Notary Rotary
"Just" a Notary
Notary Discussion History

"Just" a Notary
Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by PJM/MI on 4/2/10 10:22pm
Msg #330170

"Just" a Notary

I was introduced to a borrower as "just a notary".
Is that like the "just the dollar" commercial? So.. now I have meaning in my life @ Micki-D's. Smile

Reply by LKT/CA on 4/2/10 11:18pm
Msg #330172

I only introduce myself to borrowers as a Notary Public. I never, ever use the term Signing Agent. They know the title Notary Public, they haven't a clue what a SA is and I wanna have to explain it.

Me dialing borrowers #, phone rings and a male answers, "Hello?"
Me: Hello, is this Fred Flintstone?
Borrower: Yes
Me: My name is Lisa Thornton and I am a Notary Public. I was contacted by Dinosaur Title Company to meet with you and Mrs. Flintstone for a loan signing tomorrow at 4:00pm
Borrower: Oh, yes, that is correct.
Rest of conversation verifies address, etc.

I've never had a problem introducing myself only as a Notary Public. To add: I would not be offended if someone introduced me as "just the Notary".

Reply by LKT/CA on 4/2/10 11:19pm
Msg #330173

should read: and I don't wanna have to explain it

Reply by Deborah Lewellen on 4/3/10 3:55am
Msg #330183

I've had this happen so many times it's nauseating. Yet when the borrowers are trying to call their LO and can't get a hold of them, then they will turn to me and I will generally offer to find the answer in their paperwork. I inform them due to my experiences after conducting 4000+closings, that I've been around the block a time or two.
Generally this happens more often with borrowers of the higher eschelon, I pull up in my conservative 1999 Camry and though I dress professionally and conduct myself so, I've often heard the statement usually if there is a problem as if I belong to some lower life form.

Reply by Lee/AR on 4/3/10 5:56am
Msg #330185

I'll accept 'just a notary' and do introduce myself in the Confirmation call as 'the Notary who will be handling your document signing'. However, I recently had a Mortgage Broker tell me "You're just the Notary--you don't need to ID these signers." Now THAT does annoy me. 8ol

Reply by Laura_V on 4/3/10 7:39am
Msg #330187

Gawd, this is a funny thread!

I just love it when this topic comes up.

Around 5 years ago, we once had a ball with "Yes, I'm just a notary. And I am a........"

One of my fav responses: "And I was recently released from prison for ID theft. May I see your drivers' licenses, please? I need to note them in my journal."

Yes, I get that this is funny and tragic.

When ppl give me grief about not having an office like Canadian notaries do, I simply say that I run several businesses from home and that spending $500 a month on office rent is rather silly for a notary in a small town and that the cafe at the golf country club is quiet and lovely, that usually shuts 'em up and we make the appointment. I do say it nicely - every time.

If they are late due to traffic, etc, they usually find me reading a Smithsonian magazine. OMG - a notary who reads something other than romance bodice buster novels? Whooda thunk?

Well, we "just notaries" think. For hours and hours, some days.

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/3/10 8:49am
Msg #330190

Re: "Just" a Notary - fine with that on my end...

I liken the "just a notary" position to Dolly Parton who was once asked, "Dolly, don't you know that people make fun of you for those wigs and outrageous clothes?" Dolly didn't miss a beat. She said, "Yes, and I laugh right along with 'em...all the way to the bank!"

Last night I was out with friends from work...we all pretty much agreed we get paid a reasonable salary but the benefits are to die for. What we do with our money and off hours creates the type of lifestyle we desire. The eight hours we spend at work each day is pleasant, it's worthwhile and it's meaningful...and we get those benefits! The rest is about money management and how we spend other valuable time.

I am constantly teased at work about my off-hour endeavors as a notary and writer (about notary issues) and the presentation/training I am now starting to get into and do on my days off. I shuffle and look at my feet with an "Aw shucks, y'all, a few dollars here and there helps buy more dog treats for Foxy." I smile then...laugh sometimes at the teasing I get...but I definitely smile when I go to the bank and make a deposit into my *savings* account.

