Notary Rotary
Why didn't I do this sooner??!!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Jessica Ward on 4/24/10 1:24am
Msg #333202

Ok, I did it. Today between a couple of long-distance closings, I broke down and bought a navigation system--a TomTom. I've never used one before--and when my map books won't get me out of a pinch I've used the GPS on my phone to "locate myself" and then reference back to a map.

This works well, except when I'm in a dead zone (like the Cascade Mountains) the mobile phone doesn't tell me when it's stopped updating and once at nearly midnight, when I was supposed to be in far-suburbia, I started seeing Ski Lifts. Frantically I pulled over to check my phone's GPS only to discover it had stopped updating 25 miles earlier. I said a really, really bad word.

I imagine I'm the very last one to make this upgrade, but in case I'm not the last one--seriously consider getting something like this--I don't think you'll regret it. It got me out of a pinch already today! They were much less expensive than I ever imagined.

--Your friendly Luddite notary in WA.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 4/24/10 6:04am
Msg #333207

I broke down and bought a GPS three years ago after getting hopelessly lost one day on some back roads. Here in VA, if a street sign gets knocked down, it may not get put back up for a while and it's easy to get lost. Of course I was very late to my appointment.

I bought a Garmin and love it. I did have a problem with the window suction mount falling off the window. I nearly got into a head-on collision when it happened while I was driving on a small twisty road and the stupid thing fell off the windshield and I instinctively went to grab it, which made me turn the wheel and I went over the center line just as another car was coming. Thank heavens we did not collide and the other driver did not go into a ditch or anything. I bought a friction mount the next day and no longer put myself at risk for those situations. I love the friction mount!

Reply by Dorothy_MI on 4/24/10 6:12am
Msg #333208

My daughter's Christmas Gift to me

a year and a half ago. Can't imagine how I survived without it. My daughter was wondering what to get me for Christmas and was talking with me on my cell one day on the way to a signing. I went around a corner and the map I was referencing slid off the seat and onto the floor. "Expletive deleted". She said what happened and I explained that my map had gone on an independent ride. She thought oh my, my mother is driving, talking on a cell phone and reading a map. She needs a GPS. Best Christmas gift I ever got!

PS. I have a Garmin too. I got one of the bean bag dash board holders and when I arrive at my destination, I just remove the GPS attached to the bag and put both on the floor between the seats so it is not readily noticable that I have a GPS.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 4/24/10 6:22am
Msg #333209

Re: My daughter's Christmas Gift to me

Yup, that bean bag thingy is the friction mount - they are FABULOUS and worth every penny for safety!!!

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 4/24/10 7:17am
Msg #333212

I worked in this industry over 6 years calling my husband for directions and reading the maps. I have all office equipment for a professional office and no GPS. Once I bought one I thought I was nuts for holding out so long.

Reply by Lee/AR on 4/24/10 8:13am
Msg #333218

I read maps & talk to B... and I get there just fine.

And I'm in Podunk Junction and travel less than stellar roads. A borrowed GPS once told me to drive into the lake. (It apparently thought the lake access road was, well, a road.) Thanks, but no thanks.

Reply by NCLisa on 4/24/10 12:08pm
Msg #333274

In some states only GPS that use Navtech maps

work well. I had a Megallan a number of years ago, and it got me lost every time because NC only updates to Navtech. So now it is Garmins, and I bought a lifetime update subscription that updates the roads every few months. I love it!

Mine came with free subscription of the microsoft system for GPS, and I can find lowest prices of gas. Also has a shopping guide, type "Whole Foods" and it directs me to the closest Whole Foods market or whatever other store I want.

Reply by bagger on 4/24/10 12:25pm
Msg #333283

Speaking of updates.

Has anyone of the Garmin users noticed that the updates cost about as much as a new Garmin?

Reply by dickb/wi on 4/25/10 2:07pm
Msg #333411

mine are usually $69, however i don't....

update every year........when i bought my garmin street pilot they cost $1100 wit a 3yr warranty from best buy.........now they are very reasonable.........i always use mapquest to get a picture in my head of where i am going to be and if i get screwed up when i am almost there i let garmin do the job and help me out.......would never be with out it.....

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/24/10 8:25am
Msg #333221

GPS: MyTouch (Tmobile) + Telenav for $10 per mo.

I have been extremely satisfied with my GPS set up using my phone and Telenav.com's program.

Yes, it costs $10 a month, $120 a year, but I like it because I don't have to keep up with another piece of gear, or insure another piece of gear, or worry about updating the maps, etc.

I am all into minimizing the visual clutter of life and reducing stuff. I like to use my phone for a GPS and not have yet another piece of electronics in my life. It works great. The only complaint would be that perhaps the volume could be a little on my phone, but I think that's more of an operator error than a weakness of the system.

