Notary Rotary
regarding a blind signer.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Mung/CA on 4/21/10 1:03am
Msg #332660

Has anyone ever had a blind signer? If so what special arrangements were made? I have a blind signer coming up and was just wondering what other notaries did.

Thanks!

Reply by Susan Fischer on 4/21/10 2:08am
Msg #332663

Yes. A successful businessman, whose wife was a perfect

facilator...he listened to each pages' description, she read off pertinent info, and positioned his hands on the sig lines, indicating when a date was required as well.

Went swimmingly.

Disregard any pre-conceived notions about blindness, focus on communication and precise positioning of your paperwork before the signer's assistant, and assume competence of both. Consistency is a critical element - and remember to look at both your signer and the 'interpreter', even though you may not actually be seen by the borrower, only heard with exacting ears.

Ask if there will be a sighted helper when confirming. Be honest with the borrower, and you'll do fine.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 4/21/10 5:30am
Msg #332666

I recently had a private call from a blind man who needed his signature on one document notarized. His wife came with him but he was definitely in charge. He had a state-issued ID card and he asked me to place my finger on the signature lines for my journal and for the document. Each time, he felt for where my finger was and he then placed his own finger there and signed with the other hand.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 4/21/10 5:44am
Msg #332667

Make sure they have an ID. My last blind signer did not and had to go get one. Her husband was the new Pastor at a local church and they did not know a lot of people locally for credible witness.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/21/10 5:56am
Msg #332668

Check your handbook or with your SOS

Here in FL our law is clear...§117.05(14)(a), Fla. Stat....WE are required to read the document to the signer before notarization and it's suggested we may add a statement in our certificate that we complied with the requirement..i.e. "I further certify that I read the document to (name of signer) prior to notarization."

I disagree with one statement made here - "assume competence" - IMO you NEVER assume anything, especially competence, and in the event of the signer using an assistant, be wary of coercion.

Again, I'd check the handbook and with the SOS for proper procedure with this.

MHO

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 4/21/10 8:19am
Msg #332672

WE are required to read the document to the signer.

Same here. Thankfully never had a blind loan signer.
I would be sound asleep by about page 5 or the standard mortgage.

Reply by Cari on 4/21/10 10:18am
Msg #332691

perhaps in those circumstances we can charge by the hour ;) n/m

Reply by Julie/MI on 4/21/10 6:14am
Msg #332669

I closed a husband and wife in her hospital bed...diabetes had robbed her of her eyesite 20 years prior and she was recovering from an amputitation which is why we were closing at the hospital. Her only id (this was ins 2001) was her 25 year old expired drivers license. But it was her and I was thankful my state didn't make this woman and husband jump through hoops.

Any way, she said they had been married for 40 years and they were just mortgage docs and I put the pen on the signature line and away she signed--still beautiful penmanship...she said she went to Catholic School and we had a nice chuckle.

Very pleasant closing.

Now in my state, if the signer is blind, the notary can sign for the person along with special wordiing that needs to be added. Since not all docs were notarized, this didn't happen, plus she wanted to sign--piece of cake!

Reply by Roger_OH on 4/21/10 10:56am
Msg #332701

I had a gentleman who had a slotted card that he had me place on the sig lines, and he just signed within the slot - very easy.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.