legal vs letter

i dont have a dual tray Frown
but im getting more and more request for letter size printing only
anyone else?
paper cuts getting treacherous?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/9/10 1:34pm
Msg #330998

Re: legal vs letter...sorry..I don't see the problem here

You don't need a dual-tray printer to print on letter-size only. If you're instructed to print on all letter only...then only put letter-size paper in the printer. If you don't keep your office routinely stocked with at least a small amount of letter-size paper, then IMO you really should.

MHO

Reply by BossLadyMD on 4/9/10 1:41pm
Msg #331000

i think you read too much into it

I dont have a dual tray and understand one is not needed for letter-size only. I was just 'thinking out loud' that all of the lenders, TC, I am working with now want letter-size only, nothing on legal size. I actually prefer it this way.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/9/10 1:43pm
Msg #331001

Okay..apologies...I responded to the statement as

it was made...I probably misunderstood...Smile

I've had two letter-size only signings in almost 4 years in the business....wish they were all letter size..

Reply by Rich/PA on 4/9/10 1:59pm
Msg #331004

Re: Okay..apologies...I responded to the statement as

Legal size paper does seem to be a waste - but then again it helps to get rid of those pesky trees that give us oxygen.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 4/9/10 6:46pm
Msg #331053

No that's BofA packages your thinking of. :-) n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/9/10 2:08pm
Msg #331007

Almost all my signing are letter size with the exception being about nine pages of legal size stuff. HUD, Credit score, TIL

Reply by Cari on 4/9/10 2:16pm
Msg #331009

I can't remember the last time I did a closing where the

docs were required to be printed out on legal size paper.....thank goodness too - legal size paper is so expensive!

Reply by LKT/CA on 4/9/10 2:43pm
Msg #331013

So far, I've only had one request for letter only printing. I too, have single tray laser printers and print in all legal. Some instructions actually say to print in all legal size. In the absence of instructions, I print in all legal. The signing I completed a week ago, the two files emailed to me were separated by paper size - one pdf was all legal and the other one was all letter and the instructions stated that they would be.

Since I have two laser printers, I can send one file to one printer (letter paper in tray) and the other file to the other printer (legal paper in tray). I wish more edocs were sent that way.

Reply by SReis on 4/9/10 2:57pm
Msg #331016

Dual Tray printers are SOOOO worth it.

I had single tray for about 3 yrs & always would switch out or print all legal. But found a dual tray on craigslist that I got for a great price & it was actually the exact brand/model I had been shopping for. Best investment I ever made. You should keep your eyes peeled for good deals on craigslist, well worth it.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/9/10 11:10pm
Msg #331094

Re: Dual Tray printers are SOOOO worth it.

I agree. I found a very good one not too long ago on eBay for an excellent price - even after the hefty shipping cost. One of the better investments I've ever made. Like Shoshana, my first laser printer was an HP 3330 all-in-one, which was what everyone seemed to be recommending at the time. After approximately 170,000 pages, it's still printing, but now I use it as a back-up. My "new" dual tray is almost twice as fast, the toner cartridge handles several times more pages - and it actually lets me know when it's running out (unlike the 3330...) so no more wasting paper printing partial pages or blanks! Smile I wish I had one long ago!!

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 4/9/10 10:52pm
Msg #331088

Most printers don't come dual trayed

You usually have to purchase the 2nd tray.

Try Ebay, for instance, to purchase a 2nd tray. This is what I did a couple ago for my (2) Brother MFC 8860 dn printers.

The most expensive option is to buy directly from HP or Brother/etc.

Reply by MW/VA on 4/9/10 2:57pm
Msg #331015

I do have a dual tray printer. Most of the signings I'm doing still have the majority of docs on legal size paper. There is one tc the requests all docs "shrink to fit" on letter-size. It's a PIA, because the print is so small the borrowers can hardly read anything. The signature lines are also tiny & it's a squeeze to get their names into the space.
IMO I don't think we'll see an end to legal size docs anytime in the near future.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 4/9/10 3:37pm
Msg #331022

Its hard to phathom not having a dual tray printer. Its also hard to understand why when you bought your very first printer and investing in your equipment for your business that it wasn't dual tray. Just doesn't make sense to me. It is just so much more cost efficient and professional. I am really surprised that companies don't require it of us. They should. JMO

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 4/9/10 3:44pm
Msg #331024

My first back in 2002 was a multifunction machine.

They didn't come dual tray. I now have one dual tray and two single trays in addition to the mfc.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 4/9/10 4:15pm
Msg #331026

Sorry Shoshana. Didn't realize that. Technology changes

so fast. I started this over 5years ago and started out with a dual tray.

Reply by Grammyzoom on 4/9/10 4:46pm
Msg #331027

Ideally

all of us would have dual tray laser printers. For the first couple years as a signer, I could not afford to purchase a good laser printer and was thrilled when we got our first one. For those who are new to this business it is fair to expect that they will not start out with this rather expensive equipment.

Regarding the legal/letter thing, a number of companies request that you use all legal paper but if you call and let them know you are capable of printing per the PDF size inbedded in the documents they give the ok to mix. They are protecting themselves from having anyone with a single tray printer, printing everything on letter size which would distort the print on those documents intended to be printed on legal. And, I am sure we all have our favorite places to purchase paper. Ours is Costco, the prices are really good and they do deliver.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 4/9/10 4:52pm
Msg #331029

I was lucky in that I was on Workers Comp.

Voc Rehab paid for my startup costs. That's why I bought my pricey HP3330.

Reply by parkerc/ME on 4/9/10 4:49pm
Msg #331028

Also depends on your workload

Those who are doing this work part-time (and lately it seems we all are!) without the volume of workload of others probably choose not want to invest in a dual tray. I've gotten along fine with a single tray multifunction, just print out all legal pages first then letter last. 15 seconds to change the tray.

Reply by LKT/CA on 4/9/10 7:39pm
Msg #331060

<<<Its also hard to understand why when you bought your very first printer and investing in your equipment for your business that it wasn't dual tray. Just doesn't make sense to me. >>>

Before I became a notary, I had a small color inkjet printer that worked for my needs. When I took a classroom loan signing course, it was mentioned to buy a laser printer and why (dry toner vs. wet ink). Single tray vs. dual tray was not explained. When I'm ready to replace the printers, for sure they'll be dual tray.

Reply by Doris_CO on 4/9/10 5:57pm
Msg #331047

Are you saying you're printing all the docs on legal size paper and then cutting those pages that should be letter size with a paper cutter?

Reply by Doris_CO on 4/9/10 6:15pm
Msg #331049

I hope that question didn't come across in the wrong tone. I thought that's what I understood in your first post.

Reply by BossLadyMD on 4/10/10 7:41pm
Msg #331191

lol...no, doris, i got a case of legal paper just..

sitting here. at this juncture, i can skip the dual tray for right now cause my clients want letter only..with only about 9 or so on legal. thanks for the response!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.