Notary Rotary
iMac Computer
Notary Discussion History

iMac Computer
Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by MT/IL on 4/16/10 2:04am
Msg #331948

iMac Computer

I just bought a new computer and I am having problems printing my loan packages. I have a HP 2 tray printer and when I had Microsoft Office it would determine which size paper to print the loan package based on the PDF size. I can't get the iMac to do this. I have tried and tried, but it won't do it. Does anybody have an iMac or a Mac and know if this option is available? I thought it might be something with Adobe Reader, but still no luck. Best Buy reps can't figure it out either. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Reply by Julie/MI on 4/16/10 6:42am
Msg #331949

HP and Mac not very compatible

I hate windows and if I wasn't in the business, I'd have a Mac as my husband does.

Those that have Brother printers seem to not have the problems.

I think it's that HP doesn't recongnize the drivers of a Mac, or something along those lines.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 4/16/10 11:13am
Msg #331983

I say this as a person who owns an Apple computer but

I use a PC for business. Macs in general are wonderful for graphics, music and video editing but pretty useless for business uses because pc's are used in 98% of all businesses and the applications are windows slanted these days. In the early days of computers in business, the programs were Unix based and that is when Apple had their chance to get that market, as their operating systems are Unix based and it would have been compatible in the early 80s. I remember when Apple was trying to break into large retail. The problem was Apple was telling us how we should be using computers rather than addressing our unique concerns. Enter Microsoft who listened to our concerns and wrote programs to address our concerns. End of the Apple story.

You are right in assuming that the way Adobe works with OSX is an issue. Adobe wants some codes from Apple to work and Apple wants payments for those codes. Isn't going to happen anytime soon.

All that being said, you can go back to your apple store and ask them about a Windows Emulation program called "Parallels". It will enable you to run Windows on your Mac to your satisfaction, although some things still won't work the same but you will be able to run the version of Adobe that will allow your printer to change paper sizes automatically. You still have to buy a copy of Windows.

In the long run, you will find it cheaper and simpler to buy a cheap Dell or other brand laptop with Windows to do your notary business and enjoy your iMac for what it does best-- video, graphics, music and games. You will find it much easier to do that.

Reply by MT/IL on 4/16/10 1:24pm
Msg #332010

Re: I say this as a person who owns an Apple computer but

Wow, sounds like you know your computers. Thank you for the info. I bought Microsoft Office for Mac hoping that might resolve the issue. When I am in the Adobe Reader window, I see under document properties a PDF Setting for a paper source by paper size: NO. It's not highlighted to let me change it. The last two days I have been using my lap top to print packages. It's a pain to keep plugging and unplugging the printer, etc.

Again, thank you for your help. I will look into what you advised.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 4/16/10 1:57pm
Msg #332016

Call an Apple store and ask them about running a dual boot system. That way, you have a clean application for printing your loan docs without going through all the emulator transitions. What will happen, when you turn your computer on, a menu will give you a choice of what system to run. The Apple Store will also let you play on their computers to see what will work best for you. I

Right now, choosing between page sizes only works in Windows .......

One more thought also. I have a wireless print server that my printers are plugged into. I can print from any computer in my house to either of my document printers or my ink jet to print photographs. So I can choose between printing from the Mac or windows machine without actually changing connections. My Apple and Windows desktops are connected with a Cat-5 cable, and my family's laptops print through wireless. Or if I have a visitor that want's to print wireless from their laptop, it is a simple thing to load the wireless connection to their laptop. The print servers are actually not that expensive and may actually be less trouble than trying to run an emulation program or dual boot on your iMac ... But if you are not familiar with these systems, get help. But go to an Apple Store first. You don't take a BMW to a Chevy dealer for service.

Reply by MT/IL on 4/17/10 12:08am
Msg #332089

I, too, have my one printer wireless. My two-tray is not wireless. I bought it a few years ago. At least now, I know where the problem is and I can fix it. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was going on. Thanks again for your help!

Reply by trnsa_IL on 4/16/10 12:06pm
Msg #331999

My husband and son both use Mac computers, and my next computer will be a Mac. My son runs Windows on his Macbook. My husband prints from his Mac to my HP printer all the time without issues. I just spoke with him, and he said there are three ways to run Windows on your Mac.
He sent this link, and all of the information is there.

http://www.applematters.com/article/three-ways-to-run-windows-on-your-mac

Good Luck

Reply by MT/IL on 4/16/10 1:31pm
Msg #332011

Is your HP printer a two tray? If so, do you ever print your loan packages from his Mac and it chooses the paper source by PDF page size? The iMac takes some getting use to. I have always worked on Windows. Thank you and your husband for your help!

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 4/16/10 1:40pm
Msg #332012

That's right, there is different things you can do to run windows on a Mac. But unless you have a good understanding on how the operating systems and emulation programs work together, you risk digging yourself into a deep, deep hole. I spent over a day getting my nephew out of a problem with his Mac when he tried to use Virtual PC to run a windows program that crashed his entire system. I was trying to keep my advice simple.

Forget those guys at Best Buy and other big boxers if you run into problems. That's why I recommended taking your computer to a real Apple Store if you want to either run a dual boot or a Windows emulator. They are the best as they are trained in Mac systems and that is their passion. The big box guys are PC guys pretending to know something about Mac's

However, in my opinion, when Apple went to the Intel chips, they lost any advantage they had over PCs as they use the same processors, same memory, same brands hard drives, power supplies etc. I have actually dual booted Mac's OSX into my Dell computer. Not a problem. The only thing that drives Mac sales is the lack of viruses and spyware which is nice when surfing. That is the operating system, not the computer. I am hoping that with the introduction of an Apple manufactured processor in the iPad, they will start developing their own processors for their future computers. The old IBM PowerPC G5 CPU in my Mac desktop is still faster than the new quad core processors of today. Unfortunately, the cost issue forced Apple into Intel chips.

Reply by trnsa_IL on 4/16/10 2:52pm
Msg #332019

<<"But unless you have a good understanding on how the operating systems and emulation programs work together, you risk digging yourself into a deep, deep hole.......

That's why I recommended taking your computer to a real Apple Store if you want to either run a dual boot or a Windows emulator. They are the best as they are trained in Mac systems and that is their passion. The big box guys are PC guys pretending to know something about Mac's">>

I completely agree with Glenn. Although my husband and son are both "passionate" about Macs and have "fixed" many Mac's for friends and neighbors, if you do not understand how it works yourself it could be a big problem.

I was trying to suggest that the Windows version of Adobe be used through the Windows programs on a Mac since printing by page size is only a Windows option. While I do plan on purchasing a Mac for my business I have the advantage of "Mac Guys" living in my home who will take care of all my needs.

Again Good Luck..

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.