Notary Rotary
what would you do?
Notary Discussion History

what would you do?
Go Back to April, 2010 Index

Posted by Jessica Ward on 4/27/10 5:43pm
Msg #333855

what would you do?

I did a closing for Fortis last night. Was put on the HUD as promised to ensure prompt payment. Went to drop docs today and their Fedex account is cash-only now, despite instructions in my confirmation to charge that account. Fedex won't allow me to drop the docs.

No returned phone or emails from Fortis for direction and the last FedEx pickup is 5:30 tonight.

What would you do?

This is a closing from yesterday, so docs are already one day old. Any ideas?

Jessica

Reply by jba/fl on 4/27/10 5:46pm
Msg #333856

Call the LO, call every number you have.

Send emails to every address you have too; advise that you are holding for account number and will not send unless they provide valid number.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 4/27/10 5:49pm
Msg #333858

Re: Call the LO, call every number you have.

I sent an email to the LO, which I REALLY didn't want to do, but upon thinking about it, since I haven't worked for this title Co before, the other option was to risk being out both my fee and the Fedex, and I'd rather cut my losses with minor bad manners than major financial losses.

I'm not a fan at all of the idea of holding docs hostage. I don't think it's ethical. Arrrghh.. the dilemma.

Reply by jba/fl on 4/27/10 6:26pm
Msg #333879

Re: Call the LO, call every number you have.

Emails are useless - get the LO's number from the 1003. He's got big money on the line, not the small amount of your bill. If he or she doesn't answer, go for a supervisor.

I also would contact FedEx by phone asking what happens if the package is scanned, found that the account number is no longer valid. Do they dead letter it? or is it sent on to its destination? RTC expires Thurs midnight if you signed last night so if it doesn't go today (Tues,) it can still be there in time for Thurs. if leaves you on Wed.

Someone will call on Wed. wanting to know where the package is - that is when they are expecting it. I would wait because there is no way I am going to pay and I don't want to see my package get dead-letter status.

You need to make some calls. Then let us know what Fed Ex says also.

Reply by A S Johnson on 4/27/10 5:49pm
Msg #333860

I can promise you this is one of the very few times I would suggest this. Fill out he airbill, Do Not put your name, address or any thing on the airbill to tie you to this shipment. Drop it in a drop box. Now it is the copamny you worked for problem.
In my case I most likely would have called the Title/Escrow co, explained the problem and ask if they had a shipping account# I could use.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 4/27/10 5:51pm
Msg #333861

Multiple calls and emails--none returned or answered to Title/Escrow.

I'm thinking dropping the partially completed airbill in the box is favorable to holding docs hostage, but it also seems shady.

Why is the high road so damn expensive?

Reply by MikeC/NY on 4/27/10 5:54pm
Msg #333864

Unless you're able to get in contact with them and work this out, if you pay for the shipping they may not reimburse you. Holding onto the docs is not an option either. Use a hand-written label that has them as both sender and receiver, and drop them in a drop box. Make note of the tracking number on the label so you can track the package. The bill will go to them, and it's not your problem anymore.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/27/10 5:55pm
Msg #333865

Totally agree with MikeC

E-mail the tracking number to the company.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 4/27/10 5:56pm
Msg #333867

Mike--perfect. I hadn't thought of doing it this way. Thank you!

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/27/10 6:19pm
Msg #333876

I'm undecided between Mike's advice or paying for it myself or giving the package to the borrower and explaining what the problem is. Boy, I hope this NEVER happens to me.

Reply by jba/fl on 4/27/10 6:33pm
Msg #333881

I don't think I would involve the BO. I would wait another day though, Someone will be calling about the missing package on Wed. when it is expected.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/27/10 7:11pm
Msg #333889

Re: variables?

loosing loan lock-in rate? closing date a week out, all play in important role on what you must do. My goal would be to satisfy the borrower. Let's see, the last time I did that, I was sued by the SS. I have no doubt I did what was right, I kept the BO out of it. But boy, did I get a headache.

Reply by Regal/NC on 4/27/10 6:32pm
Msg #333880

Use airbill with TC as sender/receiver, drop in box n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 4/27/10 6:42pm
Msg #333883

I just called FedEx 800#

If that package has no valid account number, if they are cash only, that package will sit wherever you drop if off and go no further. It will not be shipped, it will not be scanned so there will be no tracking information.

Reply by CF on 4/27/10 7:11pm
Msg #333888

It is not your problem and most people would have never

known about the issue, that is, people who only use drop boxes. I use the same couple of boxes for every shipment. You have done your due diligence ....they know their account is on cash only terms; do not be fooled into paying for the shipping.

Reply by MW/VA on 4/27/10 7:23pm
Msg #333891

Re: I just called FedEx 800#

That's what I suspected would happen. The pkg. will be treated like a dead letter file.
It's a horrible situation to be in, but I would call the LO for an account no.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 4/28/10 12:05am
Msg #333919

Re: Use airbill with TC as sender/receiver, drop in box

Thanks--I did this. Hoping it works OK. Their docs will be later than expected but still within the rescission period. I did due diligence--emailed and called several times. Called LO and got the same acct number that didn't work and finally dropped docs--(like a hot potato, let me tell you!). I never called the borrower. I don't know what they'd be able to do about it, so no use in stressing them.

