name on loan docs for spouse does not match her ca id
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Camellia Preciado on 4/8/10 9:36pm
Msg #330873

Hi I am a new signing agent ,and my first signing will be tomorrow,
I would really appreciate some feed back,I am so nervouse and cant seem to find this info in my hand book.

So I have contacted the borrows to confirm the appointment for tomorrow,the husband tells me that his wife name on ID is(for example)"John Doe Lee Doe"(she has two middle names) and the loan docs that they received from the lender are "John Doe Doe" they are missing one of her middle names .
Do these docs need to be changed by the lender to show both middle names?

please advise if her id can even be considerd as satisfactory identification to proceed with the signing.

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Reply by John/CT on 4/8/10 9:44pm
Msg #330874

Follow instructions in your handbook. But ...

the general rule followed by most (if not all) is more (names) on the ID is OK, less is not OK. In your case, it would be OK, as long as she signs EXACTLY as her name is printed on the dox.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/8/10 11:45pm
Msg #330889

I agree with John. They will have the documents drawn up in whatever name they used to buy the property originally, unless they have recorded something to change it since. They can't just arbitrarily redraw docs in another name. And it's very common for people to not necessarily use their full name -- whether it's loan docs or any other kind of document you might find yourself notarizing. You just want to make sure that there isn't any part of their name on the document that IS NOT on their ID. They seldom match exactly.

Frankly, this isn't really a signing agent question, but a very basic Notary 101 question - and at the very heart of what we do as a notary public. If you're not clear on this, I suggest you go back and reread your handbook a few times and/or sign up for some more training. There are several good programs available right here from Notary Rotary. There have also been many discussions on this board of what is considered proper ID. You might find that helpful, as well.

Good luck - and don't forget to triple check your work!

Reply by Camellia Preciado on 4/9/10 12:33am
Msg #330891

Re: thanks

Thanks you two,I have been reading and reading the state handbook all night,I agree in this kind of business you have to keep your self informed.Its a shame in california that after passing the state test it takes an additional 12 weeks until you get your commission cert and seal,it was just a matter of refreshing my memory,12 weeks is a long time waiting,and long enough for me to forget some things.However I am very thankful for this web site and you notaries being available to ask questions and get informative responces like both of yours,my nerves are cooling down now and I think I am ready ,but only time will tell.I admire those who have been in the business long.It takes allot of patience and knowledge.So thanks again ,good night notariesSmile

Reply by Philip Johnson on 4/9/10 11:05am
Msg #330954

Why would California require a signed piece of ID if

it doesn't mean anything? Lets say she signs her name Joanne doe doe Johnson on her license, but you are saying it's okay for her to sign Joanne Doe Johnson. Then why bother with the requirement that an ID have a signature on it? What if her name was Joanne Doe Thompson-Johnson? Would the more is less rule apply?

Aren't you who you are on the ID you presented and not 1/4 less because someone down the line decided what your name should be?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.