Notary Rotary
docs still not here and the appt was 45 minutes ago-- grrrrr
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Patti Corcoran on 4/26/10 9:45pm
Msg #333661

if they gave me regular business I would hang in there and go the extra mile, but it is already late here , grrrrr. Thanks for letting me vent!

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/26/10 9:58pm
Msg #333662

I hear ya! I decided to stop playing that game a long time ago, though. No docs? No appointment. If they make the appointment for me, then I have a drop dead time, or it's off.

There is no excuse for late docs, IMO, not as standard procedure. I just won't put up with it unless I'm being paid MUCH more.

And, it's okay by me... there are several other notaries in my town who will take those jobs for $80 (or less). They can have them. I can make that much (and more) on general notary work with none of the hassle and far fewer expenses.

I've been much less stressed out and far happier since I started enforcing the drop dead time. Sure, I might lose some work, but those aren't companies who share the same professional values I do anyway, so what do I care?

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 4/27/10 6:41am
Msg #333681

FASS called me at 9:30 last nite to close a loan. Ha ha ha, I was already in my PJ's not interested in going out. When they never call unless under duress I won't go the extra mile.
Maybe they will find someone to bkdate.

Reply by JulieD/KS on 4/27/10 8:30am
Msg #333703

Marian

I agree with you 100% and I am the same way! Of course...when I was new in the business, I let companies jerk me around with late docs...only to have them blame ME if something went wrong.
So, I consider any company that can't get docs out in a timely manner to be a potential problem signing...and I don't even want to be involved.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 4/27/10 12:38am
Msg #333669

I feel ya--I had two of those tonight with late docs. The promised "Docs in 15 minute" is just about as good as "the check is in the mail."

Arrrghh...

I don't promise nuthin' 'till I have a set of docs and a confirmed appointment, otherwise everything in this business is like nailing jello to a tree. arrgh..

It always seems worse at EOM too, doesn't it? It's like the Murphy's Law of NSA work... EOM docs have the highest propensity for being effed up it, incorrect, late or accidentally scanned in color resulting in a gigantic file that prints at a snail's pace...

Sympathies my friend--hang in there~

Reply by PA_Notary_II on 4/27/10 8:25am
Msg #333699

Re: docs still not here...same thing happened to me...

A well known national TC with a scheduled assignment for 7:30pm on a dead end dirt road out in the woods. Called for docs 3 times (JPM Chase loan) and was told it was in process. Had to make another closing and on returning to my office I found that the docs were in my mailbox with a time stamp of 7:59. Immediately sent off an email saying I couldn't accommodate them since they were so late in honoring their commitment. BTW the bwr knew nothing about the scheduling and had to change his plans to be available. Is this what this business is becoming? Less business to be had and while they (Lender and TC) had all day to put this together they couldn't get it done. No wonder Notaries are leaving the arena for greener pastures.

Reply by JulieD/KS on 4/27/10 8:28am
Msg #333701

That's why I always give a 3-hour deadline for docs. If they don't arrive, I remove the appointment from my schedule unless they want to pay me an additional $25/hour to wait by my computer. I learned years ago that these companies do not value my time and they will jerk me around and dangle me all day long ---- if I let them.

I don't let it happen. I have some staple companies who I work for and who always get their docs to me well in advance. It gives me even less incentive to work for those who can't get docs out in a timely manner.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/27/10 9:29am
Msg #333715

I hate being told "you will get the Docs shortly, just call the borrower now and set the signing time." Okay, So you do it and the borrower says, " great, I'm ready now". Dah.....

Reply by barkaroni on 4/27/10 10:03am
Msg #333724

Re: docs still not here and the appt was 45 minutes ago-- gr

Chase is the worse for sending out docs at the last minute. I like the idea of charging $25.00 extra for delay in docs.

Reply by Grammyzoom on 4/27/10 11:23am
Msg #333744

I don't know if this will help at all but,

Over the years we get to know whose docs are always late or won't arrive at all.

When we have signings from these companies who are notorious for not sending docs on time, I will usually be up front with the borrowers and let them know that there is a possibility that we may not have documents in time for their signing. Keeping that in mind I scheme with the borrowers to have a back up plan which is basically a second signing time. This can be for same day but later if the docs have to be signed same day, or if not, we set a time for the following day. Of course I always keep the borrower informed.

This came from the days when we were all running from one appointment to another and the first signing you had was Countrywide. (Sorry but they were the worst!) For the old timers you know what that meant! We are not as busy as we once were but do not want to be late for any appointment because the first one did not send the docs on time.

And one more thing for those of you who are true professionals. If a signing is cancelled by the lender, ALWAYS have give the courtesy of calling the borrowers to let them know that the signing has been cancelled or postponed. I have found that in 90% of these cases, no one ever informs the borrowers of the cancellation until it is way past the signing time. So the borrowers are waiting for you and getting more and more angry at YOU! This happened to us once with an young attorney and believe me it will never happen again.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 4/27/10 11:56am
Msg #333751

Exactly. Nothing beats keeping everyone in the loop. I

too don't pin down a time anymore unless I already have docs - I tell borrowers I'll call when I have docs all printed, and go from there. Lately, late, or a "not today" docs are the norm. Our borrowers' time is just as valuable as everyone else's, and I know they appreciate the heads-up about timing.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/27/10 1:01pm
Msg #333761

Re: I don't know if this will help at all but,

Yep!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.