I figure if my client isn't paying FedEx, there's no way they're paying me... so I'll be pleasantly surprised if I get a check.

Then again, it could just be a miscommunication and a series of unfortunate events--but I don't want to get sued due to their unfortunate events. Likewise, I'm not going to risk my fee plus $80+ for priority overnight shipping for a company I've never worked with before. If it was one of my regulars I would have covered it without a second thought. No answer, no callbacks and no emails plus bad FedEx account set the tone for me though....

Ugh!

Ugh. I so seldom ever have one of these things that set me on edge, but I've had a few of them in the last few days.... Thinking about cutting my client list back to just my few favorites and spending a lot more energy in my other business.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 4/27/10 7:55pm
Msg #333895

Absolutely do NOT pay for that shipment yourself. If the TC is on cash-only terms with FedEx, there must be a reason. Pay for that shipment and you will be chasing your money until the cows come home!

I would call TC and ask how they want you to proceed. But absolutely do NOT agree to pay for that shipment when they ask you to! The L/O can give his credit card # if necessary - I think there a place for that on the airbill...

Reply by Jessica Ward on 4/28/10 12:11am
Msg #333920

Aw hell--I did make many calls to the TC (none returned) ditto on emails. I called the LO and got only the same acct number and after-hours, so no callbacks. I emailed back saying that's the only acct number that I had, so I had to drop the docs in hopes they'd arrive in time.

I'm thinking I did everything I can outside of paying for the shipment which was outside of my contract--I followed my instructions. I don't like the idea of leaving them in a lurch, but at this point I have good reason to expect they're leaving me in a lurch... so I wasn't going to go further in the hole for them. As I've said, for one of my regular clients I'd pay for the shipment, no problem.

Hopefully they can contact FedEx and bail it out with their credit cards or something.

Reply by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 4/28/10 6:15am
Msg #333933

I'd pay the shipping costs and notify TITLE, add to bill... n/m

Reply by Colleen Martin on 4/28/10 9:19am
Msg #333937

Re: I'd pay the shipping costs and notify TITLE, add to bill...

hey jessica,
you did exactly the right thing.....if you had paid for the shipping, you'd be out that, plus your signing fee. if their account with fedex is "cash only" it seems they haven't been paying their fedex bill. yikes.

Reply by UKCowboy_CA on 4/28/10 10:09am
Msg #333942

Yeah! They love people like you. Not only do they stiff you for the fees but you pay their FedEx bill.
Nice profile by the way, though picture looks familiar.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 4/28/10 10:47am
Msg #333948

Yes, my thought was if they aren't paying Fedex I'll be shocked if I get paid. That said, I agreed to work for them, and I take the chance with getting paid or not... however, I didn't sign up for the risk of their Fedex fee...)

Thanks for the profile comments--a friend drew that caricature of me years ago for a company newsletter and I've always liked it because it's so cheery. It is me, but that little picture has been around a long time. Smile

Reply by jba/fl on 4/28/10 11:05am
Msg #333950

By any chance, have you checked your tracking number

to see if it did indeed proceed to its destination? I am curious as to how accurate my info from FedEx actually is.

Reply by LKT/CA on 4/28/10 11:32am
Msg #333955

I totally agree with Cari....

After reading the various replies, pondering the variations and possibilities - docs in dead letter/package bin, borrowers losing rate lock, etc.) I would pay the $15 or $20 and ship the package - then add that to the bill and notify TC. If TC did not include the shipping fee in my check, I'd never work for them again. If they didn't send a check at all within 30 days, I'd go after them via their regulatory agency - and of course never work for them again.

Whether in business or personal, throughout my life I have taken care of something that was "somebody else's problem" and people have taken care of things for me that were "not their problem"..............so, such is life......I'm sure I'll be faced with something in the future I'll have to take care of that's "somebody else's problem".

Since I have never been faced with having to pay for docs to be shipped, there would be no reason to believe this is a trend or becoming the norm. I'd pay to ship the package for the borrower's sake (wouldn't contact them). This would be the one and one time only I'd ever do this.

I waste $15 or $20 eating out on the weekend........and of the many signings I've completed and have been paid well for - it's really not that big of a deal (to me) to just take care of this one incident and get the docs to their destination.

JMHO

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/28/10 1:41pm
Msg #333975

Re: I totally agree with Cari....

In the end, it all comes back one way are another...IMO

Reply by Dave_CA on 4/28/10 6:23pm
Msg #334033

another opinion

I just checked with the Manager at my local FedEx office and he said if you put the recipient as both the sender & receiver and mark bill recipient it will be taken to them and the driver will either get cash or a valid account # but it will go to the recipient.

Reply by BJagent/CA on 4/28/10 7:57pm
Msg #334048

Re: I totally agree with Cari....

overnight shipping can be higher than $15 or $20. Just shipped a 100 pg loan package for a friend this week from CA to MO which ran $50.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.