Notary Rotary
help
Notary Discussion History

help
Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Rebecca Hogan on 4/3/10 11:14pm
Msg #330274

help

I am new to Notary Business How do I get these Companies to call me and Hire me?

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/3/10 11:55pm
Msg #330278

Okay, I'm going to be kind of blunt. If you don't know the answer to that... you're not "in" the business yet, you're just researching it. Do you have a business plan?

Start with the search function here, and try "newbie" -- you'll find TONS of information.

Also, search for Message # 33325. Some of the earlier information in that thread is out of date, but much of it still applies.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 4/4/10 1:37am
Msg #330280

Dear Ms. Hogan:

Thank you for your inquiry. As you may know, the mobile notary business has fallen off measurably with the near-collapse of the banking and loan industry, making this profession evermore scarce and extremely competitive.

Not knowing your situtation, let's assume you have no job, and heard that this was a quick and easy way to earn a living:

1. Take advantage of Spring and create instant income by whipping up some simple posters, then place them around your local neighborhood grocery/hardware/etc. store bulletin boards - babysit, mow lawns, spiff up gardens, walk dogs, run errands for the elderly, clean homes and small offices - anything that generates a daily cash-flow. For a lucrative physical job to get you through the Summer, take the State's Traffic Control/Flagging course and once certified, apply to flagging, paving, sand and gravel companies for good summer work - companies that work on federal roadwork pay Davis-Bacon with benefits and retirement.

2. After putting in a good day's work, come back here and take the advice of the old pros who have taught on this board for years, they will guide you to the resources here. Read, and read, and read, and take organized notes until you can't read another word.

3. Have you ever grown a business? Some excellent marketers here have written great primers for selling your services - LauraV's work has wide support for excellence, as an example.

4. In your spare time, perhaps look into a Community College class or two in English and Writing, Basic Accounting, and the Ethics class in the Legal Assistant program. Get Red Cross Certified in CPR which, will help you no matter what you're doing for a living.

5. Check out opportunities at your Community College while you're taking #4's suggested preparatory classes for training opportunities in other sectors which probably have a better success rate than trying to break into this business during this flat period.

Best of luck, Ms. Hogan. Here's wishing you well.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 4/4/10 6:07am
Msg #330283

I've been in this biz since 2005 and my phone is barely ringing right now. Things are SLOW - it's not a good time to jump into this business...

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 4/4/10 7:25am
Msg #330285

Rebecca you've gotten by easily. The responses were gentle. Finding jobs are going to be very difficult for you since there are loads of highly experienced closing agents across the U.S. and many are starving. You need to find another source of income. Do yourself a favor forget this.

Reply by Maranga Ink Resources on 4/4/10 8:41am
Msg #330289

You have to add: after all the reading, following instructions, gas skyrocketting prices, office supllies, breaking your legs, you are still not pay zip, zero, because as the market is right now, many of those companies closed doors before sending you your payment.
You should be looking not just a Spring or Summer job, better say look for a permanent office position.
Anyway, good luck when taking any examinations, certifications and criminal background.

Reply by MW/VA on 4/4/10 7:42pm
Msg #330332

I'm hoping you didn't give the major notary association your

money to get into this business. They keep marketing this as a lucrative profession.
Pickings are very slim these days.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 4/4/10 9:03pm
Msg #330340

Re: I'm hoping you didn't give the major notary association your

And if you do get a call..please please do not take a low fee..Only take closings with fees of $100.00 or higher!

Reply by Cari on 4/5/10 8:06am
Msg #330352

Excellent Point Claudine! NO FEES UNDER $100....

the ONLY way you'll make some profit is taking jobs over this amount...stick to your guns, DO NOT GO LOWER, despite what some Signing Services (SS) or Title Companies (TC) may say. $75 for electronic docs (edocs) are just not acceptable!

Do the SEARCH on this forum....VERY VERY HELPFUL!

GOOD LUCK!

Reply by MW/VA on 4/5/10 2:50pm
Msg #330416

That's my fee structure, also. Even so, it is hard to tell

someone new who may not know what they're doing to charge the same fees as experienced pros.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.