I have had it since September (TeleNav) and the GPS system app on my phone has been updated and improved since I have been using it.

If you are interested, I think the first month is a free trial. Also, they tell me each month before they bill me.

Reply by Grammyzoom on 4/24/10 8:47am
Msg #333223

We rely on the Blackberry

We have a GPS system in our car but the Phoenix area changes so rapidly that our GPS disc is outdated and they want $250 to upgrade. I use my Blackberry for everything! The GPS works great, getting email (good to know when you get docs while on the road), and yes at the age of 67 I am texting. I am not a stockholder of Sprint but the "everything" program is fantastic! The downsize is that it took me 2 weeks to learn how to use the darn thing because it is actually like a little computer.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 4/24/10 9:29am
Msg #333230

Re: We rely on the Blackberry

Thanks--I was worried about this also--so I asked on the TomTom--I can plug it in to the computer to upload new maps anytime I want, and I don't have to worry about paying for an upgrade. (whew!).

I'd be PO'ed if I had to pay $250 for new maps. Holy smoke!

I don't know if where you are you have Thomas Guides--they're map books. I was just talking with someone the other day about how much I miss the simplicity of the books, but I can't stand updating them so frequently.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 4/24/10 8:58am
Msg #333224

I love my VZ Navigator!

Just $10/month. The best part is that It's almost never wrong. The issue with the stand -alone GPS systems (Garmin, Tom Tom, etc.) is that half the time you lose the satellite! That never happens with Verizon because you ar3e going from cell tower to cell tower.

Reply by cawest/PA on 4/24/10 9:07am
Msg #333226

Re: I love my VZ Navigator!

interesting ... so your system will bring you around the lake or pond and not try to make you drive in it? I need to look into that!

Reply by Jessica Ward on 4/24/10 9:28am
Msg #333229

Re: GPS: MyTouch (Tmobile) + Telenav for $10 per mo.

I tried this, but I found that it drained my battery life too much and it stopped updating if I took a call (ack!). I also had trouble with it going out of range and failing to update, so I wanted something that stored maps on while it was in range.

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/24/10 4:34pm
Msg #333316

Re: GPS: MyTouch (Tmobile) + Telenav for $10 per mo.

I keep mine plugged into the car while I'm driving and it is always charged, so that's not a problem (Of course, I'm one of those who has a routine for charging my phone daily, too.)

Been in the worst of the worst for reception in Central and East Texas and it holds its own pretty good.

If I run into a problem, I'll cancel my service and buy the stand-alone GPS.

Reply by cawest/PA on 4/24/10 9:06am
Msg #333225

Re: Good luck in the Poconos with a GPS

there I rely mostly on the mailman, fedex and ups guys and on locals.
The Pocono has added over 500.000 homes in the past years ... all clustered in subdivisions with one main street where all the mailboxes are and within the subdivision no street names and when there is a street name your GPS does not find it ... subdivisions cut by golf courses and your gps wants you to drive thru them, same goes for rivers and small ponds ... and most roads barely paved.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/24/10 9:24am
Msg #333228

You're not the very last one Jessica

I don't have one - and there are no plans in my future to get one...I've done fine between MapQuest, Google Maps, GIS photos from the appraiser's website and explicit directions from the signers.

Glad you're happy though...enjoy!!

Reply by CF on 4/24/10 9:35am
Msg #333233

I cant imagine how I worked when I did not have one

I bought one, almost, 3 years ago. Fall had just started and it was getting dark at about 7pm. I got, hopelessly, lost tyring to leave a large sub. I was so fuming mad and fed up that I came home and order a garmin- street piolet off ebay that same night. My husband asked "bad closings?", as I stomped into my office on a serious mission. At that time there were still pretty pricey....but I paid about $175 for mine. I still use the same one. You still need to know some of the general area to override the system, from time to time, or it may take you out of the way. However, the ease and peace of mind that I have is priceless. Every once in a while I have to use my blackberry to locate an address.....but that is very rare. The best investment a mobile notary signing agent can have.

Reply by Hugh Nations Signing Agents of Austin on 4/24/10 10:43am
Msg #333254

Re: You're not the very last one Jessica

***I've done fine between MapQuest, Google Maps, GIS photos from the appraiser's website and explicit directions from the signers.***

Okay, everybody on here who expects to see a post one of these days from Linda to the tune of "How did I ever get by without a GPS?" raise your hand.

Gonna happen.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/24/10 11:01am
Msg #333259

LOL Hugh...may be right...

But right now I don't foresee purchasing a GPS. You're more likely to see a post by me along the lines of "how is it the borrowers don't know where they live??!!" or "I got so hopelessly lost last night!!"...ROFL

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/24/10 4:52pm
Msg #333318

I thought I was the last one...

