Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
What's the difference between an NP and JP in NH?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Robert/FL on 4/9/10 9:16pm
Msg #331082

I seem to remember that there are a few Justices of the Peace on this board... I know that justices are more like judicial officers, whereas notaries are ministerial officers, but doing research about notarial law in New Hampshire, I can't seem to find the difference between New Hampshire notaries and justices of the peace, other than that justices of the peace can also perform weddings.

Can anyone elaborate?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/9/10 11:08pm
Msg #331093

Myra in New Hampshire is a JP, maybe she will see your post and answer. But doing a Google search I came up with this from Wikipedia:

New Hampshire Justices of the Peace are commissioned magisterial officers, appointed by the Governor and Executive Council to terms of five years, with the power to administer oaths, acknowledge instruments, perform marriage ceremonies [4] and, effective January 1, 2008, solemnize civil unions for same-sex couples. [5] They may also order compulsory mental examinations for good cause, [6] act as a magisterial official regarding enforcement complaints on orders for isolation or quarantine issued by the Commissioner of Health and Human Services, [7] administer oaths of office to public officials, [8] [9] take depositions [10] and issue subpoenas. [11] [12] New Hampshire Justices of the Peace are also authorized, upon a showing of probable cause supported by affidavit, to issue arrest warrants, [13] [14] search warrants,[15] administrative inspection warrants [16] and by court appointment, to fix and receive bail in criminal cases. [17] [18] [19]

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.