expanding on your thread: Michigan Bar Plain English Ack
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Julie/MI on 4/19/10 3:26pm
Msg #332353

http://www.michbar.org/generalinfo/plainenglish/PDFs/91_mar.pdf

Although the above article from the Michigan Bar Association was from 1991, I think some of you may see the relevance, especially since the article references 20 states that recognize acknowledgements from other states.

The author's opinion would probably make the CA legislature faint as it seems the Plain English Acknowledgment is so simple....wonder if CA is one of the 20 states?

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/19/10 3:35pm
Msg #332359

Our Ack. in Florida is as plain as you can get...

"The foregoing instrument was acknowledged before me this ___ day of _____, 20___, by _____, who is personally known to me or has produced _________ as identification".

In reality, I think the best acknowledgment certificates are the ones that describe the exact process used by the notary:

"I Hereby Certify that on this 19th day of April, 2010, before me, the undersigned authority, personally appeared _______, who produced ____________ as identification, and he/she acknowledged before me that he/she voluntarily executed the foregoing instrument."

Reply by MW/VA on 4/19/10 4:08pm
Msg #332366

Re: Our Ack. in Florida is as plain as you can get...

FL is unique in that it includes the words, "or has produced ________ as identification".
I see that language on a lot of my signings & I comply. We do accommodate docs drawn in other states with slightly different language.
BTW, Robert, have you joined the American Society of Notaries, which is out of Tallahassee, FL.
They are a great authoritative source.

Reply by Robert/FL on 4/19/10 4:23pm
Msg #332368

Yes, I'm a member of ASN, AAN, and Notary Law Institute

...but to be honest, I don't know if I will be renewing any of them when my membership expires. None of them have really given me any extraordinary information that I couldn't find elsewhere.

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/19/10 5:04pm
Msg #332375

Re: Yes, I'm a member of ASN, AAN, and Notary Law Institute

*None of them have really given me any extraordinary information that I couldn't find elsewhere.*

Hopefully, not...otherwise it would likely be a bunch of baloney. The only information disseminated by those types of organizations should be based on credible information from such as notary law/rules which are published by the commissioning offices of notaries public. Extraordinary information doesn't fit into that category. However, "the big" organization does seem to find extraordinary information on occasion...or so some seem to think. Smile

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/19/10 5:01pm
Msg #332374

" American Society of Notaries, which is out of Tallahassee, FL.
They are a great authoritative source"

They are the best - and definitely for the notary, unlike XYZ

Reply by Maureen_nh on 4/19/10 9:07pm
Msg #332424

I also support the ASN and have found them to be informative and ethical.

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/19/10 3:40pm
Msg #332363

Julie - ours are like MI's. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.