I took the Telenav program on a trial and used it to go to Waco to get a replacement copy of my car title. The state office is in the bowels of that little city and in a part of town that I would not want to get lost in. I printed the instructions from a mapping program but they were vague with all the construction going on. I was sold when got there without a hitch and was able to get right back out and onto the road back home.

Since then I have made numerous trips to Houston where I needed to go here and there and here and there again. It took all the stress out of driving and let me concentrate on the traffic.

Just got back from Houston going to a birthday party and then to my niece's home in West University (a little city inside of Houston). I left the birthday party and beat my niece back to her house. She was amazed that Aunt Brenda was suddenly so adept at zipping around Houston. (Easy. I plugged the addresses into my phone before I left the house this morning.)

The fun part: My stepmother rode with me from the party to the house. She was chagrined that I ignored her instructions and listened to "Jennifer" navigate. Further dismay came when her prediction did not come to pass that we'd be beat back to the house by everyone else.

Got any obnoxious, controlling people who insist on giving step by step driving instructions while they backseat drive? Turn on the navigation system. I. Loved. It.

Reply by DogmongerCA on 4/24/10 9:53am
Msg #333237

I use Microsoft Streets and Trips on my laptop

Newes version runs about 70 bucks with GPS reciever. Unlimited routing capability, can optimize your route of multiple stops. IMHO, far superior to most GPS units unless you spend 700 to a 1000 bucks:-)

Reply by Grammyzoom on 4/24/10 10:10am
Msg #333239

No matter what GPS system you use,

they are wonderful. When you are driving alone and trying to find directions and an address, this device allows you to drive hands free. No stopping to read directions or fumble with a map. The GPS lady, (haven't heard a man yet), gives you warnings about when you will need to turn, how far you are from your next turn and some systems warn you about traffic problems ahead.
Bill and I were full time RVers for 10 yearsand were among the first to get a GPS system. We traveled through every state and found it to be invaluable everywhere we went, even Alaska. It was and is one of the best tools we ever invested in.

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/24/10 4:38pm
Msg #333317

I agree, Dog. n/m

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/24/10 10:21am
Msg #333244

Just FYI

A lot of older people like to say that teenagers cause a lot of car accidents due to texting while driving. But, at a recent meeting I attended where we honored a local police officer, the officer stated that GPS systems cause far more accidents then texting-while-driving, because of the confusion that can be caused by the GPS. (i.e., when the GPS tells people directions other than what they were expecting, fidgeting/arguing with the GPS, etc.)

Not saying these are bad devices. I don't particularly have a need for one but I can see where they could be very useful to others. Just wanted to point out - since the texting issue seems to be a "blame teenagers for everything" issue - that these GPS systems are no better.

Reply by Cari on 4/24/10 10:55pm
Msg #333356

this coming from a teenager who has how many yrs driving???

And its not a lot of 'older people' blaming teenagers', as there are a few studies to back this up, here's one below....

"Nearly 50 percent of teens admit to text messaging while driving -- an alarming statistic that now rivals driving and drinking in terms of danger and prevalence"

http://www.sadd.org/press/textingadvisory.htm

One study by Nationwide Insurance suggests DWT is generational, with 37 percent of people age 18 to 27 saying they text message while driving, while just 14 percent of those ages 28 to 44 and two percent of drivers ages 45 to 60 admitted to it

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/25/10 8:05am
Msg #333374

Re: Just FYI....I disagree a bit here with that officer

Although I'll agree that GPS distraction probably is a contributing factor, IMO ANY cell phone use is a major distraction, but texting while driving is absolutely over the top and I wish the laws could be tightened to provide for very harsh penalties for its use - laws that are *enforced*...

What bothers me is we now need laws on the books to enforce common sense...

I don't have a GPS *and* and I don't text...don't want one, don't want to...and won't if I can help it.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/25/10 8:06am
Msg #333375

And by the way, for the record, to Cari

Your subject line comment, IMO, was uncalled for.

MHO

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/25/10 9:08am
Msg #333376

Well I personally will let the sworn law

enforcement officer be the expert... and he said that GPS causes more accidents than texting while driving.

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/25/10 9:22am
Msg #333377

And Cari your constant attacks are getting old

Not just to me but to other members on this board. Try to act professional.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/25/10 9:47am
Msg #333378

Texting while driving isn't limited to teenagers. There was that train crash in California in 2008 where the engineer had been texting while operating the train. In 2009 a crash on the Massachussets Bay Transport Authority Green Line was caused by a driver who was texting.
In March the Florida Senate Transportation committee passed Senate Bill 244 - Heather's Law - a comprehensive ban on hand held cell phones and texting while driving in Florida.

