Notary Rotary
new notary quick question/urgent
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Camellia Preciado on 4/9/10 10:38pm
Msg #331087

I went to a borrowers house today ,they had the docs and most of the docs that needed to be norized for example the Quikclam deed, gave the option of a Jurat or acknowledgement on bottom of page,they had the state and county already preprinted ,but it was a differnt state and county that the signing actually took place /should I cross out that and put the correct information,plus the wording for both the jurat and acknowledgement state"Whom I am personally aquanted"

Shoul I just cross out both and attache a califonia all purpose Jurat?

Please help

Thanks

Reply by LKT/CA on 4/9/10 10:57pm
Msg #331089

It is a QUITclaim deed, not Quikclaim.

When the venue is preprinted with a city/state other than where your feet are planted, where the signing is taking place AND the wording in the certificate is not compliant with CA, then yes, you can attach an all-purpose compliant Acknowledgment or Jurat.

Print a copy of the handbook and get to know it well.

http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/notary/forms/notary-handbook-2010.pdf

Also, at the SOS website, you can print certificates free (as many as you need).

http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/notary/forms/notary_ack.pdf

http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/notary/forms/notary_jurat.pdf

Reply by rengel/CA on 4/9/10 11:01pm
Msg #331090

Go to your Notary Handbook

www.sos.ca.gov

This is Notary 101. You should know this. I would suggest re-reading the handbook and taking another Notary class.

My .02

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 4/9/10 11:07pm
Msg #331092

First of all, it's a Quitclaim Deed, which you can read on the doc.
Second, the state and county (venue) is where your feet are planted when the signers appear before you. So, yes, line through the incorrect preprinted state and county, write in the correct venue and initial.
Third, it appears that neither the ack nor the jurat is CA compliant; so yes, attach a CA ack and/or jurat.
You might also consider taking a how-to-sign-a-loan class to help you out in future signings.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 4/10/10 12:13am
Msg #331098

Have you taken a loan signing class?

I know you had to take the required notary class to be commissioned. You may consider reading the notary handbook every night for the next few weeks to memorize it and then still carry it with you for reference.

What you're asking is notary 101.

Don't want to "sound" harsh. But, you're doing a disservice to the borrower(s) as well as yourself. Please, please do everyone a favor and invest in some study time.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/10/10 12:13am
Msg #331099

The others didn't mention that CA notary law prohibits us from deciding what type of notarization to use, so if you're not sure which one is required, you should ask your client - or just do one of each. The Jurat must ALWAYS have the CA compliant language. For an Acknowledgment, if the document is for an out-of-state property and you *know* that the pre-printed language is the language that is required in the place where the document will be recorded (e.g. on a Deed of Trust, Quit Claim Deed, etc.) and if that language does not conflict with CA notary law, you can use what is provided. Short of that, you should use the California All Purpose Acknowledgment.

As you know, there is a lot of the borrowers' and lender's money depending on you getting this right! Frankly, it sounds like you were on the right track - i.e. you recognized that the wording is not acceptable - but you're just lacking confidence. However, I think you should study these notary basics again and again until you're comfortable with them before you do any more signings. jmho.

Reply by LKT/CA on 4/10/10 12:16am
Msg #331101

Also...

Use the orange search button and enter 33325. Read the entire thread. Those posts will probably have the answers to other questions that you may be thinking about. Chances are high that the questions you have have already been asked and answered. The orange search button is your friend, so is the handbook.

Reply by Hugh Nations Signing Agents of Austin on 4/10/10 1:09am
Msg #331103

You didn't by any chance agree to accept this signing for $60-75, did you?

Reply by ko/FL on 4/10/10 8:04am
Msg #331112

Camilla,

Take Carol class at Notary2Pro, it will be the best $100 you spent. After you take the class on line she will take any question you have at a signing up to 6 months.

Good Luck,

Reply by HARRY_PA on 4/10/10 8:23am
Msg #331113

April fool?

I believe that this is mole season.

Harry

Reply by Tara Perry Professional Signings on 4/10/10 8:51am
Msg #331116

Re: April fool?

I agree - take Carol's Notary 2Pro class. I just had a signing and she went over it page by page with me to make sure I didn't miss anything. If you need a mentor, she is wonderful..... or you can always come on here and ask a question and get beat up

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/10/10 12:19pm
Msg #331132

Re: April fool?

I use to feel that same way....but I figured it out. No one knows who you are, your demeanor or character or sensitivity level. We all read the post and respond based on what we interpret what's being said. Bottom line, don't take a flower with you if you're going into a bull ring. There is more to gain here regarding notary work than you may think. IMO

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.