Notary Rotary
Chase Bank
Notary Discussion History

Chase Bank
Go Back to August, 2010 Index

Posted by Robin L. May on 8/20/10 7:20pm
Msg #349807

Chase Bank

Would like some info on Chase Bank closings. A family member is refinancing and was told by someone at Chase that they only do closings in their branches now. That they no longer send notaries out to do home closings. True or False?

Reply by doofus on 8/20/10 7:27pm
Msg #349810

much false

Reply by GWest on 8/20/10 7:28pm
Msg #349811

I have had 4 Chase closings this week, and 2 on Monday. I also handling signings at Chase Bank, had about 4 this month so far.

Reply by Robin L. May on 8/20/10 7:55pm
Msg #349812

Thanks, I was pretty sure it was a lie, I will call to complain on monday. I havn't done one for chase in quite some time, thought there was a slight chance it might be true.

Reply by Frank/NC on 8/20/10 8:04pm
Msg #349814

Just did one for them today n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 8/20/10 8:33pm
Msg #349818

The family member can also request that you handle the signing, if that's what you both want. It doesn't always work out. I've had friends that wanted me to do their signings, and the lender used tc's that I won't work for because they low-ballers. Oh, well.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 8/20/10 9:10pm
Msg #349823

If BO requested wouldn't the TC have to use you?

I could be wrong, but I thought that if the borrower requests a certain signing agent the TC/Lender has to actually use them. I would think that if a BO requests someone they know what the charge is going to be, after all, they are paying for it anyway.

Like I said, I could be wrong I just thought it was the BO's right to pick who the people and companies, within reason, are used to preform certain aspects of the loan process. It may be a state by state thing also.

Reply by Robin L. May on 8/20/10 9:38pm
Msg #349827

Re: If BO requested wouldn't the TC have to use you?

thanks everybody for the great info, I will be calling monday!

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 8/21/10 7:18am
Msg #349861

BO can't necessarily select signing agent

The liability to insure the entire settlement process (including the signing part) rests on the TC, and the use of any particular signing agent OR the choice to even have it signed remotely is entirely their discretion as well as the lenders. They might allow, they might not, there would be situations where they might allow this particular service to be shopped in advance directly by borrower - but it is their liability, and that makes it their discretion.

Now - the borrower DOES have the right to select his own TC, but the lender still has the right to refuse to use a particular choice. Lenders keep 'approved' lists of TC/Settlement Agencies, and for good reason.

It NEVER hurts to ask, though.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 8/21/10 10:38am
Msg #349884

Re: BO can't necessarily select signing agent

"Now - the borrower DOES have the right to select his own TC, but the lender still has the right to refuse to use a particular choice. Lenders keep 'approved' lists of TC/Settlement Agencies, and for good reason."

I think that is where I might have gotten confused. Thanks for clearing it up Renee. Smile

I knew the BO had certain rights to select certain things but since it is rarely done I couldn't remember just what it was that they could select.

Reply by parkerc/ME on 8/22/10 10:35am
Msg #349973

Re: Family member handling signing

Also depends on your state's notary law on whether you can notarize documents for family members.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 8/20/10 10:28pm
Msg #349837

False. n/m

Reply by doglover/CA on 8/21/10 4:11am
Msg #349857

I have done Chase Bank closings both at borrower's homes or place of business and Chase Bank branches.

Reply by Louisiana33 on 8/21/10 10:14am
Msg #349875

In my area, Chase does the majority of closings in the branches, however, they use independent notaries. In Louisiana, Civil Law Notaries have so many powers that Chase does not want the liability. Therefore, they contract the closings to notaries who meet the borrowers at the branches.

Reply by Ellen Michaels on 10/10/12 1:32pm
Msg #437927

Not so, I have done Chase loan signings at the bank branch and at the borrower's home. I guess it depends on scheduling circumstances.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.