your notary laws thoroughly, BEFORE presenting yourself to a trusting public as someone who is supposedly qualified for the title of notary public and knows what they are doing.

Strongly suggest you acquire some good E&O insurance coverage. You may need it.

Reply by BobbiCT on 4/5/10 2:21pm
Msg #330408

"MA house closing"

For "house closings," I assume you are an attorney and will charge according to what your peers charge. You may want to check out the MA Real Estate Bar Association web site.

As to performing a notarization: You can charge up to what the MA laws allow for a notarization and mileage. You should definately check with your commission office regarding the notarization fees and mileage allows. For example, as a CT notary public I am allowed to charge a Maximum of $5 per notarization and 35 cents per mile for travel.

Reply by Marsha Ostrer on 4/5/10 3:45pm
Msg #330420

Re: "MA house closing"

Thank you everyone for your helpful answers.

Reply by Marsha Ostrer on 4/5/10 3:47pm
Msg #330422

No actually I am charging significantly less than my peers who have more experience.

Reply by Doris_CO on 4/5/10 3:59pm
Msg #330424

With general notary work, you charge what you are allowed by your state for the notarization plus a travel fee and possibly a print fee if you have to print something. Some states have a limit you can charge for the travel fee. You'll have to check with your state to determine what you can charge. Also, do a search on form I-9 on here. There's some good info on how other notaries have handled that form.

Reply by desktopfull on 4/5/10 6:07pm
Msg #330432

I am charging significantly less than my peers

That is one of the reasons companies keep lowering their prices to your more experienced peers. Thanks!

Reply by jba/fl on 4/5/10 6:20pm
Msg #330433

She is an attorney....not "just a....." n/m

Reply by desktopfull on 4/5/10 7:44pm
Msg #330451

Re: She is an attorney....not "just a....."

If she's an attorney then why is she asking how to serve subpoenas in message
#330421? Plus doesn't know notary laws in her state?????

Reply by Maureen_nh on 4/5/10 8:42pm
Msg #330454

From what I have heard, they do not spend a lot of time in law school on notary law.
Maybe you have figured that out for yourself after looking at some of the messes we are supposed to fill out.
MA has a lot of hungry lawyers, that is why they hijacked the signing bussiness.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/5/10 8:45pm
Msg #330455

DTF
I once did a signing with an attorney who was refinancing. He was also a notary. However he was not well up on notary laws! he notarizes his wife's signature, when I told him that wasn't allowed under Florida notary laws, he asked me to show him where it stated that - so I showed him the statute. He had no idea!!!

Reply by desktopfull on 4/5/10 8:49pm
Msg #330456

Apparently didn't learn anything about subpoenas either and why would an attorney want to serve process anyway?

Reply by jba/fl on 4/5/10 8:55pm
Msg #330457

Maybe she wants to pay off student loans, add to her income stream, get out of a horrid law firm that expects her to work 100+ hrs. a week, is a victim of the economic turndown as many are these days, having a midlife crisis or just wants a change.

In any event, I didn't 'get' that she was deficient in understanding of laws but exhibited her curiosity factor. As for your final question: 'why would an attorney want to serve process anyway?" - maybe it is an add-on feature to combine with her other endeavors.

Reply by Maureen_nh on 4/5/10 9:07pm
Msg #330459

I hear your empathy, but one thing they do stress in law school is how to research and maybe this (board) is part of the process but I would think she should be going directly to MA laws and statues.
Didn't we have a MA notary not too long ago making the same type of query and we all assumed because of MA regs that they were a lawyer. Are we makinf the same assumption here, or does someone know this person is a lawyer?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/5/10 9:11pm
Msg #330460

Maureen

She is an attorney - Ostrer and Associates in Chatham. I think she is the same person that posted before - I remember looking her up then.
Also her profile on here states she is an attorney.

Reply by jba/fl on 4/5/10 9:17pm
Msg #330462

Same person as before re: E&O n/m

Reply by Maureen_nh on 4/5/10 9:17pm
Msg #330463

Re: Maureen

Wonders will never cease, and this board is a good example.

Reply by desktopfull on 4/5/10 9:22pm
Msg #330464

Been an attorney since 1973 and doesn't know what to charge for serving a subpoena? Hmmmmmmm!

Reply by jba/fl on 4/5/10 9:26pm
Msg #330465

I see you have a whip - do you have a dead horse too?

LOL

Reply by desktopfull on 4/5/10 9:30pm
Msg #330468

I see you have a whip - do you have a dead horse too?

No! But she's damned incompetent to be an attorney or she's trolling. She's also a court mediator too. Forget it, I'm off of here.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/6/10 2:25pm
Msg #330520

I think your expectations may be a bit out of whack. I've also met lawyers who aren't fully versed on notary law and, as far as I know, law school isn't business school. Attorney's aren't perfect and don't know everything and are just as likely as anyone else to have getting started questions - good, bad or otherwise.

Reply by Laura_V on 4/5/10 10:26pm
Msg #330474

I am charging significantly MORE than my peers and.....

I get my quoted fees.

Cash on the table.

And they flippin take me out to lunch and/or dinner all the time. And one recently sent me a flippin gift for my Bday.

Holey moley! Now they are giving me presents via international post?

Totally true.

Pound away, disbelievers. I'm happy and loving it all the way to the bank.

AND

I TRULY sympathize with all you gals who are tortured by TCs, SSs, LOs, and RAs - RBs, who put you thru heck and back then pay you 3 months later. Maybe er perhaps.

BEST of SUPER luck to all NSAs

Reply by enotary/va on 4/5/10 8:26pm
Msg #330453

I went to a hospital to notarize a will for a older gentlemen who was in intensive care. (A lawyer drew up the will.) We talked for a few minutes after everything was done. Then he asked me what he owed me. I told him nothing, It was no way I could charge him…. I’m still doing well with signings so I stay away from everything else.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.