Who cares about being "just a notary"? LOL all the way to the bank!

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/3/10 8:52am
Msg #330191

Re: "Just" a Notary - one other thought...

Being introduced as "just a notary" really keeps those borrowers from getting the idea they also want to be just a notary...couldn't be any money in it...right?

Reply by Grammyzoom on 4/3/10 9:41am
Msg #330195

It is NOT what you are called it is how you conduct yourself n/m

Reply by LisaWI on 4/3/10 10:27am
Msg #330201

Re: It is NOT what you are called it is how you conduct yourself

How I am presented from someone else even if its "just a notary" doesnt bother me. When I make that initial phone call and when I get to the appt, borrowers clearly know I am much more.

This kind of goes back to us having an "official" title to our profession other than just a notary. Which doesnt seem like its ever going to happen in this lifetime, so being just a notary works for me.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 4/3/10 11:34am
Msg #330205

Re: It is NOT what you are called it is how you conduct yourself

I wish I had kept track of how many loans I saved being "Just a Notary". The LO's call us "Just a Notary" but we save their behinds more than they will admit.

Reply by Grammyzoom on 4/3/10 1:41pm
Msg #330216

A true story and a Shocker!!!!

I along with a lot of you I am sure, have saved so many loans over the years that I lost count. I only stepped over the bounds once and it was to go in the other direction and kill a loan.

Sure do not want to get into trouble with this but here was the situation. This took place in the haydays of ARMS. Single women 67, monthly income $1200. No relatives. New loan for $133,000. Payment on the loan $27 a month for 5 years. After 5 years (accruing 8% + negative interest each month) the payment would be about $2400 a month and would have a balance of about $193,000. (Don't remember all of the details).

When I was going over the HUD it stated that the demand on the 1st was not in. I questioned her about her existing first and asked if she had provided the information to the lender so they could order a demand. She said "You mean my Reverse Mortgage?". I was shocked! It turned out that she had a RM for $110,000. She wanted to new loan because she had purchased an air conditioner from Target and wanted to pay it off. The LO told her they would pay that off and her payment would only be $27 a month.

When I asked her if she really wanted to payoff the RM she kind of hemmed and hawed and without much conviction said she guessed not. I suggested that she call the LO and let him know that she did not want to payoff the RM. She did, he got mad and argued with her on the phone. We left and did not collect the $150 we were being paid (it was easy to give up the fee on this one. We did suggest that she get a hold of her lender and let them know that there was a company trying to get new loans with their customers who had RMs.

Later that afternoon the LO called me and screamed in the phone. What did I do to keep the lady from signing the docs? I told him she decided she did not want to pay off the RM.

A couple of weeks later I phoned her to see if she had spoken with her bank and to make sure she was ok. Yeah I know, out of line! She told me something that caused me to sit down and have a good cry. The LO and another "really nice man" came to see her a couple of days later. She signed the docs. That was 4 years ago and by this time next year she will no doubt be homeless.

What would you do? And I already know that there are those of you who will post the all too well known ..................... Shame on You messages. If you do not want to post your answer for all to see, send me a PM. I would like to see how you feel.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/3/10 1:58pm
Msg #330218

Re: A true story and a Shocker!!!!

Sounds like exploitation of the elderly to me - all for the sake of a few $$.. - too bad there wasn't an oversight agency to report this guy to - he deserves a new wardrobe of jumpsuits and bracelets for a few years...

MHO

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 4/3/10 8:53pm
Msg #330267

Re: A true story and a Shocker!!!!

How can these type of people sleep at night??

Reply by PJM/MI on 4/4/10 8:36am
Msg #330288

JUST a notayr

Hey People! This was to be a "light" post. Next time I am introduced as "just a notary" , I am going to say, "and this is just the LO"... with a smile on my face.

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/4/10 9:21am
Msg #330291

Re: JUST a notayr - now THAT'S funny PJM. :) n/m

Reply by PJM/MI on 4/5/10 6:19am
Msg #330348

OOPS! Dang fingers! n/m

Reply by PJM/MI on 4/5/10 6:19am
Msg #330349

OOPS! Dang fingers! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.