I need to check and see where that bill is at now.

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/25/10 10:10am
Msg #333381

>>>Senate Bill 244 - Heather's Law - a comprehensive ban on hand held cell phones and texting while driving in Florida.<<<

Is this for just texting, or for talking as well? I would be flabergasted if a bill banning talking on a cell phone while driving actually made it into law. Considering that, not only civilians, but police officers use their cell phones while driving as well - often for work purposes.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/25/10 10:35am
Msg #333382

I think the key words are "hand held". Everyone should be using hands free devices.

I believe the bill has the wording "except when using a headset or hands free device."

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/25/10 10:44am
Msg #333384

Yep..ban on hand-held made it into law in CT

don't think FL should be any different....and the fines are pretty hefty too...law enforcement officials and emergency responders are exempt. Of course, this bill in CT didn't pass until a representative's relative was hurt or killed (don't remember which) as a result of being hit by someone on a cell phone.

Of course, enforcement is key to this and I just never see it enforced unless there's an accident. That's the pitiful part....it's my understanding that, in my county, they WILL pull you over if they happen to observe you exhibiting any behavior that would indicate you may be texting - i.e. hands not on the wheel, glancing down or away from the road as if reading, etc. etc.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 4/25/10 4:31pm
Msg #333429

My question would be

"law enforcement officials and emergency responders are exempt"

Why? Is there some kind of superpower that is received when one becomes a law enforcement official or an emergency responder? If anything, I would think that EMS drives would need to be the first on the list. After all, while on duty, they are either heading to an emergency or to a hospital with a patient. I would think that they, by far, would need to have less distraction than someone heading to the local grocery store.

Just curious, why the exemptions? Aren't they on the same roads that we are?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/25/10 4:49pm
Msg #333433

Re: My question would be

No idea...can only tell you they are....

Reply by MikeC/NY on 4/25/10 3:29pm
Msg #333415

"I would be flabergasted if a bill banning talking on a cell phone while driving actually made it into law. Considering that, not only civilians, but police officers use their cell phones while driving as well - often for work purposes."

We have laws banning both here in NY. Police officers are exempted from the cell phone law, but most of them are intelligent enough to pull over and off the road when using a cell phone.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/25/10 6:48pm
Msg #333473

We don't have those laws here yet

but they're not that smart here - I see police and sheriffs cruising along the road talking on the cell phone all the time.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/25/10 7:07pm
Msg #333478

Should add...saw it a lot in CT too.. n/m

Reply by MikeC/NY on 4/25/10 10:40pm
Msg #333502

Re: We don't have those laws here yet

I think the police here are aware of the public perception - it's tough to enforce a law when the people tasked with enforcing it are doing exactly what everyone else is not supposed to do...

Reply by Jessica Ward on 4/24/10 12:16pm
Msg #333278

OK- forget the GPS, now I want one of these...

http://www.komonews.com/news/offbeat/91911079.html

Awesome feel-good story about a dog that leads emergency responders into a hard-to find neighborhood in Alaska where his owner had been badly burned in a fire.

It seems there's a new gadget every day, and this is way cuter than my new GPS. ;-)

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/24/10 12:25pm
Msg #333284

Yeah...saw this in TV last night...

and this was great heads-up instinct on the officer's part to believe in the dog and follow him...

Now I want one too - my husband's gonna kill me!!...LOL

Reply by LKT/CA on 4/24/10 3:35pm
Msg #333309

GPSs are great but when I have an appointment, I will also print out a map from either Google, Yahoo or Mapquest. The online map will have the route taking the freeway and the GPS has that same route taking me through the streets (with no allowances for the time spent at stoplights). I usually ignore the GPS and take the freeway if the printed map advises. Then the GPS will "recalculate" and be in line with the printed map directions.

I think the GPS is great if you're in a different city and need to find specific businesses (i.e. FedEx, the post office, a specific restaurant or other point of interest. But I don't depend on it exclusively when there is someplace I must be on time. I have the printed maps as backups.

The GPS is prone to sending people on wild goose chases, like that couple that was trapped in the snow for three days because the GPS guided them wrongly and they got lost worse than they were before. I would NEVER depend on it for a road trip - I'd order a trip planner from AAA.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 4/24/10 8:20pm
Msg #333349

Speaking as an, at times, geographylly challenged

person. I love my TomTom GPS. After 5+ years of hurricanes that seem to have a gps of their own for my area, mapquest is great, but only if the street signs are still around. LOL I finally bought mine last month from newegg (was $279 got it for only $99).

I didn't realize it had traffic light camera warning. Got a surprise on my first trip to Houston with it. With it, I can now be even dumber while driving Smile just sit back, drive, turn when it tells me to. All this while still not knowing where I am at times. Hehe

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.