Notary Rotary
Where do you place your embosser?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Robert/FL on 4/1/10 9:10am
Msg #329918

Embossers are so rare in Florida that I rarely have a chance to see other notarized documents with embossing seals affixed.

I sometimes affix mine on top of the word "SEAL" or "L.S." if it is printed on the document, but most typically I will affix the seal on top of my signature. If I know that the document will be recorded or photocopied, I try to affix it in a white space where I can darken it with an embosser inker or carbon paper.

I'm curious to know where other notaries are placing their embosser.

Reply by pan/nd on 4/1/10 9:19am
Msg #329919

No problem in North Dakota--they're illegal here. n/m

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/1/10 9:27am
Msg #329920

Are you sure?

I couldn't find anything saying that embossers were not allowed in ND. It appears that the only requirement is that the seal be photographically reproducible - an embosser that is inked or darkened is photographically reproducible. Am I missing something?

Reply by SERVICIO on 4/2/10 3:47pm
Msg #330145

Re: -they're illegal here IMPOSSIBLE!

When TN changed to the ink stamped seals, I went to My state office for notary's governing all cities and counties in TN this is what I was told. As long as the seal is copied and the original is in BLUE ink (or shaded with BLUE ink) there is nothing stopping me from applying my embosser. Embossers cannot be ILLEGAL in any state, I find that very hard to believe. When I tried to change my embosser because I moved to a different county I was told by a company that did embossers that they where *ILLEGAL* in the state of TN. So I took the time to educate the store to say there is no LAW AGAINST THE USE OF EMBOSSERS. Just that the embosser cannot be used without adding color specifically BLUE ink. He changed my embosser for me.

To say they are illegal is to insinuate that I may not know my laws. Check with your state capital where all the offices are that govern all notaries in your whole state not just the county. They make the laws and they will give you the correct information or the literature to check it out for yourself. I also had to explain to a county clerk that she was wrong about the embosser being *ILLEGAL*. I use my embosser at every signing and especially for foreign documents.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 4/1/10 9:58am
Msg #329928

I have one, but don't use it. In OR, we must use a stamp,

and can only emboss in addition to the stamp.

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/1/10 10:39am
Msg #329940

Same in FL n/m

Reply by PAW on 4/1/10 10:03am
Msg #329930

I use my embosser on all documents destined for foreign countries, as many prefer (or require) an embossed seal. I also use it for other documents, such as a Powers of Attorney, Advanced Healthcare Directives and Wills. I place the embossed seal just below my signature, if possible, or just below the rubber stamp seal (which is required to be used in Florida). On some documents, especially diplomas and transcripts, the embossed seal is placed near the bottom right-hand corner.

Reply by Doris_CO on 4/1/10 10:09am
Msg #329931

Over the years, I've seen numbers of notarized documents where the notary used an embosser and stamped over their signature, which made the signature and the embossed seal hard to read. Colorado's handbook describes the Notary's seal as either an embosser or rubber stamp and states that "The seal should not obscure the text of the document itself, or be placed over the notary's signature in such a way as to make the signature unreadable".

Reply by Laura_V on 4/1/10 10:23am
Msg #329936

Wherever it will fit!

I like to apply my seals on the same page as the signatures and notarial certificate wording.

I use a gold seal when it fits.

If signature page is different from notarial certificate, I try to place the gold seal in the best place for the embossed image to appear on the signature page when I emboss both pages together.

On medical lab reports, the gold seal rarely fits. So I just plain emboss in a corner where it will not distort any text. If the text is in, say, the lower left corner and the characters just reflect a from number or similar, then I emboss without seal there.

I use an embossed seal and an ink stamp seal every single time if there is room, etc. Ink trumps embossed if no room for both.

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/1/10 10:39am
Msg #329939

I always use both, even though not required in Fla.

I have never done a notarization where I did not use my embosser in addition to my required ink stamp. Finding room for the embosser is not an issue, because I put it over my signature if need be. IMO, the embosser is not obscuring any text so there is no reason to NOT put it over my signature, and in fact, looking at many older documents, most notaries did it that way anyway.

As for the foil seals - I reserve those for attested copies and other important documents if space permits.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.