Notary Rotary
UPS and the Post Office
Notary Discussion History

UPS and the Post Office
Go Back to April, 2011 Index

Posted by parkerc/ME on 4/12/11 10:38am
Msg #379495

UPS and the Post Office

(Tell me whether this should go in Leisure, not sure.) Has anyone noticed that UPS is sending some of their basic delivery (i.e., ground?) to the U.S. Post Office? I have an on-line order that the supplier sent UPS with UPS tracking number. I checked the UPS tracking site today and the latest posting says 4/11/2011 9:54 A.M. Package transferred to post office 3:08 P.M. Received by the local post office. Will be interesting to see whether "white" delivers today instead of "brown".

Reply by MAC/WA on 4/12/11 10:46am
Msg #379497

UPS told me that the USPS has the monopoly on documents shipping by ground. Private carriers can only ship docs by air, (packages can be shipped either way).

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/12/11 11:00am
Msg #379499

I haven't had that but have noticed that

Amazon.com now ships USPS instead of UPS....

3 deliveries around Christmas were 2-3 days late - good thing I ordered early - I was not pleased.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 4/12/11 11:01am
Msg #379500

Re: I haven't had that but have noticed that

I see a UPS truck regularly at our local Post Office. It always looks so funny to me. Going to have to ask our postmaster what the deal is.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/12/11 11:06am
Msg #379502

I often get packages that are sent via Fedex and delivered by the post office.
The super saver shipping options appear to go by the carrier (Fedex or UPS) and then delivered by the post office.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 4/12/11 1:59pm
Msg #379517

Don't know details, but FEDEX and USPS have a

contractural relationship.
Ever notice a fedex box in locaated front of each Post Office?
Think that they also share shipping duties.

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 4/12/11 11:10am
Msg #379503

I've had endless problems with UPS

When I order things online, I specifically request that either FedEx or USPS be used. UPS frequently can not find my address and I have had a few very unpleasant experiences with UPS.

I also find UPS' store to be overpriced on every service they offer, and I put very little trust in UPS employees as notaries. I would love to see another Vancura case filed against UPS to shut down their notary operation.

Reply by HisHughness on 4/12/11 11:19am
Msg #379506

UPS = UnProfessional Snots n/m

Reply by A S Johnson on 4/12/11 11:57am
Msg #379510

Both UPS and FedEx use the USPS (post office) for what is call "last mile delivery". A shipment going to a rural address the carrier does not have any other deliveries in that area that day.
Some lower priced contracts for large shippers are shipped via UPS or FedEx frieght, on a pallet via a over the road LTL trailer to a regional USPS hub for address delivery by the mailman.
Same as above, but shipped to a the carrier hub, broken down to be deliveried to a local post office for delevery by the mailman.

Reply by parkerc/ME on 4/12/11 4:40pm
Msg #379537

"White" (USPS) delivered. I asked the carrier about UPS and he said they often pick up the last leg of a UPS delivery. I have no idea why. It certainly wasn't because UPS didn't have any other deliveries in this area today. I live in a large housing development and there always seems to be a UPS truck making a delivery somewhere around here every day. In fact, I saw the UPS truck drive down my street just before lunch today. IMO they could do away with UPS...their service is lousy anyway and I prefer FedEx.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 4/12/11 5:16pm
Msg #379548

What I would be interested in knowing is how much the USPS collects from UPS or FedEx for picking up the last leg.

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 4/12/11 7:44pm
Msg #379559

Could it have something to do with the fact that

the USPS can leave a package in a mailbox while UPS has to leave the package with a person, and by having the USPS leave the package in the mailbox this frees the UPS driver to make other deliveries instead of having to keep trying back until someone is there?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/12/11 8:26pm
Msg #379561

UPS doesn't have to leave a package with a person

unless the sender has requested the package be signed for - I can't count the number of packages that just get left outside our garage doors.

Reply by jba/fl on 4/12/11 8:48pm
Msg #379566

Re: UPS doesn't have to leave a package with a person

or my front porch, worth mega bucks! Irritating sometimes.

Reply by NJDiva on 4/12/11 9:42pm
Msg #379569

UPS doesn't have to leave a package with a person

My UPS driver has a key to my front porch...tee hee

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 4/13/11 5:14am
Msg #379586

see UPS Mail Innovations ...they did partner with USPS n/m

Reply by parkerc/ME on 4/13/11 2:05pm
Msg #379643

Thanks! Checked it. That answered my question n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.